Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
Guess the trackday did take its tole on my car. Not had the chance to drive the car since the track day so decided to let the engine tick over tonight for a bit. Come back to my car to find steam coming out of the bonnet, straight away i knew it was coolant from the smell.

My radiator has blown. Pretty sure i seen it squirting out from under neath the hose when i first lifted up the bonnet but i didn't have my light on my at the time, when i did grab the light and return it wasn't squirting anymore :rolleyes:. Topped the coolant back up to try get it to do it again but it wont and its got a bit too late for me to start revving the engine :p

Sure i seen the squirt firing up from the metal grip bits underneath the hose:
owDj2DX.jpg

fjMYlSr.jpg

Are these easy enough to change? Easy enough to fill back up?

Soldato
If it is the radiator, it's a doddle to change. Remove the coolant bottle, couple of bolts holding the radiator in, remove the top and bottom hoses, unplug the fans and it will lift upwards. The AC condenser will remain in place.

It would appear that loads of people have trouble bleeding the Impreza cooling system but I drained and bled my WRX many times when I was swapping coolant and didn't have any problems. I'll do a bit of a write up when I'm next near a computer.

Soldato
I've change the coolant a couple of times and there is quite a knack to it but it's not hard. I had the best results by removing the rear most hose from the coolant reservoir bit where the cap is and using a funnel to fill the system up from there, if you're slow and careful and don't let it glug as your pour it fills the system up from the rear and seems to hardly need bleeding at all that way.

Soldato
I've change the coolant a couple of times and there is quite a knack to it but it's not hard. I had the best results by removing the rear most hose from the coolant reservoir bit where the cap is and using a funnel to fill the system up from there, if you're slow and careful and don't let it glug as your pour it fills the system up from the rear and seems to hardly need bleeding at all that way.

Yep, I do this and have had no problems.

Soldato
Another one of those queries to "expand my knowledge"

Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Turbo, What are these like as a daily? Reliable? is the 2.5 the same potential grenade (from internet "reviews") you find in the Hawkeye? maintenance costs? etc

They seem quite appealing, Practical whilst being surprisingly quick for a big car (around 6s to 62mph)

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Take it you mean a 2004-2007 model SG model?

Had a XT 2.5 ran it up to 100K with no issues, even mildly tweaked to around 260bhp

2.5 motors really only start to get into trouble above 350bhp and need forged bits to approach 400bhp

Got a Forester STi now, similar engine no problems in 2 years but running 330bhp

Back
Top Bottom