Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
I ordered 2 bottles I think.

I'll fit my brakes in the next few weeks but tbh, you won't go wrong with Ferodo DS2500 as an upgraded pad.

Phil, could you tell a difference after fitting the brake stopper?

Godspeed do some nice grooved discs. I was tempted but they are quite expensive.

Soldato
Phil, could you tell a difference after fitting the brake stopper?

Yep. Under normal driving conditions the different is negligible because that's not what it's designed for. When you hit the brake pedal hard however you get an instant 'bite' with a solid pedal that is quite a bit different to not having it fitted.

Money well spent considering how much it cost!

Soldato
Sounds good! I like to stage my mods so that I can feel the benefit of each one. Still running rubber brakes lines so would need to replace them.

I'll want a front strut brace to mount the stopper to but most of the ones I've seen are multi-piece alloy. I had single piece solid OMP braces on my Rover and they were really good. Wouldn't feel quite the same about using a brace made up of a couple of pieces of ally bolted together, they'd flex more than the car lol.

I really really need to learn to weld.

Soldato
You don't need a strut brace to mount the stopper to if you get a Tegiwa one. Cusco do a strut brace with a brake stopper built in if you really want the brace though.

The Tegiwa one mounts to the strut housing.

My old man has recently set up powder coating. I'm having my wheels refurbished from the current dull gold to shadow chrome :D

Soldato
Ahhh ok. I remember you mentioning the Cusco brace but I think that's ally too.

I don't think I've seen any solid braces for the Impreza.

I'll have a look into the Tegiwa stopper.

Shadow chrome will look good on a black car too! Just make sure he masks off the mating face before coating. Many companies don't and it's the little details that make the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah he does that anyway - prevents wheel wobble. Who knew you could get high temp masking tape :D

I want to re-do some bits in the engine bay (rad brackets, battery strap, tegiwa stopper etc) but I can't decide whether to go black or STi pink :confused: - wouldn't mind a bit of colour but don't want to make it look pap.

Soldato
Unless you're going to do large parts of the bay pink, I'd stick with black. Looks a bit odd with just the odd bit in pink. I might coat the brake stopper but not the battery clamp.

Just imo of course :)

Soldato
I know what you mean - I'm on the fence as I don't want to 'cheapen' it.

I was more worried about it clashing with the red inlet manifold. My list was:

- Bonnet stay
- Rad Brackets
- Battery clamp
- Black brackets on the front of both struts
- Tegiwa stopper
- Top of the radiator tank reservoir

Soldato
I'd go black. A clean and well presented bay with pink Samco hoses (if you really wanted to express your manliness ;)) would look much smarter than a bay with random brackets and mounts painted pink IMO.

Soldato
Get rid of the bonnet stay btw. I fitted gas struts to mine a while ago and wouldn't be without them now.

They managed to leave @Rybo89 scratching his head for a few minutes while he figured out what was holding my bonnet up ;)

Soldato
Would never have hoses any other colour than black! I think you're right, black would probably be best.

Have looked at the gas struts, they are on my shopping list :)

Soldato
After suggesting it, I'm actually quite partial to some pink hoses now, haha.

For small brackets and mounts though, black is definitely the safe option. Coloured accessories are only a good idea if you plan to bling the entire bay.

Gas struts are defo the way forward!

Soldato
Get rid of the bonnet stay btw. I fitted gas struts to mine a while ago and wouldn't be without them now.

They managed to leave @Rybo89 scratching his head for a few minutes while he figured out what was holding my bonnet up ;)

I thought it was a magic trick :p

Anyway the best thing you can do with a engine bay is keep it nice and simple, but minted up:

6lLym4j.jpg

oeLDK9q.jpg

8FqPxsc.jpg

wwkvwyR.jpg

My mate has tatted his up with a cheapo pink strut brace, battery cover, rad mounts etc and to me it looks utter dross.

Soldato
I always assumed it was a widetrack thing. Can't remember you mentioning anything about mine or i would have questioned it. I am in a world of my own half the time though :p

Should a buy one?

Soldato
I would have one personally. Stops hot air from the bay being drawn in at the very least!

Where are you both based? We should meet up somewhere for an afternoon's driving!

Soldato
I remember pointing it out, but it may have just got muddled in with the rest of the giberish I was saying :p

Yeah, if you don't plan to go with a cone air filter in the wing I'd buy one. Keeps the car factory and helps the airbox to draw in cool air.

Back
Top Bottom