Whole Earth organic peanut butter

Soldato
I'm a massive fan of Wyldsson, they're a small Irish company with some great products. The Belgian chocolate one is divine :D The pro mixes and tubes are handy to have in the work bag too

Soldato
The no salt version I find much nicer, but I don't really add salt to any of my food anyway.
Hmn see I do. We always cook from scratch so I'm not one of these people used to loads of salt in ready meals etc, yet I can taste it lacking if we forget to season etc.

I told the girlfriend I swapped out the Sunpat and she was like "You do know that's going to be horrible, right?" :p

Soldato
OP
I gave up on the healthier nut butters. Tomorrow I'm going to go buy some M&S crunchy PB. I've read a few shootouts, and M&S came top twice. But there's also one called Manilife. Has anyone tried it? It's also come tops twice. It's made with deep roasted Argentinian peanuts, contains no palm oil or sugar and is apparently a taste explosion/tastes incredible. Pretty expensive though. I suspect I'll enjoy the M&S one more though.

M&S
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-an...tter-jam-13-best-peanut-butters-tried-tested/

M&S
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/food-reviews/g689041/crunchy-peanut-butter/

Manilife
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/f...ars-we-rate-the-best-and-worst-peanut-butter/

Manilife
https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/20-o...ed-from-classic-to-out-of-this-world-6624435/

Associate
I've got some Manilife in my cupboard at the moment, it's what Crosstown use in their PBJ if you've tried one of them. Pic's is probably my current favourite.

Soldato
Dear god. Why didn't I try Whole Earth stuffs before...born and raised on Sun Pat stuff all these years :o Whole earth is seriously nice by comparison! Bit cheap at Waitrose atm £2.20 something for a jar of smooth stuffs.

Soldato
Dear god. Why didn't I try Whole Earth stuffs before...born and raised on Sun Pat stuff all these years :o Whole earth is seriously nice by comparison! Bit cheap at Waitrose atm £2.20 something for a jar of smooth stuffs.
Tesco often have them on offer at 1.50,or depending on consumption level, they do a 1kg tub for around £6-7.

Soldato
I don't understand this thread, just make your own. Tastes miles better than the bought stuff.

1. Buy bulk peanuts.
  2. Put 500g em on a tray in the oven for 15 mins at 150-ish. Take them out to cool for a couple of minutes after
  3. Chuck them in a blender with 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of honey
  4. Blend
  5. Pour into jar
Keeps fine for a couple months. Do the same with almonds (makes a naturally really sweet butter).

You can probably skip the oven part, but I like it :)

Soldato
We bought a Vitamix blender last week and made peanut butter for the first time yesterday using these without adding anything else.

It's nice and creamy and sweet enough for us. You have to keep it in the fridge though because the oils that are released from the peanuts during blending will go rancid within a week, apparently.

Associate
Tesco's did a "reduced oil" pnb that was tasty. Then Tesco ceased stocking.
Tried many others. All way too oily. Swimming in rapeseed or palm oils. Beige slime!
Now there are peanut butter powders available in Tesco and Sainsbury's.
Bootiful!

Associate
My #70 above seems to have killed the posts.
As a finale- if you love oily greasy PNB, reconstitute the powder with rapeseed oil. palm oil, corn oil, butter, olive oil, Castrol R:D

Soldato
Tesco's did a "reduced oil" pnb that was tasty. Then Tesco ceased stocking.
Tried many others. All way too oily. Swimming in rapeseed or palm oils. Beige slime!
Now there are peanut butter powders available in Tesco and Sainsbury's.
Bootiful!
Sounds like you tried natural peanut butters where the peanut oil separated and required mixing back in.

Soldato
I've got some Manilife in my cupboard at the moment, it's what Crosstown use in their PBJ if you've tried one of them. Pic's is probably my current favourite.
The Manilife dark roast PB is awesome. The first 'posh' peanut butter we've actually liked compared to Sunpat :p

I'd be tempted to make my own but in all honesty you don't save much by doing so. I'd rather spend the extra £1-2 rather than have to wash up our blender!

Associate
Sounds like you tried natural peanut butters where the peanut oil separated and required mixing back in.
XeNoN89, yes. Peanut oil not too bad. It's where there's added oil. Much of the additives are unrelated to peanuts. Turns the 'butter into slimy mush that feels like semolina or (shudder) tapioca. I've experimented with Worcestershire/ soy/ oyster/ cinnamon/ rum/ ouzo & feta flavourings but reconstituting with plain water & a touch of salt works for me. Just vary the water content to vary the viscosity.
Ref your username. I once lived at Xenon No 11 in a now divided country.

Soldato
there must be natural oxidization/degradation in the shop butters ... so, as suggested, is the way to go to try making some yourself to see how much better the taste might be , and work from there.
Powder, seems mostly sold on a low fat basis, but since it's not the original oil ( some of its flavour and nutritional benefits it contributed are gone) ... ypymytyc.

tried Meridian Smooth Almond Butter, as a result of this thread a year ago ... disappointing flavour/texture ... but I don't have that diy reference point.

Soldato
OP
Just bought some from Aldi. No palm oil at all and very tasty.

20200418-111820.jpg

Permabanned
I use to like the Whole Earth stuff but now prefer the Tesco 100% stuff myself. Will try some of that Aldi stuff though next time I go in. Their Almond Butter is also a good price too.

Meridian Cashew Nut Butter is also amazing too, buy that very occasionally.

Soldato
OP
I use to like the Whole Earth stuff but now prefer the Tesco 100% stuff myself. Will try some of that Aldi stuff though next time I go in. Their Almond Butter is also a good price too.

Meridian Cashew Nut Butter is also amazing too, buy that very occasionally.

If you get the Aldi peanut butter, they do a cheap one in a plastic container which you don't want, and this one in a glass jar with a gold lid.

Soldato
km0Y2vx.png

Roasted the last batch myself. Need to hold some back and chop em to make crunchy next time...but still way better than any shop bought options taste-wise.

Back
Top Bottom