Who here owns a Subaru?

Man of Honour
The 2.5 litre was never intended for high revving. It was aimed at the US market where they are used to big volume engines that get best performance low down the rev range, and are changing up by 5000rpm. Subaru then rather foolishly put the same engine in the UK market, where drivers are used to revving the nuts off their engines; and not particularly surprisingly it turned out that the heavier pistons put a bigger strain on the con rods, which then broke. A bad map that leaned out the engine at high on two out of three settings certainly didn't help. The engine is not inherently bad, it just needs to be understood how it supposed to used. The STi 2 litre engine can take people boucing off the limiter, but the later 2.5 can't. So don't bounce off the limiter.

I know :) as he's not familiar with Subarus and coming from an S2000 I thought I'd highlight the difference as the EJ25 is likely to be disappointing after having 9000RPM to play with

Soldato
Car is abouts to look a bit different:

zopEgHq.jpg

I know, i know... White on black. But bugger it, why not... It's a scoob.

I couldn't turn the offer down. i managed to get these brand new for just £490 delivered (18" 8.5J ET35) from DemonTweeks, the last set they had. Wrapped them in Goodyear Eagle F1 A3's. Total cost of the alloys and tyres+fitting has come up less than the alloys cost alone anywhere else. Plus Andrew said to do this so if it does look bad i got someone to blame.

Also did a bit of maintenance the over the weekend:

8ZXTDcZ.jpg

Bit restricted given i only had about 500mm at most to get under there and scrape off what i could before applying the undercoat/waxoyl. I have got a customer who has offered me access to his garage and lift when ever i want, so come summer i think i might give it a proper good going over. Get the grinder and wire wheel out on it.

Next step is the full Whiteline kit (ARB's/bushes). The RARB and mounts looked shagged, so this will be done first.

Edit: Rewrote it as i couldn't even read what i had typed.

Last edited:
Soldato
:D

JurTXeC.jpg

Even sent a free set of decent wheels nuts. Not bad considering I almost paid £40 for some last night.

Proper chuffed with demon-tweeks, I still cannot fathom how they have made any profit out of this sale lol.

Caporegime
The 2.5 litre was never intended for high revving. It was aimed at the US market where they are used to big volume engines that get best performance low down the rev range, and are changing up by 5000rpm. Subaru then rather foolishly put the same engine in the UK market, where drivers are used to revving the nuts off their engines; and not particularly surprisingly it turned out that the heavier pistons put a bigger strain on the con rods, which then broke. A bad map that leaned out the engine at high on two out of three settings certainly didn't help. The engine is not inherently bad, it just needs to be understood how it supposed to used. The STi 2 litre engine can take people boucing off the limiter, but the later 2.5 can't. So don't bounce off the limiter.

what many miss is where the power band is of the car. which is quite low revs. no good reving extra for no gain.:p

the above car would look better with no bonnet scoop tbh. nice looking car .

Caporegime

I am pretty sure it is all down to emissions why the 2.5 was sold here.

Soldato
Guys wanting a bit of advise, i've got my sketchy old 1996 WRX import. Had it a few years and done a few things to it but never gelled with it at all after my 2005 STi.

It's currently sat in my garage SORN with no MOT, a guy knocked on my door who i've spoken too in the past and has offered to buy it and i'm wondering if i should take it or not.

He's offered £1000 cash, i paid a little more than that probably 3 or 4 years ago but i've hardly used it. I have spent a bit on it though, i've put on brand new 4 pot calipers, discs and RC5+ pads, new fuel pump, new exhaust, braided lines and new tyres. It's also got from the previous owner BC coilovers & whiteline 22mm RARB

If i was to sell it myself it'd need the clutch doing, timing belt, there's a knock from the back somewhere and it needs a rear wheel bearing. The paint is also very matte so it'd need at the very least a good machine polish and some of the plastic trim respraying

What do you guys think it's worth A) in it's current condition or B) if i sorted it out and sold it on as a decent example.

Sorry for the rambling :(, this is as it currently stands:
llWQHIs4KvJfvQTcvXDp3Jkix8hE18B08RgZATzSFO43nZ_ykzmhSPlHGIKR-nYUCufNNpBCsxG09lzsUHnEYrqDl3JnaqNksjp-zlhkREGH4ADaJA3f7MAi-BdUFs7CT1RskBj-j38lD8VhsE_cEq0TtOIxXd3_Bp8WIEh-dBkrqzvN6IND7882Zf1JlR9N3OsI_DD2Vsh54b7fcW0e-dSg-c64yPtHCstIEf3tGYwNoBDdSwe_k5wRbgBs6YIr6atTNUNPStxCzRyB8z8OGQt4SXc0ibTA2aoG25b5rg4ZO0Z1RIB5LsvpcTDEx85wliy-zrboJmdS7f5VuFjd-SoKGK3nDLeAcdOzaQRMtAk-yghr6oEK41uyfda9zYL8UAC4RDOpcH47skHZCuyTCTwmGmLigTAok3BtECYLa8N8El-i15cmsHQU6Wrhf0o-EhYf5PQ_T1U10Rs05G_trajSDQZ924imDt3dMJKOQDrUSkrDS4cQn7ABwJX3tLV19BehhUwuXfQC6fskoWc3CusSZV2pF8iW21XeE9bXMkHzYYXJB9Kc-ku3Z71XXHGSzKa143PL_tSkvkMBXbD6X18X9yB0G46vIyc-A9Z_lMGCdT1xh-7CQ6dpUFTPxHOBiytK-xQvdO8Ki1Vu9ipfolTwSfoPjRNN3zfTugcojJcM4yVZ3cy8yaQYTuxFC-Q1Iz3ZWxqf65nYokKyFqnG2EbN2g=w1384-h1038-no

Soldato
No MOT doesn't make it worth much. Add to that it needing a clutch and timing belt, I'd take the grand.

I only got £2700 for a very clean bugeye WRX with 10 months MOT, recent clutch and timing belt back in 2015.

Is that the new garage btw? Looks amazing!

Last edited:
Soldato
Car looks good :)

Looks really good

Thanks guys, they have really grown on me now.

Anyone here ever ran BC BR Coilovers? Looking to get this done next i think, adding the 18" wheels and lower profile tyres has made the car look a bit higher. Have looked elsewherte at reviews and they seem a bit mixed, seems people who have them love them and people who have never had them wouldn't touch them???

Also has anyone tried Godspeed disks here? Seem a very good price compared anything else.

Man of Honour

Anyone here ever ran BC BR Coilovers? Looking to get this done next i think, adding the 18" wheels and lower profile tyres has made the car look a bit higher. Have looked elsewherte at reviews and they seem a bit mixed, seems people who have them love them and people who have never had them wouldn't touch them???

Also has anyone tried Godspeed disks here? Seem a very good price compared anything else.

Think @ScoobyDoo69 had BCs on his old Blobeye? That seemed to handle and ride well from the passenger seat at least

Soldato

I had godspeed brakes on my wr1. Cant say i got to test them much though :p

Back
Top Bottom