Who here owns a Mini?

Soldato
Looks fair. With quite a lot of red it breaks it up a bit. I don’t like when it’s black on black on black.

Nearly 3 months in with the Countryman now and 2600 miles. Average fuel economy is 40mpg which is fair, it sees a good mixture of town and motorway driving. Engine feels a little bit freer to drive but also used to how the car reacts now. Feels very solid to drive and in poor weather it was nice and relaxing still (M62 torrential rain over the moors).

I am still very happy with the car. The led headlights are excellent at night, probably one of my favourite items.

Also pleased with the sunroof, parking sensors/camera, dimming side and rear view mirror for night driving, paying the extra for the premium plus pack was imo worthwhile.

The car is fitted with Goodyears, whatever the factory issue tyre is (17” wheels). They seem fine for handling and braking but can get TC light when setting off from standstill in wet/slippy conditions, so imagine colder and damp it will only get worse.

Soldato
What extra chrome bits do you get?

I don’t mind chrome on some other colours. Actually prefer it to black on some but it’s too noticeable for me on black especially
Team chrome checking in...

uc

In not normally a fan of lots of chrome but I like it on certain cars. I'm just glad it's not around the windows.

The extra chrome pack adds it around the HVAC controls and vents, and the brake ducts. Not a fan of the extra myself. Example below.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Mini crew: If anyone ever comes by a set of OEM black interior roof trim (visors, grab handles, etc.) for an R50/R53, please let me know :) Many thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
Is there a reason the Mini only has Apple carplay and not android auto? Was looking at a Countryman earlier and was a bit surprised.

Android Auto is only available with idrive 7 or newer and I don't think any Mini got it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Test drove both the 1.5 Cooper and 2.0 Cooper S auto's today. 1.5 was much nippier than I thought it would be, but the 2.0 was a little rocket.
Just have to decide if we can live with one. Anyone do long trips in the S? Just worried if the engine noise might get a bit wearing after a while.

Associate
Test drove both the 1.5 Cooper and 2.0 Cooper S auto's today. 1.5 was much nippier than I thought it would be, but the 2.0 was a little rocket.
Just have to decide if we can live with one. Anyone do long trips in the S? Just worried if the engine noise might get a bit wearing after a while.
Wifes got a Cooper S Countryman, engine noise never bothers either of us.

I test drove a JCW Clubman the other day, very nearly bought it but the monthlies would have killed me so backed out.

Soldato
I had the F56 JCW for 4 years. Cabin noise was never really an issue. Though the ride with Runflats were so I switched to standard tyres.

Soldato

I think some of the engine noise is artificial via the stereo our F56 quiets down when you put it in eco mode and louder in sports mode.

Never found the S or JCW noisey on long trips swapping out the runflats to PS4s did help though.

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese Android Auto replacement centre consoles you can get for Minis? My missus has an old R56 with the analogue speedo in the middle that she loves and doesn't want to sell but misses some of the newer features I've got in mine. Years ago I fitted a Parrot bluetooth system to it, which has kept her happy for a while, but now she's tasked me to look into an AA replacement. I've seen a few around and they aren't massively expensive, but I'm always a bit dubious of Aliexpress electronics.

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese Android Auto replacement centre consoles you can get for Minis? My missus has an old R56 with the analogue speedo in the middle that she loves and doesn't want to sell but misses some of the newer features I've got in mine. Years ago I fitted a Parrot bluetooth system to it, which has kept her happy for a while, but now she's tasked me to look into an AA replacement. I've seen a few around and they aren't massively expensive, but I'm always a bit dubious of Aliexpress electronics.

There's a thread over on Mini Torque:

I bought one and was happy with it.
The only issue really was that you lose the ability to set the date and time of the car, which needs to be correct for the condition based servicing to work. You can get it set with BMW service software - it's in that thread.

Soldato
Thanks, that was one of the threads I'd read through actually. Considering the fact that her time is always wrong anyway and she never changes it between GMT and BST, I don't think she'd be that bothered to lose that ability.

Was it this one that you bought?

Associate
Yes that was the one I bought. They’ve gone up in price quite a bit.

I thought I’d mention the time/date thing because if you have a flat battery, then the car will nag you to set the time/date but you won’t be able to! Well, not without using service software.

Soldato
Ah, damn, didn't think of that! It might be worth investing in the software if it can be found cheap enough, but not a deal breaker.

The listing says they're Android 13 now which might explain the price bump. There are some that are a bit cheaper with decent reviews on Android 12 but they have the speedo still and I don't think they look as good.

Back
Top Bottom