Who here owns a Mini?

Soldato
Nope but might give it a try for fun.

Same here :)

I drove my girlfriend's F55 Cooper S into work this morning, and every time I drive it I enjoy it more and more. It's such a planted, fun little thing and that 189BHP engine seems so eager and torquey. I've always been a sucker for small hatchbacks though which is why I loved my Audi S1 so much.

However the Cooper has some space limitations, and the more I think about it the Clubman solves all of those issues without having to give up on the interior quality or subjecting myself to drive an SUV like the Countryman. The Golf GTi is a close contender but it feels like a noticeable step down once you sit in it and start interacting with the switchgear, steering wheel etc.

Soldato
I went and had a very brief look at a Clubman yesterday. Whilst the boot is ~80L bigger than our 5 door Cooper S, the false floor and awkward boot shape appear to make it less practical than a traditional C-segment hatchback like the Golf, new Focus, A-class etc.

Associate
No real surprise with the power, considering the clubman/countryman will be getting 300bhp. It will be interesting to see this put power down vs the awd of the countryman though. Around a track, the GP will have no issues, but I can see the GP struggling to get grip off the line.

Soldato
I have until Sunday to make up my mind whether to extend the warranty on my girlfriend's F55 Cooper S. They want £592 for an annual comprehensive policy (£100 excess) and it includes emergency assistance. The car has not had one issue within the factory warranty period.

It sounds so expensive for a small hatchback :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Loved my F56 Mini Cooper, deceptively quick despite being a 1499cc petrol. Considering going back to a Cooper S sometime next year and getting it mapped for some extra umph.

Man of Honour
Fiancées F56 needs new pads already at just over 20k miles. Seems absolutely ridiculous, are they made of cheese? Got 50k out of the ones on her R56 :rolleyes:

Soldato
Fiancées F56 needs new pads already at just over 20k miles. Seems absolutely ridiculous, are they made of cheese? Got 50k out of the ones on her R56 :rolleyes:

Yep mine failed it's first MOT because of rear brake wear and this was 3 years/25k miles in. I didn't even think to check them beforehand. I asked to see the wear in them as I didn't believe it but yep they were really worn down.

Fronts needed changing at about 20k miles.

Soldato
It is a concern of mine for my wife’s Mini as it has 4 pot brakes and the dealer charges £560 just for a front pad change ! (I’ll do them myself when the time comes under £100 for genuine pads online)

The fronts are wearing well but the rear pads are noticeably down at 8k, I expect it will need new rear pads by 20k.

Her old Countryman needed discs and pads all round at 40k ish which I thought was a poor wear rate as her previous Zafira had the original brakes until 70k odd.

Soldato
I have until Sunday to make up my mind whether to extend the warranty on my girlfriend's F55 Cooper S. They want £592 for an annual comprehensive policy (£100 excess) and it includes emergency assistance. The car has not had one issue within the factory warranty period.

It sounds so expensive for a small hatchback :(

Despite the silly cost, we erred on the side of caution and renewed the warranty. Probably should have got the Cooper and not the Cooper S (I know [TW]Fox, I know) :p

Soldato
Despite the silly cost, we erred on the side of caution and renewed the warranty. Probably should have got the Cooper and not the Cooper S (I know [TW]Fox, I know) :p

I hear you brother!

We pay monthly for our warranty (£50 per month). Everything about the Cooper S we have has been a pain, 18" runflats which are tragic, reduced fuel consumption, expensive warranty, and a harsh ride. But the missus loves it, and it was basically fully loaded - the cost to change to a 1.5 now would be even worse.

Two rear tyres last week, £300 - on an F56 Mini :(

Soldato
I weighed up a Cooper over a Cooper S or JCW. Maintenance costs are identical bar the more expensive brake spares for the JCW 4 pots which are around £150 more over a normal set of disc/pads and you pay £150 a year more for the warranty on the Cooper S/JCW. Tyre sizes are down to wheel options.

It’s much easier finding a well spec’d sub year old Cooper S or JCW. When I was looking the only way to get a good spec Cooper was buying new where I could only get a 10% discount. I ended up getting a 3 month old JCW with 90 miles on it with 35% off which was only 2-3k ish more than a new discounted same spec Cooper. I should get a large portion of that 2k back when I sell it.

Not a huge difference in fuel use between the 1.5 and 2.0. My wife’s JCW average is sitting at 38mpg with mainly sort trips. Tall top gear means 1800 revs at 70mph so gets 52-55mpg on longer trips. I think that’s pretty good I had a Cooper for a couple of weeks and swapped with her and she was getting just under a 40mpg average so not a great deal in it.

Back
Top Bottom