Who here owns a Mini?

nas

nas

Associate
I could almost understand that logic if the absurb premium applied only to the JCW models, but since they don't have a special engine like the M cars (the M2 doesn't really have a special engine either), then why should the cost be so high?

I'd bet my left nut that BMW will increase their premiums quite dramatically before long.
Mines was £600 for the year with a £250 excess and I own a JCW; its come in handy thats for sure.

Soldato
Thinking about going for the GP1 (done the 2 already). Problem is. I've never owned a car which is more than 3 years old before.

How reliable is the MK1 GP? Have any of you MK1 owners experienced any major issues?

Soldato
I had a GP1 and on the whole it generally OK.

I had the following mods on mine:

Janspeed Manifold & de-cat pipe
17% Alta SC Pulley
Uprated coil pack & ignition leads
Eibach Springs (10mm drop over my stock ride height)

All the work was done by Lohen.

I had an issue with a crack in the rocker cover which caused it to leak oil over the exhaust manifold. The the other issue which caused a lot of hassle and eventually caused me to fall out of love for the car and get rid of it was an issue with the sensors on the inlet manifold. Took 4/5 months to diagnose and was due to them being dirty apparently. What was happening was when driving the car hard it was causing the car to go in to limp home mode and on a few occasions it caused the car to refuse to start . I eventually found the cause of the problem from a random post on Minitorque and showed it to the Dealer who then were able to fix it. By then though all love was lost.

Mine was number 1016 in case you want to steer clear of it... lol. I think I have pictures of it somewhere on this thread.

Man of Honour
Right, best we just agree to disagree on that one.

Just look at the relative pricing, the £250 option is only cheaper if no claims are made. As soon as you make a claim the extra excess wipes the savings on premium out. The 250 option also discourages claims for smaller items.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just passed my test, parents have passed on an 02 Mini Cooper. Looking for a phone mount, my options are either windscreen or one of those weird CD player mounts I think. The air vent ones aren't compatiable with the mini are they?

Soldato
Looking to get a Bluetooth unit for my Mini. What I want to know is if its a standard fit or if there will be any complications for installing???

Think im going to Halfords and get them to install it, just wanted to make sure that I wont run into any issues and get charged even more!! (I know its a ripoff but would rather have a comeback if the unit or install was problematic..)

Man of Honour
So TLC is just 3 services now? I'll ask how much they charge for a service when we pick up

If only, it's about 1 service. Servicing is mileage based or 2 years, whichever comes first. So if you do average mileage it's likely all you'll get is 1 service as they even exclude the first brake fluid change now.

I've no idea why they have done this - TLC (and BMW Service Inclusive) were excellent products.

Soldato
If only, it's about 1 service. Servicing is mileage based or 2 years, whichever comes first. So if you do average mileage it's likely all you'll get is 1 service as they even exclude the first brake fluid change now.

I've no idea why they have done this - TLC (and BMW Service Inclusive) were excellent products.

Haha yeah there is no point in that then.

Associate
Have purchased some bits from them in the past and have a good reputation. I believe they don't let you into the workshop though whilst they're working unlike some other garages.
What are you thinking of doing?

Back
Top Bottom