Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
My 2017 7.5 GTD had the gearbox service at 40k. Gearbox still failed at 65k :(
My MK7 DSG failed at 60k and serviced at 40k as per the wet clutch schedule. The new box has been faultless (touch wood) but I am on my third Water Pump/Thermostat housing. Not sure if the latest TSI engines are still having the same issue.

Soldato
DSG sounds like a bit of a nightmare. My cousin is also having problems with his.

I’ve always avoided it due to the horror stories you read, but what you don’t get is people posting about how it’s working correctly and that it has been faultless.

My partner had a DSG Polo which needed a new mechatronic unit but fortunately it was less than 3 years old and covered under warranty.

I don’t want to speak about my current car and it’s DSG - I don’t want to jinx anything :p

Associate
My Mk7 R DSG is still going strong into its 7th year from new, it has only had 1 x thermostat and water pump replaced to its name, but apart from the odd creaks and niggles, its been pretty much ok. Serviced on time etc etc. I do have extended warranty just in case anything goes wrong with it. I haven't messed around with remapping with the ECU or TCU mind.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I'm on 63k and (touch wood) it's been perfect, was serviced before I got it and I plan to do the DSG and diff oil early next year anyway in prep for a few track days we have lined up.

Soldato
Just bought myself a Mk5 Golf GTI (DSG, 3 door, Tornado Red, heated leather interior).

Need something to keep the 911 off the road in winter. Managed to find a car with inches of service history. A single owner car with no service intervals missed on anything, receipts and stamps for everything. It does have, quite a few miles. 173,000 of them to be precise. However its in fantastic condition so I'm not worried at all.

Initial impressions are its a surprisingly good drive.

Considering its just a winter hack, I'm now already resisting the urge to get a remap on it :rolleyes:

Just to give an update to this, some pictures of the car:

Lifted from the advert ....

These are actually surprisingly fair. It really does look like this. There's a funny lacquer blemish on a small section of the bonnet, some peeling lacquer on some of the side plastic colour coded door trims, and ditto on the wing mirrors... interior wise the light switch is a bit funky but I've ordered a replacement already.

And then an obligatory "I've got a 'hot hatch' so here it is in a super market carpark

Associate
Little question about DSG characteristics. 18 Plate GTI Performance so the 7 Speed box and not yet hit the 80k service interval, however I find the 2nd to 3rd shift to be very noticeable when cruising about town at slower speeds compared to the others which are basically unnoticeable. Wondering if this is normal?

Also I notice when pulling away at certain times the power can come back on with a bit of a thud in 1st gear. Mostly when coasting up to a roundabout and then setting off again. Anyone else have this?

I'm tempted to have the box serviced early anyway but just wondering if these are just normal quirks anyway or I should be more concerned

Associate
Heater wasn't blowing hot air so did a VCDS scan and found the Heater Support Pump had failed. Didn't realise it was not running when I shut off the engine as you can hear it. Had it replaced and the heat was luke warm at best, one heater Matrix later and it gets hot inside the car as it should.

The matrix was full of sludge probably due to having to use leak preventers due to water pump failures.

Soldato
Heater wasn't blowing hot air so did a VCDS scan and found the Heater Support Pump had failed. Didn't realise it was not running when I shut off the engine as you can hear it. Had it replaced and the heat was luke warm at best, one heater Matrix later and it gets hot inside the car as it should.

The matrix was full of sludge probably due to having to use leak preventers due to water pump failures.
You sure it wasn't the silica bag in the heater tank breaking up? When we fit a new heater matrix in VAG cars, TPS will only honour Warranty on them if we use their flushing solution and fit a new header tank!

Associate
You sure it wasn't the silica bag in the heater tank breaking up? When we fit a new heater matrix in VAG cars, TPS will only honour Warranty on them if we use their flushing solution and fit a new header tank!
That was removed 9 years ago, one of the first things I did when I got the car new. It has done over 120k miles now so not too gutted.

Soldato
Little question about DSG characteristics. 18 Plate GTI Performance so the 7 Speed box and not yet hit the 80k service interval, however I find the 2nd to 3rd shift to be very noticeable when cruising about town at slower speeds compared to the others which are basically unnoticeable. Wondering if this is normal?

Also I notice when pulling away at certain times the power can come back on with a bit of a thud in 1st gear. Mostly when coasting up to a roundabout and then setting off again. Anyone else have this?

I'm tempted to have the box serviced early anyway but just wondering if these are just normal quirks anyway or I should be more concerned

DSGs can be a little jerky at times. Try driving it in sport mode and see if it still does it.

If not, it could be poor calibration. If it does, it may highlight a bigger issues.

Either way, maybe consider the warranty package VW offer.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Lots happened recently...

Took a visit to Revo today, ECU and TCU stage 1 done.

FPBsKkQ.jpg

Went with a mate in his 7.5 TCR, which is now a proper weapon!

I've only really driven it back from Daventry, but first impressions are great! The engine has woken up and the gearbox is quicker and more aggressive without being harsh. Needs a proper drive to put it through its paces, and ideally another track day next year when the weather improves as I've not really played about yet as I was/am still bedding in the new brakes.

It was also badly in need of new discs all round and the front pads were nearing EOL, so went with a VBT hooked discs and Racingline pads combo from Awesome GTI that I had my eye on and was reduced by £110 in the Black Friday sales so I picked them up and figured I might as well get it lowered (spacers are coming) at the same time so also picked up an Eibach Pro spring kit. :D

In the new year it'll have an oil change along with diff and gearbox fluid changes and braided lines and new brake fluid. Then I'll be done for a while. Depending on how it handles I might do the anti roll bars in the summer.

Pictures:

uPo0elB.jpg

WpLpGkP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom