which vr headset for sim racing?

Associate
OP
that works but only after disabling my KB software,many thanks.

well I got hospital today at 2pm so hopefully be back to try it later,as I said I struggle to wear with glasses maybe because I have a big head lol,going to grab some cheap small pound shop glasses to test and then I can decide if I need smaller glasses or shrink my head.

Associate
OP
ok so finally managed to sort my glasses out,what I noticed is that my glasses would fit thru the plastic removeable shroud but the foam on the shroud overhangs the plastic frame and was squishing my frames in,so I took some small curved scissors and trimmed back the foam by about 5mm each side and now the glasses fit fine.

ive only tried assetto corsa,thoughts are I love the 3d immersion but I cant get past how blurry the cars look once they get a second or 2 infront of you.

I have set the pixel density to 1.5 and it looked better but I'm not sure I can live with how it looks,reading the braking markers are also hard...I think I might just go back to triple screens for racing.

Associate
I haven't been having those kind of graphical problems on Project Cars 2. I have most things set to high apart from reflections and shadows.

This is with a GTX 1080, I have very rare frame drops on occasion but not game breaking.

Project Cars 2 is considerably better in VR than its predecessor. Perhaps part of the problem is that Asseta Corsa and Project Cars 1 are older games and the VR implementation is shoehorned in.

I would expect that future games have better VR implementation.

Associate
OP
I was maxed out on graphics and on 1.5 PD,i tried loads of settings and couldn't get comfy with the graphic blur at distance.

the driving was amazing,feeling so close to the road in the open wheelers and felt more natural to drive than triples but I think I will wait until the resolution gets better before trying again.

Soldato
While it's never going to be as sharp as a monitor, don't be too quick to write it off just yet.
Here's what I'm currently running and don't have the issues you're describing. I don't wear glasses though fwiw.

OcJTtAG.jpg

Associate
OP
ok guys well I tried to perservere with the cv1 but wasn't happy..i did manage to get my hands on a Lenovo VMR headset to try and well..i sold the cv1 :)

its so much clearer for me than the cv1,head tracking is great and not seeing any motion blur.
down side is the sweetspot takes a bit of fudging around if like me you wear glasses,the cv1 beats it in this department for me but the overall experience in assetto corsa the WMR is my choice.

if we could only take the lenses from the cv1 and put them in the Lenovo..

oh and the screen door effect I could not get past I barely notice it in the Lenovo..its there but its different,much fainter.

Associate
OP
I don't get it..he says he set them both to use the same amount of pixels then complained that the Samsung wasn't as clear..isn't that like setting a 4k monitor to 1920x1080 then saying the 4k its no better than a standard monitor?

Soldato
I don't get it..he says he set them both to use the same amount of pixels then complained that the Samsung wasn't as clear..isn't that like setting a 4k monitor to 1920x1080 then saying the 4k its no better than a standard monitor?

Lol, how can some people think this is a fair way to compare hardware. Imagine a GPU reviewer... Today we are going to test the RX64 Vega against a 1080 but because the RX Vega runs at 1450 core clock we have to be fair and reduce the 1080 core clock to the same. Hmm, RX Vega wins folks. :rolleyes:

He even clarifies the reason he can read distance markers better on Rift, it's because it runs at a larger scale. Well duh!

Not even the most basic efforts were made to ensure identical test settings, in fact he went out of his way to hand an advantage to the Rift.

Soldato
ok guys well I tried to perservere with the cv1 but wasn't happy..i did manage to get my hands on a Lenovo VMR headset to try and well..i sold the cv1 :)

its so much clearer for me than the cv1,head tracking is great and not seeing any motion blur.
down side is the sweetspot takes a bit of fudging around if like me you wear glasses,the cv1 beats it in this department for me but the overall experience in assetto corsa the WMR is my choice.

if we could only take the lenses from the cv1 and put them in the Lenovo..

oh and the screen door effect I could not get past I barely notice it in the Lenovo..its there but its different,much fainter.

Try this fix to see if it improves your sweetspot on the Lenovo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/..._the_lenovo_explorer/?st=jfmz0x4e&sh=35dcc597

Incidentally, your experience with CV1 is identical to mine, I found myself hating the IQ problems. I ended up with a Lenovo and finally a Samsung Odyssey. Both were improved for IQ over CV1 IMHO.

Associate
OP
yes I tried that but because I wear glasses I couldn't really get any closer,without glasses it was a definate improvement tho.

I almost bought a Samsung,someone was selling one for £420 on another forum but I chickened out lol

Associate
Does anybody else prefer the Lenovo headset over the CV1? I guess not too many people have tried all the different VR headsets out there.
I've got a sim racer seat with a T300 but I cant get the TV close enough to it to get the correct FOV so I think VR might be the way forward.
Looking at the specs of the Lenovo it appears to have a lot more pixels than either the Hive or Rift too.

Soldato
I dug out a review on reddit that I can partially agree with based on my experience with a different brand of WMR. My main gripe was comfort level, I simply can't understand why the headband is the way to go. It grips your head extremely uncomfortably, feels like it's falling off the front of your face, and needs constant adjustment trying to get the tiny sweet spot. The original Vive strap is a step up let alone the oculus or DAS.

Ill copy this directly from the post, as I've no experience.

Resolution/screen - ok it does look ever so slightly higher res but I wouldn’t jump ship for it. No ghosting which is good. Optics are better than vive after adjusting head 100x. Contrast is crap and colours are bland. Like seriously has me worried for my pimax. Look behind in the theatre on big screen and it’s grey. Nights in Skyrim are grey. Play space pirate and the colours are meh. Brightness is also lacking. I always feel like I need to turn it up.

Tracking is kind of moot if you intend on using it in a sim rig, but chances are you'll want to do more:)

Personally unless space is an issue and you don't fancy cables and sensors cluttering up the area, id go for a rift or a vive all ends up.

Back
Top Bottom