Whole Earth organic peanut butter

Caporegime
Even after giving it an good stir, it's pretty oily. Especially the Pip & Nut products - terrible. They're just like putting wet slop with the odd peanut onto your toast.

Keep it in the fridge once you've stirred it then it wont separate.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I always make peanut butter myself. Well technically the supermarket does. Nothing beats fresh made peanut butter. Over here you get peanutbutter in the aisle with the coffee etc. Instead of grinding coffee there is a machine that grinds up fresh roasted peanuts for you, or almonds.

With no preservative it wont last too long out of a fridge but worth it.

Where do you live? That sounds great!

Caporegime
Where do you live? That sounds great!

USA,USA,USA!:D
Other cook things about (good) US supermarkets include:
Right next to the peanut butter machine is an identical almond butter machine.
There is a coffee aisle with fresh coffee beans and a coffee grinder
There is often a honey dispense or several, so you can poor fresh local honey into a plastic container.
Sometimes something similar for olive oil, and you are encouraged to reuse the containers.
An aisle of whole bulk spices, nuts, flours, grains, beans, pulses, trail mix, sweets etc. you just bag up. No buying stupid overpriced glass jars, just buy as many grams (well ounces) as you want.
Beer, always a large selection of local and national microbrews

Soldato
For the DIY - grind it at home option -
Will grinding nuts rapidly kill food processor blades ?(never replaced them yet, but would not want to sacrifice them),
for almonds would skins still on or off=white/bleached be the better choice ?

Man of Honour
For the DIY - grind it at home option -
Will grinding nuts rapidly kill food processor blades ?(never replaced them yet, but would not want to sacrifice them),
for almonds would skins still on or off=white/bleached be the better choice ?

A decent food processor shouldn't have any issues a cheaper one might start to struggle after a while though.

Skin on, adds flavour and there's been less messing with the nuts before they get to you.

Soldato
I thought European legislation (or the moderators) were meant to protect us from this kind of adulteration of classic UK breakfasts ... or is that an American recipe like the Kings favourite

Serves one
Toast two slices of bread, then butter them. Turn butter side down and spread one naked side generously with peanut butter and the other with honey. Fry three rashers of bacon until crisp, then lie them on top of the peanut butter. Cut half a banana into slices on the diagonal, and lay on top of the bacon. Top with the honeyed slice of bread, buttered side facing outwards. Slide the sandwich into the pan in which you fried the bacon and cook gently until golden brown on both sides

Soldato
OP
I finished the Whole Earth and have bought a jar of Meridian. The Meridian is very loose with lots of small crunchy pieces of peanuts. It all looks like bottled vomit.

I did a side by side taste test. Whole Earth v Meridian.

And the winner IS......

Meridian. :) It has a nicer, perhaps milder taste than Whole Earth.

Caporegime
a vitamix can make peanut butter but other blenders struggle plenty of youtube videos out there. this way you can make your own blends too, imagine almond, cashew, peanut and pecans all mixed, etc.

as for almond butter tasting like marzipan, you do realise marzipan isn't just almonds, and almond butter should taste like almonds.

you will need a high end food processor. your £50 argos jobbie's motor will burn up trying to make peanut butter so if you don't have one rather than spending hundreds of pounds on one your better off jusy buying the stuff in bulk. costco, bodybuilding supplement stores are your best bets for that.

Soldato
Skippy's Extra Crunchy peanut butter is probably the best one i've had although I don't think it's organic and to my knowledge you can only buy it in Costco (not counting online).

Anyone that eats 'smooth' peanut butter should be executed also. :)

Soldato
PsychoSonny - yes Vitamix is a (£300) blender, a food processor (800W/kwoodchef) I was proposing may not work - 500g of nuts would be lost in the container - I'll check utube. However probably want to avoid heat during the processing (as a burr coffee grinder does)

marzipan is only adding sugar/glucose to ground almonds, to me raw (shop) ground almonds have a better taste than Biona almond butter - but I need to sample other brands I guess.

Soldato
As if by magic, my better half randomly bought a big (1Kg) tub of Meridian palm oil free peanut butter last month, quick mix of tub before spreading on bread... Can really taste the difference, love it, especially with Sainsburys plum jam! :D

Soldato
Tempted to go from Sunpat to Meridian. Do you guys buy the no-salt version? :confused:

I'm sneaking it onto the Ocado basket. I suspect the girlfriend will be furious :p

Man of Honour
Tempted to go from Sunpat to Meridian. Do you guys buy the no-salt version? :confused:

I'm sneaking it onto the Ocado basket. I suspect the girlfriend will be furious :p

The no salt version I find much nicer, but I don't really add salt to any of my food anyway.

Back
Top Bottom