Who here owns a Renaultsport?

Commissario
I always went for 205's as I preferred the rim to not be as exposed.

You could buy some 15's, a lot of owners drop down a rim size so they can get a preferred tyre.

Toyo T1R Proxes, PilotSport 3's, P Zero's all available in 195 and 205 size, you can get AD08R's in 205 size as well as Eagle F1's.

OcUK Staff
I always went for 205's as I preferred the rim to not be as exposed.

You could buy some 15's, a lot of owners drop down a rim size so they can get a preferred tyre.

Toyo T1R Proxes, PilotSport 3's, P Zero's all available in 195 and 205 size, you can get AD08R's in 205 size as well as Eagle F1's.

Thanks shall do same, are the wheels 6.5" or 7" wide do you know?

Associate
172s always came with 195, 182s came with 205.

I think a lot stuck with 195 because its obviously cheaper.

I use Pilot Sport 3s in 16" for road use, have a set of R888s with cheap 15" alloys for track use. Just depends on what you want from it.

Soldato
Having had NS2R, 595RSR and AD08R all for both daily and track use over the years the only one I'd go back to was the AD08R. 595's all started falling apart with cracking across the tread (Common problem) and my NS2R weren't even round which resulted in terrible noise (Still had tremendous grip though)

OcUK Staff
Having had NS2R, 595RSR and AD08R all for both daily and track use over the years the only one I'd go back to was the AD08R. 595's all started falling apart with cracking across the tread (Common problem) and my NS2R weren't even round which resulted in terrible noise (Still had tremendous grip though)

Good feedback, which had more grip AD08R or NS-2R?

Done some shopping around and a set in 205/45/16 is:
AD08R: £390
NS-2R: £280
Toyo R1R: £300
595 RSR: £280

Having had 595RSR on the M3, never again, I felt they were crap in anything but dry warm weather and yep mine also cracked across the tread, very cheap nasty tyre.
Had the older AD08 on my EVO, they transformed it for feel and incredible grip.

AD08R sounds like safe bet as I know they are a tyre that give tremendous feel and are also quite good in the wet too.

Soldato
I wouldn't really want to make a call between the two when it comes to which one grips best but I will say that of the pair, the NS2R is the only one which has overheated on me (On track) and left me with almost no grip, I've hammered AD08R's all day in the summer and they've just taken it without issue. This could have course be down to my driving because as you know the NS2R is used as a control tyre in some series so it obviously has something going for it.

OcUK Staff
I wouldn't really want to make a call between the two when it comes to which one grips best but I will say that of the pair, the NS2R is the only one which has overheated on me (On track) and left me with almost no grip, I've hammered AD08R's all day in the summer and they've just taken it without issue. This could have course be down to my driving because as you know the NS2R is used as a control tyre in some series so it obviously has something going for it.

Yeah NS-2R is quite well regarded and at same price as 595RSR its a much better tyre. Any wet grip comparison of AD08R vs NS2R?
Nankang also have the AR1 now which is essentially a legalised slick. :D

Soldato
I ran raibsports on my 172.
Never had an issue with grip. Not enough power to really strugle tbh.

And was able to get them for £55 each on a 15" rim

Associate
Yeah NS-2R is quite well regarded and at same price as 595RSR its a much better tyre. Any wet grip comparison of AD08R vs NS2R?
Nankang also have the AR1 now which is essentially a legalised slick. :D

Dry grip between AD08R and NS2R is similar in my experience. Wet grip however the NS2R's really struggle, whereas the AD08R handle wet similar to a decent branded road tyre.

I've used both, and am currently on AD08R's on my 182 (195/50/15), which i use to commute to work every day in all conditions. I will definitely be replacing with AD08R's when needed.

Drove a 197 on rainsports, lovely bit of understeer.

People rave about these, but i've used them a couple of times on different cars, and they've been garbage, side walls are way too soft, plus they only lasted 5k miles on the front on my old 182

Soldato
Good buy Gibbo, sounds like you got a great deal.

If you want more over steer/turn in get yourself a rear ARB (e.g. Whiteline), makes for some serious round about fun.

You're not going to get any meaningful power gains without forced induction, but the Gucci N/A solution is the RS2 inlet manifold with Cams. It's expensive though for ~200bhp and I'm not sure anyone makes the RS2 inlet anymore :(

Best cheap power mods would be 182 manifold, matched inlets, ktech induction kit, de-cat and a remap. But you'll still only be at ~185bhp

Would recommend warming it up properly as the F4R is quite oil sensitive, there are soft limiters in place until the oil is warm though so the risk of over revving is quite low.

I'd avoid Cooksport springs as I've read they corrode, H&R or Eibach are the way to go if you don't stick with the standard Cup springs.

Other things I'd look at are: Better exhaust mounts, suspension bushes all round, engine and gearbox mounts, high carbon front discs and DS2500 pads

I ran Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres for a while which were ok on the road, in 205/45/16, but I'd go with AD08R if I had another Clio for track days

Associate
I've had a RS2 on one of my previous 182's. It wasn't any quicker than a standard remapped car and only put out 185bhp. Group N timing and remap is the way to go if staying with the normal breathing mods. This normally sees much better mid and high torque figures and around 190bhp. It's also very little more cost over a standard belt service and remap.

I'd love to go Catcam cams and ITB, but even then it's maxing out at 220bhp and will cost around £3-4k. Most people just go low boost turbo these days for around £2-3k this give 230-250bhp.

Associate
RS2 not as good as some people told stories about back in the day then! Glad I never purchased one :D Does look good though

Yeah they look good. But a massive pain when it comes to servicing as you can't access the oil filter easily or the dipstick at all, Plus the brace to the alternator is removed making this a weak point. I had a alternator snap at the fixing, taking out the AC pipes. Luckily it didn't lose the belt and take out the cambelt in the process.

Think they just came out at a time when tuning options where limited. Think they were about £1500+ fitted and mapped. I sold mine second hand for £800 last year. I swear that car was quicker afterwards.

Soldato
Well it’s been a while since I checked in here. Last RS was a Clio 200 and a 172 before that

Picked up this 101k mile Megane F1 Team Edition

8_F049_D91-300_F-4250-8701-_FC70_CFDE3005.jpg

Completely standard, looking forward to hitting up the twisties in it

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Well as some may have seen I am restoring a 172 cup and ideally trying to keep it original, but it seems general consensus is the stock 172 cup springs sit the car too high and are a bit float sensation at speed.
After much reading of various forums and having it narrowed down between eibach, cooksports and grams, I've gone with the latter (grams) from KAM Racing, hoping they are a good solution for the 172 cup on fresh dampers with better handling on the road than stock springs and without shaking my fillings out. :D

Back
Top Bottom