Who's got the oldest PSU?

Associate
I'm rocking my OCZ 750W ZS PSU still. Bronze rated. Apparently this is a 2011 model and the company shut down shortly after.

Must be 12 years and counting, but now it's powering a 7900 XT + Ryzen 5700X.

I'm not sure about its early life - I bought it as part of a used FX-8350 build back in 2014 when I decided to move back to a desktop PC from my laptop .

Its heaviest load must have been having the FX-8350 + 2 x GTX 970s in SLI, which it handled with no problem.

Nowadays, a Ryzen 5700X + 7900XT should be a cake walk in comparison.

Got one of those powering a Xeon X5675 (6-core Westmere 1st Gen i7 equivalent) and Geforce GTX Titan X - decent PSU... OCZ / Sirfa did a decent job on it - voltage regulation and stability is good - it's not DC-DC regulated but is independent / not-group regulated.
Might rival my old Seasonic S12 original PSU from early 2000's and go nearly 20 years before dying a graceful turn-off to not turn-on again.

Associate
I've got an old Unix 386 box sitting around I obtained in the early 90s. The PSU in that comes from 1988 as it was upgraded. It's one of those which you can easily blow up your mobo with as the main power plugs for the motherboard are in 2 sections and can fit either way around, you need to make sure the black wires are together in the middle.
I think you might win with that.
I have an old '91 vintage AT PSU at parents somewhere - need to get rid of it really - damn useful for getting a +/-12V and +/- 5V DC supply though with a proper mechanical power switch.

Soldato
I have a 14.5 year old Antec Signature 850W in my secondary machine. It still works absolutely fine unlike the Corsair RM1000i that I RMAd a few years ago after it exploded due to not liking being turned on and off frequently. In order to avoid the same thing happening to the replacement RM1000i it has to be kept on at the mains at all times which is annoying (although I can shut down my PC of course).

Last edited:
Soldato
Still using a Corsair AX850 from 2011 in my main machine with a 3090. I had a Jeantech thing knocking round still getting occasional use until lately, never heard of them before or since. It was blue! Think I got it from the Computer repair shop I did work experience with in 2006, it is surely a dreadful product that shouldn't have lasted this long.

Last edited:
Associate
The longest I've had a PSU in a working PC was 10 years or so. I have one that is 20 years old at least that I have repurposed as a benchtop unit for electronics testing. Both corsair units.

G J

G J

Associate
Intresting to read about old PSU's still going as I'm using a Seasonic S2 II 500W still till this day from 2009-2010 powering atm my 13600K and rx 6600 setup though how this PSU survived a AMD Sapphire Tri-X 290 OC non X with its 275w TDP with a overclocked processor back in the day is I guess a testament to its quaility. :cry: I will never go above around 220w now for a GPU and stick to 8+6pin cards.

I'm hearing mentions of Qtec but I kinda remember them being a budget PSU brand as a friend had one that become endless jokes of it blowing up as the outer case of the PSU got hot to touch and the fans went crazy loud in it trying to cool it. I also remember they reviewed one rated for I think was 600w but it pulled upto 1kw from the wall due to how inefficient it was so gratz to people if they still have one that works and that youre still alive. :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I mean the Power supply in my Apple II Europlus has 1980 silkscreened onto the PCB, and as far as I can tell, having replaced one capacitor, it works perfectly.

I am still updating it to modern components though. (Reversibly/non destructively)

Soldato
Think this must be 10+ years old now, can't remember exactly when i got it. Still works just fine, was taken out of a office rig at home not too long ago.

Associate
I have an XFX core 850w from 2011 running in a second machine still. Basically my old 6700k system I repurposed instead of selling. Before that I think I was running one of the notorious Hiper explosive 580w PSUs. No explosions for me but I do remember selling it on ebay before the XFX. I wonder if it made the way to PSU heaven.

Soldato
Still using a Corsair AX850 from 2011 in my main machine with a 3090. I had a Jeantech thing knocking round still getting occasional use until lately, never heard of them before or since. It was blue! Think I got it from the Computer repair shop I did work experience with in 2006, it is surely a dreadful product that shouldn't have lasted this long.
I have the same AX850 that I bought in the Sham Shui Po electronics market when I was living in HK, around 2011.

It's just last week continued it's life as a new AM5 upgrade was installed in the system....had to root around in the loft to find the bag of cables though!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still using a Corsair HX 650W in my main rig - still works well and had no issues with it!

Will probably upgrade when I buy a new graphics card, but suits my 1080Ti well at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom