Who said finding a job in I.T is hard work

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
£13.5k because iv just come straight out of uni, a pay review after 6 months which bumps me upto £14.5k,

That's what I started on, it does seem a little low as I started back in 1996 but I'm not sure what the going rate is, anway it's a start and a foot in the door.

HEADRAT

PS As for some of the posters in this thread give the guy a little encouragement ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Word of mouth.

Sorry, well done chap - always nice to take a rise in earnings and get a new challenge, afterall, there is always someone making more cash. What is important is that it's the right thing for you and you're happy :D

Associate
Cueball said:
It doesn't matter what you start on, no one will leave uni/college and walk into a 30k+ a year job - most people who study IT have that misconception and think they'll be made as soon as they get the qualifications. :/

Keep your feet grounded, get the experience, then aim high. That's the name of the game.

I wish my younger brother would get that into his head. He is doing his degree, was going to graduate this year, but as he thinks (rightly) that there are loads of people leaving this year with Computer Science Bsc, he is doing an additional year to get his Msc. He is sure that when he finish's he can walk into a job with "atleast £30K" and work in AI.

I work support, and he thinks he stupid as "anyone can plug a lead in", my reply is "why develope in the UK when for half the money companies can develope in eastern europe".

Hitman
Permabanned
paradigm said:
Again, true. But there is a difference between getting on the ladder, and being the person just holding it for someone else ;)

The OP (especially with the thread title) was giving the impression that finding "a" job in IT was easy, it really isn't. He has got himself a job after coming out of university, and for that he does deserve congratulations, however it is a poorly paid job (especially for a grad). I just don't want him convincing himself that it will always be that easy to move on. It wont.

It is a very low salary for a graduate. I know students who would earn more than that in typically student jobs if they worked full time hours.
It is some experience though, and it's a job to keep him going until he can find something better.

Associate
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
£13.5k because iv just come straight out of uni, a pay review after 6 months which bumps me upto £14.5k,

first off, congrats on nailing the job,

but then, my god am i shocked at that sallary. i finished uni in 2000 and walked into a job in IT starting on £18,000. and the first pay rise at 6 months was another £3,500.

i knew things had been a little rough in the industry of late, but for that money i'm suprised they can require a degree at all.

Soldato
MrWhippy said:
first off, congrats on nailing the job,

but then, my god am i shocked at that sallary. i finished uni in 2000 and walked into a job in IT starting on £18,000. and the first pay rise at 6 months was another £3,500.

i knew things had been a little rough in the industry of late, but for that money i'm suprised they can require a degree at all.

He has a HND ;)

Associate
whoops, saw the uni but missed the HND. maybe the money is not as poor as i first thought.

i got a BEng in Computer Systems Engineering at UMIST (now merged with Manchester).
My first job was a software engineer role with a consultancy. the work was mostly software engineering in the mobile telecoms sector, working for a range of clients often on-site at their premises throughout the UK (and sometimes worldwide).

did it for 4 years but in the end i got a bit fed up with all the travelling. a great job for the young and single and unhappily married, but as i don't fall into any of those categories the long working away spells weren't ever gonna be forever. i guess that's consultancy for you. it was a great way to get industry experience, and kick off a career though.

Associate
MrWhippy said:
i got a BEng in Computer Systems Engineering at UMIST (now merged with Manchester).

Snap, same uni, same degree :eek: 2000-2003 (I think)

[Sniper][Wolf] said:
In 6 months time i am looking at around £14.5k, i dont think that is bad considering my situation, sure i could have landed myself a £16k, £17k or even £18k job but how long would i have been looking for that?

Well I took any old job that was going whilst looking and it took me 8 months to find a job that paid £18k

Edit and I missed Congrats

Last edited:
Soldato
phill said:
I wouldn't get out of bed for that money - grad or not

go back to bed mate

EDIT: DAM! i thought this only had one page of posts.. i thought i was straight after this lazy guy...

nevermind.. its late in the thread but its still what i wanted to say

Associate
Phantom said:
apart from my publications how would a recruiter know i existed if i didnt "advertise" myself? theyre recruiters contacting me (not the other way round). gives you that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that youre wanted so badly :p

Let me guess, was it Monster?

Everytime I alter or add a new CV to my profile, I get a load of phone calls from idiot recruitment agents. What you are talking about is not headhunting.

Soldato
what is a "good" job nowadays..

what actually pays well.. and what do you need to do to get a well paid job?

obviously qualifications are no good anymore.. and with all the experience it can hold you back not having the qualification?

what is the point...... is there anything you can study that will actually land you a decent well paid job?

or is working straight from school now the best option as university is becoming saturated..?

Soldato
I left Uni with a degree and took 14.5k first line support job as I was desperate for anything after two months looking. After 7 months thre one of the guys I worked with mentioned me to a mate who was lookig for someone to fill a vacancy i applied and bang iwas being paid over 25k. Any job is better than no job keep you nose clean work hard and learn as much as you can then look to ge out in 6-12 months if you haven't started oving up the pay scales!

Associate
Some poeple need to get a reality check. 11-14k is the going rate for graduates these days. Only a very small percentage get well paid jobs straight away 20k+. Anyway not everyone wants a big job, with lots of responsibility, stress and long working hours, some people might actually want to enjoy life and spend time doing their hobbies.

Back
Top Bottom