Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
@Rybo89, that's pretty typical when leaving it sat around. I tend to give mine a charge every 3-4 weeks if I'm not using it otherwise it would have been flat by now. Could do with getting a CTEK tbh and leaving it connected all the time.

I took mine out on Thursday, like you haven't used it since Curborough. The first drive doesn't normally surprise me if I've not used it for a bit but with the colder temperatures it was absolutely flying... not to mention the noise it makes now, it's so bloody loud :D

Last edited:
Soldato
@Rybo89, that's pretty typical when leaving it sat around. I tend to give mine a charge every 3-4 weeks if I'm not using it otherwise it would have been flat by now. Could do with getting a CTEK tbh and leaving it connected all the time.

I took mine out on Thursday, like you haven't used it since Curborough. The first drive doesn't normally surprise me if I've not used it for a bit but with the colder temperatuers it was absolutely flying... not to mention the nosie it makes now, it's so bloody loud :D

Need a countryside blast! Go make some noise :cool:

Soldato
Spent quite a lot of time/money on getting the ZT tip top this year as it's my daily, but took advantage of a recent coupon code on eBay and treated the Scoob to a couple of bits. I'd planned to buy them after Christmas but the coupon code swayed my decision!

ctekmxs5box.jpg

Been hankering after a Ctek for a good while, and it makes even more sense now that the Scoob gets locked in a garage when not in use. Seems a very decent bit of kit and should do the job nicely, the quick release connector and eyelet terminals are a nice touch.

Also been wanting to buy one of these for a while. As I've mentioned previously, the car has had a whistle on boost pretty much since I bought it. I've replaced every gasket and vaccum hose I can think of, so hopefully this will do the trick. If not, at least it looks nice!

inlethose.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, really Kosta? I know the standard pipe has ridged sections but wasn't expecting it to make a noticable performance difference.

Ok, well in that case I guess I'll fit the Apexi PowerIntake filter that I saved from my old Rover at the same time :D

I'm guessing as JGM mapped my car on ECUtek and is no longer with us, I'll be looking at a brand new map? Tbh, I've never been entirely happy with this map. I've always felt as though peak boost was too high.

Man of Honour
Oh, really Kosta? I know the standard pipe has ridged sections but wasn't expecting it to make a noticable performance difference.

Ok, well in that case I guess I'll fit the Apexi PowerIntake filter that I saved from my old Rover at the same time :D

I'm guessing as JGM mapped my car on ECUtek and is no longer with us, I'll be looking at a brand new map? Tbh, I've never been entirely happy with this map. I've always felt as though peak boost was too high.

Subaru's are really sensitive to intake change affecting the MAF scaling. You won't need a map from a scratch either

Soldato
Having a clear out and found an old oil catch tank from my Rover days. I understand the benefits of fitting a tank but before I stick it on eBay for a bit of beer money, would it be beneficial to use on the Scoob or is the stock breather system sufficient?

Also, thanks for the above comments guys. I was aware of the need to tune for a larger air filter but didn't realise this also applied to other intake mods. Note taken :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Kosta, this is only a cheap 2 port. I'll have to do some reading, what's the 3rd port for? Sump return?

Btw, massive congrats on the job. What an achievement! :)

Soldato
looking at swapping the s2000 for a subaru as its getting a bit long in the tooth as a daily not even had it long but it was a fun summer.

looking at 2 options.
spend abit more and get a 2014-2016 impreza wrx sti, do these suffer with realiabilty issues? bad choice for a daily drive?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...-to=22500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

or go cheaper and get a 2.0 WRX as ive heard these are more reliable that the 2.5 counter part

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...stcode=de655bh&sort=distance&radius=50&page=1

Soldato
looking at swapping the s2000 for a subaru as its getting a bit long in the tooth as a daily not even had it long but it was a fun summer.

looking at 2 options.
spend abit more and get a 2014-2016 impreza wrx sti, do these suffer with realiabilty issues? bad choice for a daily drive?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809120417206?fuel-type=Petrol&zero-to-60=TO_8&postcode=de655bh&radius=50&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=SUBARU&sort=distance&price-to=22500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

or go cheaper and get a 2.0 WRX as ive heard these are more reliable that the 2.5 counter part

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812243468062?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&advertising-location=at_cars&zero-to-60=TO_8&make=SUBARU&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=22500&postcode=de655bh&sort=distance&radius=50&page=1
The 2014-2016 models seem to hold up better than hawk eye and hatches. They also will have much less rust for now that the 2005 car. They are also more refined and feel heavier and bigger.

The 2005 is really a proper sti, 2.0l are much stronger, but with it being this age they still might have issues, but of course that all depends on how its been maintained and driven. It is less refined, but they are lighter. They also have the classic gold wheels and frame less windows which is clearly the best feature ever :p

Associate
Hi.

Me personally I would take the blobeye.
Looks quite good tbh.
78k as long as the history checks out and the paperwork for the cam belt is present may aswell pay a visit.

Soldato
The WRX STi is a really really nice car. Subaru have done a cracking job with it IMO. However it does still have the 2.5 so advisable to have some money set aside for a rebuild.

Out of the new age 2.0 Scoobies, a widetracks STi is really the one to go for. You get the better Hawkeye interior, DCCD gearbox and strong 2.0 engine.

Mine has done 96k (bought on 69) and has been very good reliability wise. My 02 WRX was also a cracking car. I know of another widetrack STi on over 160,000 miles :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't they fix the engine issues ages ago?

The FA20 in my gt86 has been pretty solid, except for a small oil leak from the cam plate.

Man of Honour
The chassis is a big step forward on the VA models (2014+) even from a passenger perspective, but the longer gear ratios and low (relatively) revving nature of the 2.5 make it feel lazy.

The 2 Litre in the 01-05 STIs is much keener to rev and more rewarding to drive on the limiter

Didn't they fix the engine issues ages ago?

The FA20 in my gt86 has been pretty solid, except for a small oil leak from the cam plate.
So completely unrelated because it's an FA20 and not an EJ25.

Man of Honour
The 2 Litre in the 01-05 STIs is much keener to rev

The 2.5 litre was never intended for high revving. It was aimed at the US market where they are used to big volume engines that get best performance low down the rev range, and are changing up by 5000rpm. Subaru then rather foolishly put the same engine in the UK market, where drivers are used to revving the nuts off their engines; and not particularly surprisingly it turned out that the heavier pistons put a bigger strain on the con rods, which then broke. A bad map that leaned out the engine at high on two out of three settings certainly didn't help. The engine is not inherently bad, it just needs to be understood how it supposed to used. The STi 2 litre engine can take people boucing off the limiter, but the later 2.5 can't. So don't bounce off the limiter.

Back
Top Bottom