Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Soldato
OP
If it's sticking ever so slightly and applying light pressure on the pads then it's possible. Pull the handbrake (not too hard!) whilst it does it and see if it changes.

The Pagid refurb/exchange calipers from ECP were about £65 each when I did mine.

Soldato
OP
ECP suck. I would say at least 50% of the stuff I've bought from them over the years has either been a poor fit or just plain wrong. I just tend to buy genuine stuff for the most part nowadays. The potential extra cost isn't really a bother, it's not like I'm buying parts often.

Soldato
OP
One of my front bumper washer spray covers disappeared a while ago. I decided to look up the cost of replacing one along with the roof rack blanks (one of those disappeared too...).

I couldn't tell you how many of these I bought for mine over the years. I bought a can of Ford Machine Silver aerosol and used most of it up just painting new washer covers!

My 220 is starting to sound a bit off. Engine noise tap-tap-tap in the background (it's not a diesel!) instead of smooth "vrrrrm". Know what I mean? Is it just getting old (>120k miles), or is there something that can be improved?

I do hope this isn't the dreaded big end bearing failure. Have you been doing oil changes on time and keeping an eye on the level?

Soldato
OP
guys, just bought myself a mk4 mondeo tit x 2.3 auto.

it has the blaupunkt nx radio.

im having problems trying to play any kind of music from my phone.

1st im trying to stream with bluetooth from my galaxy s7 but im pretty sure i dont have that function. i do have aux in and usb with bluetooth handsfree.

i tried usb with it but no joy. i then tried an iphone 6 via usb. i get music content displayed on the radio and converse but no sound.

RtbtYDV.jpg

ive tried google but most just have issues with the bluetooth streaming.

any thoughts before i resort to aux

You need a Bluetooth/USB module from 2010 onwards to support Bluetooth streaming. You also need to plug the aux cable in as well as USB to iPhone / iPod in order to get sound. This was fixed in the latest Bluetooth/USB module software update (google it).

Soldato
OP
No reason you can't achieve 35-37mpg on a run at 70mph unless there's heavy traffic and/or you're not very good at keeping a constant speed and looking ahead.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't have thought so, there's nothing special about them. But you never know with Ford prices.

There's a second hand coil pack and lead set on eBay for £85 at the moment.

Soldato
OP
They are a straight swap, but I believe the "final facelift" (hardly a facelift since that's about all that changed but still) lights don't have reflectors in them, hence the extra ones on the bumpers. Worth bearing in mind if you want it to be strictly road legal / more visible if you park on unlit roads.

Soldato
OP
So, considering getting one of these (ST220). Will likely be bottom of the market though as it's just to ditch at airports / pubs. So doesn't matter if its high(-ish) miles (don't mind up to around 140-150k), or cosmetically not so great. But mechanically, what should I be looking for when looking at these?

I'm kind of between one of these and a Focus ST170. They both (just about) can come in on budget. I have a feeling the Focus might be a bot more "fun" on the back roads, and if I ever wanted to take a car on track (I might), and a bit cheaper, but the Mondeo would obviously be the better cruiser, which is likely the main use for the car anyway.

Fuel economy doesn't bother me too much, as most of the miles done in this motor will be on expenses anyway. But having never looked at them before, and there being 36 man-size pages in this thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Heading all the way down to Bristol tomorrow for a few days, so if I can see something there, or on the way back (all the way to NE Scotland), then it would be nice to have an idea of what to look for with these specifically.

The Focus ST170 is massively underrated IMHO. A lot of people hate them but I think they're brilliant. I've driven one quite a bit and the chassis is just sublime. It can be hustled along the back roads beautifully. It's so impeccably well-balanced. It's much sharper than the ST220, but then that's not to discredit the Mondeo's handling abilities which really do belie its size and weight.

They're both wonderful cars to drive. Ford got them so right. The Focus is the better choice if you want to prioritise B-road blasting and track use, the Mondeo better for cruising and having more outright power.

In terms of what to look for, it'd be good to check that the Mondeo has been serviced regularly, since the engines do like fresh oil and they can use a bit as they get older. Worn rear subframe bushes are common. They rust a bit, particularly the prefacelifts (up to 53-plate). The brakes will feel crap at first but it will stop if you use them properly. They're just not horribly over-assisted like the average modern car.

The ST170 has variable inlet manifold runners which is a common fault point.

Soldato
OP
You won't get an ST220 for £1k, even the ropiest of high-milers start at about £1500-1800. The Focus is more unloved, so you'll probably pick one up in your budget. How much of a total shed it will be shall remain to be seen, however.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704074165052 this one looks okay from the outset, although the MOT history makes for grim reading.

Spend a few more quid and you can get a tidier one with xenons and climate control - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703303874360

Back
Top Bottom