Who owns a Mondeo ST220 / ST TDCI?

Permabanned
How comfortable are ST220s vs say a Focus zetec mk1?

A lot more refined and better built. faster, better looking, etc etc
Do bear in mind though that you are comparing an almost base spec mk1 focus to a top of the range mk3 mondeo, 2 completely different cars. Not really a comparrison to be fair. I think most would realise it is fairly obvious that an ST is a step up in the world.

Associate

A lot more refined and better built. faster, better looking, etc etc
Do bear in mind though that you are comparing an almost base spec mk1 focus to a top of the range mk3 mondeo, 2 completely different cars. Not really a comparrison to be fair. I think most would realise it is fairly obvious that an ST is a step up in the world.

Ah yeah I know that it's quicker of course. I've just heard that some performance cars have quite hard suspension compared to "normal" cars, which is more what I was wondering. Glad to hear they're comfortable though, because I'm thinking/hoping to buy one next year. Thanks :)

Soldato
OP
What he said.

The ride is spot on, and the seats are wonderfully comfortable. I never get out after any journey feeling stressed or tired unless I was before I started :p

Permabanned
All I will say is expect an average of 22 - 24mpg (less if you do mainly town mileage)

I bought mine under the impression that 26 - 28mpg was easily achievable (more if doing mainly motorway miles)
I can only get that sort of MPG if I drive it as if I was afraid of the go pedal :)

Associate
Get one, you won't regret it :)

Best all round car i have ever had.

What he said.

The ride is spot on, and the seats are wonderfully comfortable. I never get out after any journey feeling stressed or tired unless I was before I started :p

Sounds excellent! I think one of the comfort features I'm most looking forward to on my next car is cruise control :D

All I will say is expect an average of 22 - 24mpg (less if you do mainly town mileage)

I bought mine under the impression that 26 - 28mpg was easily achievable (more if doing mainly motorway miles)
I can only get that sort of MPG if I drive it as if I was afraid of the go pedal :)

The MPG doesn't worry me to much because I only do around 8k miles/year tops. I see tyres are about £120-130/corner fitted. How is it on other costs? Do these cars need much other than routine servicing?

Soldato
If you're talking about the 220, then there's not a lot else.

Clutch/DMF is a potential from around the 100k mark. Bank on around a £1k bill for parts and labour.

Auto belt tensioner & crank pulley is common too (see some earlier posts by me). Expect £300 there. You can hear that coming a mile off though.

Rear sub frame bushes are another one, but with the age of ST220's now, I'd expect any one you pick up will have had them done.

I think that's it for major bills really, a few things that can throw up lesser bills (rear wheel bearing at £120 fitted), but nothing common and expensive that are necessarily a given.

Soldato
OP

This is incorrect IMO. Yes if you do a lot of town driving you'll average 20-22mpg but if your driving is more of a "combined" cycle, you should average 25-27 depending on how much stop-start traffic there is. 35MPG is easily achievable on the motorway at 70mph.

Soldato
If you see your self as a Lewis Hamilton, the MPG is going to be awful.

If you see your self as a Howard, the MPG is going to be better than whats on paper.

Mine MPG is awful and on 17MPG over last 1k miles :D

Soldato
OP
Give me a set of deserted country roads and my MPG will dip into minus figures. Give me my regular daily work commute and I'll bimble along efficiently and comfortably with all the other traffic. Surely I can't be alone in this logic :p

In other news, Tuesday dispatch for 'zorst most likely :(

Back
Top Bottom