Who here owns a Mini?

Soldato
Yeah should have mentioned that ! Cooper was a 7 speed DCT and my wife’s is the 8 speed auto it also has the new revision 2.0 engine that may be helping with the economy not a lot of info on it but runs a modified cooling system which only requires one radiator when the older engine needed two which is why the JCW model doesn’t have fog lights. (My wife’s still has the second radiator as it’s an auto)

First 4 gears on the 8 speed are very short, 4th tops out about 90ish so it is surprisingly quick to 90-100 once rolling. From 30 it can pull a couple of car lengths on my friends DSG Golf R which surprised both of us although the Mini is a lot lighter and on a few rolling road graphs I have seen the engine is putting out closer to 250bhp than 230bhp.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool :) 52-55MPG is very impressive because the best I've seen in the manual Cooper S is 47. I do wish her Cooper S had the auto box because I get very little enjoyment from driving the manual version.

Soldato
What revs is the manual box sitting at cruising at 70mph ? I’ve had a manual on a test drive but didn’t pay a lot of attention to the revs. The auto is at 1800 revs at 70 I expect this is the main reason it can hit good economy figures.

Soldato
What revs is the manual box sitting at cruising at 70mph ? I’ve had a manual on a test drive but didn’t pay a lot of attention to the revs. The auto is at 1800 revs at 70 I expect this is the main reason it can hit good economy figures.

It's quite a bit higher than 1800. If I remember correctly it's around 2600-2700.

Soldato
I do wish her Cooper S had the auto box because I get very little enjoyment from driving the manual version.

Funny you should mention that, I have the ZF8 in my M140i and one of the huge draws of jumping into the Cooper S is the manual box and chuckability of the Mini.

Man of Honour
I find it hard to fault our Cooper. It's much quicker than our old R56 Cooper and is very efficient too.

Easiest pad change in the world too! Never changed the brakes on an 18 month old car before, everything went together wonderfully.

Soldato
I find it hard to fault our Cooper. It's much quicker than our old R56 Cooper and is very efficient too.

Easiest pad change in the world too! Never changed the brakes on an 18 month old car before, everything went together wonderfully.

I think if I could change one thing it would be the shape of the boot. The size isn't awful, but the weird shape of it when you take the false floor out makes it much less practial than its competitors.

Soldato
Currently battling hard to get my old mini back on the road, originally a 1.3i auto with a standard 1275, it will be a cooper 1.3i with a manual box. Various light weight parts etc, and some because racecar fun.

mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

Associate
Hi all, hope its ok to post it here. I've owned every generation of the new Mini and currently own both an R53 and R55. I have a youtube channel which covers 'how to' videos linked to all three generations from fitting rear diffusers to changing your spark plugs. Theres also other car content on the channel.

Click on this link to view my channel and subscribe for future content: Click Here

Thanks for taking the time :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have countryman S E on order for Sep. Quite a departure from 2 X5 in a row and prior to that 5 series touring but looking forward to something smaller and less obnoxious. Really enjoyed the test drive and found the hybrid system very seamless. New batteries in the July build run which give it useful range boost.

Man of Honour
That's one expensive Mini :D

That's true, pretty much all options ticked too I'm afraid (with the exception of comfort access which I thought might irritate me). I have a good relationship with the BMW corporate chap in our local cooper so at least got a very chunky discount ;)

Company car so rational decision making slightly put on one side though!

Associate
i have a 19 plate 5door cooper S sport on short lease (6 month) which I am absolutely loving. However, I have been looking at longer term leases now that I've decided I want one for a few years and I've been offered a few options on a countryman and 5dr cooper s, but the best offer I've had is on a Clubman. I was wondering if anyone's driven the new 19 plate clubman and has any opinions about how it compares driving-wise to the 5dr? I quite like the look of the clubman, I think it is actually the best looking mini so wouldn't mind getting that as long as it is as engaging/fun to drive as the 5dr

Soldato
Picked this up a few day's ago.
F56 JCW in Thunder Grey.

u6TWpDW.jpg

Q5jTmxa.jpg

Looking to upgrade to the Pro exhaust so will have the stock JCW exhaust going spare.

Last edited:
Soldato
How accurate is the reserve fuel estimates on the F series? Does it over compensate?

Edit - anyhow I managed to refuel in time. Misread the gauge and thought there was more to go. Managed 42mpg on the 12 mile journey home from work. Just to see how frugal the engine was with a bit of restraint from me, I didn't even try that hard, even with a few WoT bursts. Impressive, one of the reasons I chose this over the i30n.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom