Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
Wow that 38k car would have been really nice example. Terrible thing to trade a car like that in. :(

I have replaced the mondeo with 1998 mazda 323 2.0l v6 zxi. It's done 132k and it's self oil changing atm but the Rocker covers are £9.49 each so tis all good. It's been under sealed in the past couple of years and has got full service history from new to 91k then it's a bit patchy after that. It's a bit smaller than the mondeo and I haven't been on any long drives yet but it seems good so far. Nice and smooth being a petrol v6 vs my diesel mondeo. Revs to 7500rpm as well and has 0 torque down low so it's a nice change. The throttle response is instant too. Can't wait to get it on the rolling road to see how many of its 150horses are left!! :D

Also its a mazda that isn't an mx5 so hipster af.

Associate
Changed both my xenon bulbs (as per my last post here but seems to be missing now?) as the offside occasionally wouldn't turn on unless the engine was warmed up. Probably well past its due date, but happy now as the as the light output is so much better. Forgot to add, I got the bulbs from Powerbulbs.com who are great.

Anyways, car went for its MOT today and passed with no advisories.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got my hands on one, little bit of rust at the bottom of 2 of the doors and a small bit on one arch but I can do bodywork so that is no real issue, the rest of the paintwork appears mega tidy although the lower part of the front bumper is stone chip central so that needs doing too.

Absolutely love driving it however as I don't change jobs until the end of March I don't want to have to commute in it so it's getting put on SORN soon and it'll have to collect dust :(

Wolverhampton to Worksop I managed to arrive on my driveway with it reading 41MPG on the trip computer, so seems pretty reasonable on a run. Managed 34MPG from Worksop to Rotherham too although I did take it out for one last blast before I SORN it tonight and finished the journey on 18MPG, I need a fruity exhaust!

Back to driving a TDCi 115 for a month and a half now :(

Soldato
Life's too short for tucking away Ford Mondeos for fear of using them!

I'm not tucking it away, I just can't afford to do 60 miles a day in it sat in standing traffic and insure both cars as I only have 1 set of NCD, at the end of next month I am stripping the TDCi down and transferring the Xenons & Denso Nav unit & voice control across to the ST along with converting the ST seats to have the cooling function that my Diseasel has.

Soldato
Nice looks same as mine that. Is that a 53 plate with the 6 speed gearbox? How many miles and how much did u get it for? I paid 2.7k for mine last month with 74k on. Make sure u check the breather pipes for splits as they seem to crack on all of them. I'm getting mine replaced with a new set of spark plugs tommorow

Soldato
Nice looks same as mine that. Is that a 53 plate with the 6 speed gearbox? How many miles and how much did u get it for? I paid 2.7k for mine last month with 74k on. Make sure u check the breather pipes for splits as they seem to crack on all of them. I'm getting mine replaced with a new set of spark plugs tommorow

Yeah it's a 6 speed but it has 129k on it so it's a bit leggy, interior is mint though. I bought it quite cheap as it needs new ARB bushes and a drop link along with the small corroded bits that I will be doing myself, worked out at just over £1900 with a surcharge on top as I paid by Credit Card for a bit of extra protection.

Soldato
Change the gearbox oil, you might be surprised at the difference it makes.

Really? The Gearbox feels lovely to use, it is having a full service before going on the road properly so I can add that in I guess.

Do these things apply the brakes when cruising down hills?

My diesel always runs away on hills so I have to brake which disengages cruise but this seems to hold it's speed, the diesel also seems to drop speed when I hit an uphill and then accelerate to about 5mph above what it is set to when I go over the brow before dropping back.

Associate
so, got my car back today.

brand new genuine ford clutch, bearing and flywheel as well as MOT.
there was loads of play in the flywheel so it was due to go so glad that's done anyways and got lifetime warranty on new gear.

car pulls so much harder now, (not that I've done any hard pulls) and feels great.

next stop is to service it, tidy up the centre caps (I bought some scruffy ones off ebay for a tenner after someone pinched mine).

Last edited:
Soldato
Need some help with a mondeo! My housemates has died but we need to move it from where it's parked so it needs putting in neutral. However, the battery appears to charge but the car is completely dead electrically. The car uses the key fob thing to start it via a button and we've so far not figured out how to get it to go into neutral. Anyone have any advice on this?

Back
Top Bottom