Whos getting BOTTAS' seat next year ?

Soldato
Conversely Merc need to think about 2-3 years down the line, who 'takes over' when Hamilton retires, Bottas isn't that driver. Having Russell in the team for 2 years, gives both the best indication of whether he could (compared against 'the best') and also gets him settled in, and I really don't think Merc mind who wins as long as one of their drivers does, and they've made it clear they will use team orders when it makes sense.

I'm never sure I believe that, nobody remembers who won the WCC in any given year, but they remember the driver *and the team they drove with*...

WCC is the only one that matters. Teams get nothing for winning the WDC, it's a mere side-show.

Soldato
WCC is the only one that matters. Teams get nothing for winning the WDC, it's a mere side-show.

Directly yes, but my point is the indirect benefits based on WDC.

Based off some random article I found Merc got $66m for winning the WCC in 2019 (plus other amounts not dependent on finishing position for a total of $177m), Ferrari in 2nd got $56m, RB in 3rd got $46m, last place Williams got $15m.

Realistically if a team wins the WDC they'd have to do a shockingly bad job to get below 3rd in the WCC, even below 2nd really given the points structure. So realistically we're talking $20m, sounds a lot but in a team that pre-cap had a budget well over $300m it's not the biggest income stream by a long way.

Sponsors will pay more to be on the car and driver winning the race, they couldn't care about WCC. Merc gets more brand marketing off WDC results which the public does care about than WCC that the public ignores.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Directly yes, but my point is the indirect benefits based on WDC.

Based off some random article I found Merc got $66m for winning the WCC in 2019 (plus other amounts not dependent on finishing position for a total of $177m), Ferrari in 2nd got $56m, RB in 3rd got $46m, last place Williams got $15m.

Realistically if a team wins the WDC they'd have to do a shockingly bad job to get below 3rd in the WCC, even below 2nd really given the points structure. So realistically we're talking $20m, sounds a lot but in a team that pre-cap had a budget well over $300m it's not the biggest income stream by a long way.

Sponsors will pay more to be on the car and driver winning the race, they couldn't care about WCC. Merc gets more brand marketing off WDC results which the public does care about than WCC that the public ignores.
I think your source might be off... Ferrari actually got MORE than Mercedes did in 2019, despite coming runner up in 2018 due to their long standing team bonus.

In championship finishing order for the 2018 season:
  1. Mercedes $177M
  2. Ferrari $205M
  3. Red Bull $152
https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/formula-1-teams-prize-money-payments-for-2019-revealed/

Soldato
I think your source might be off... Ferrari actually got MORE than Mercedes did in 2019, despite coming runner up in 2018 due to their long standing team bonus.

In championship finishing order for the 2018 season:
  1. Mercedes $177M
  2. Ferrari $205M
  3. Red Bull $152
https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/03/formula-1-teams-prize-money-payments-for-2019-revealed/

That source lists the same as I was using, but as mentioned I was isolating the amount that is based on finishing position.

There's '3' components of the total amount:
1) 'Column 1' an identical amount for all 10 teams, in that list $35 million.
2) 'Column 2' is the amount dependant on the previous years WCC, this is the bit I was focussing on with $66m for Merc, $56m for Ferrari etc
3) 'LST/CCB/Other' which is the bonuses for previous championshops (over the entire 70 years, hence Williams getting some here), and of course the Ferrari Being Ferrari Bonus

Essentially 1 and 3 aren't affected by whether you win WCC and/or WDC or neither, only 2 is.

Caporegime
Merc have been trailing that the decision will be made over summer and that seems fairest to both drivers, tbh. Hopefully that means we will get an announcement at Spa.

I think Russell to Merc is a sure thing, where Bottas lands seems up in the air. Alfa is the most likely, I think, followed by Williams but maybe an outside chance of a move to Red Bull? It's a shame for Bottas, had he been on the market last year I think he'd have been an absolute shoe-in for a seat in one of the major teams but this year there just any many seats that aren't already tied up.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think Merc are delaying until Bottas has a firm seat elsewhere.

Why risk your number 2 driver and fill his head with dread when they can delay and announce it without worrying he’ll implode with anxiety once it’s announced?

Associate
I think Merc are delaying until Bottas has a firm seat elsewhere.

Why risk your number 2 driver and fill his head with dread when they can delay and announce it without worrying he’ll implode with anxiety once it’s announced?

They might... or they might not be able... as maybe his new seat depends on other moves which would be set off by Russell to Merc etc.... so ironically he needs to get the boot before he can see if he has a seat

Caporegime
GR to merc will light up next year.
Genuinely expecting that it's not a forgone conclusion that LH will win next year. At the worst it could be alonso/Hamilton all over again. Probably not. But it's gonna be fun to watch!

I'm no fan or hater of LH. But it will be great to see how he compares and handles the possible pressure. And maybe even usurped!

Underboss
OP
I'm not saying they won't
Lando is doing a fantastic job , he beats Ricardo

I just feel he needs a try in a Merc, and i think he'll be just as good as what George did last year , but he's already under contract with mclaren for a couple of years I believe

Back
Top Bottom