Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Associate
I picked up my 182 at the weekend and apart from driving it home, haven't really had the chance to go out in it properly, what with this crap weather :p but so far really enjoying it. Managed to get a quick detail in on sunday before the rain so it's looking pretty good.

I've seen a lot of people talk about this RSTuner, I was thinking of getting a remap done, was originally looking at k-tec for it but this does seem to be the cheapest way to do it. What do you guys think?

I've only got a decat on so far, although it wasn't through choice :p When I picked the car up, I thought the guy that sold me it had said it had the decat on the car and the standard cat was in the box in the boot. So I get the car home and the car was making a funny buzzing sound, from what I thought was the decat. I had it in my head this was the normal sound the decat produced, so I decided I don't like this sound and go get it swapped for the standard cat. I turn up at the garage and explain all this to the guy, so he goes off to change it. He looks puzzled at the underside of my car, turns out it was the cat that was on, but there was a massive hole in it. So heres me thinking that it was the decat casuing the crappy sound. He swaps them over and currently loving the sound the decat is producing. The problem is I'll need to look at getting a sports cat come MOT time, but that's not for a while yet, thankfully. I'll hopefully get a few other things done in the near future, new exhaust, obviously the cat and uprate the standard brakes, which I'm not overly impressed with.

I've also signed up on cliosport, so will hopefully get the most out of my car :)

Anyway enough of talking, here's some pics

Don't bother with a sports cat on a 182, various threads on cliosport have mentioned that the standard cat wasn't very restrictive and you won't notice much difference. Just keep the decat on and try and get a standard one from a scrappy for MOT time :)

As for the brakes, Brembo HC's with Ferodo DS-2500 pads and braided lines!

Associate
Don't bother with a sports cat on a 182, various threads on cliosport have mentioned that the standard cat wasn't very restrictive and you won't notice much difference. Just keep the decat on and try and get a standard one from a scrappy for MOT time :)

As for the brakes, Brembo HC's with Ferodo DS-2500 pads and braided lines!

Thanks for that, getting a standard cat for MOT purposes would work out a lot cheaper, besides I do like the decat. I did read on cliosport about the brembo HC's and ferodo pads, seem like the best option and not too bad on the price front either.

Associate
Well it seems I've been beaten by that price then :p That's fantastic you managed to pick it up for that. You got any pics of it? (I'm guessing probably somewhere in this thread :p).

When I was looking for a 182 the majority around this price were either a year older, more miles on the clock or not the colour I wanted. So seems they've started to creep back up in price a bit.

Associate
The guy was wanting £6500 for it.

I think a combo of him not keeping cards close to his chest and my ninja negotiation skills helped secure a decent price :p

Or maybe because we were at the start of the downturn and he had just bought another car so was looking to recoup some cash and make a quick sale.

edit: You still got a great price and a lot of car for the money - enjoy!

Last edited:
Associate
It has a roof, what's the problem? :)

It has???!!!! I better go check that out, think I would notice something like that :p

Driving in the rain isn't my idea of fun, plus most of the decent driving roads are flooded around here, don't think it's stopped raining since I picked up the car. Don't get me wrong I have been driving it, but around town and in the rain isn't the best, it's just like driving a standard 1.2 clio.

Soldato
I have RS tuned my 172 and I highly recommend it.

I'm getting 41mpg combined now and it goes like the clappers - the idle is smoother and it pulls a lot better lower down.

The 5,500 rpm kick goes but it pulls really hard.

My mate had a 172 and we used to be level, same mod's, now mine goes a couple of car lengths ahead!

Soldato
I've got the RS Tuner on my 172 as well. It's well worth it in my opinion.

It isn't so much of a power remap but more of a smoother remap. After the remap it feels so much eager to accelerate from low down revs, or standing start. I bought one and sold it on after :)

Associate
That's what I was looking at, getting the tuner and then selling it on, making the remap even more worthwhile, or even picking up one that someone is selling. I keep checking cliosport for one that's going cheap.

Soldato
Yeah FastChips is the only place unless you can find one 2nd hand, but then you need to buy an unlock code from FastChip to be able to use it on your own car (presuming it's been used on a car already).

Soldato
Think i'm going to pick up a 172 for the winter thansk to this thread! Got a couple of questions for you all. First up whats the difference between the phase 1 and 2 cars and how can i tell which phase a car is? Theres no mention of this in most autotrader ads. Also as i'll probably only keep it for 6 months, am i right in saying that the services are due 36,54 and 72K?

Any buying tips and things to look out for with the cars would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Front and rear lights are different on the phase 2,thats probably the simplest way to spot the ph1/ph2. If you are going to get one make sure that the cambelt has been done.

Soldato
So this would be a phase 1?
ph1172.jpg

And this aphase 2?
ph2172.jpg

Noob alert!

Back
Top Bottom