whos just bought a brand new car?

Caporegime
TheVoice said:
Except roads police officers are actually allowed to do so, usually while using various warning devices (lights and sirens).

Hardly the same thing.

Personally, I think any driving like that, regardless of who's doing it, should be kept away from public roads. There's no justification for it. Yes, a fast car like that is there to be enjoyed and everyone is going to want to put their foot down a bit, but there are far better places to do it.

They are not "allowed" to do it they are just trained better than joe public having no more than a few hours with BSM.

The number of times when police drivers are charged with reckless endagerment because of using the techniques at the wrong time and place are high(the number of convictions are not however, but don't get me started on the british justice system.)

In the past when I have been out driving often just for the fun of it, and come across a police advanced driver traing group out for the day from Hendon or Chelmsford, especially when I venture out in the fens they do like that area.
When I do come across them if I am not in much of a hurry for anything I often tag along behind and follow then for an hour or two, matching overtakes and more than keeping up with them.
Often I then get stopped and asked "who taught you to drive like that then?" I answer my dad, explain who he was (often the driving instructor in the car is one of my dad's ex pupils) and we then carry on.

As for putting your foot down and enjoying it that is perfectly possible without breaking speed limits, especially on country roads like in this video you can make very fast progress using all often road without ever going over 60 (often!!! ;) ). I would guess that the driver of this F430 was never going more than 70 maybe 80 in the video, and there are not many people here who can say they have never gone that sort of speed on those sort of roads in certain conditions.

Soldato
I'd love to know how anyone can tell the corners are blind when its been videoed by someone having a fit? :confused:

Just looks to me like someone having abit of fun down a twisty B road, done it thousands of times on various sportsbikes, use the road to its maximum potential , clip the apex and give it death :D.

Its virtually impossible from the video to tell whether those corners are actually blind, but my money's on not.

Fog

Soldato
Entai said:
At the risk of being flamed considerably I actually did not think the driving was too bad apart from two major points

1; leave the accelerating untill afrter the national speed limit signs not before please, I don't mind breaking the odd 60 or 70 limit but I would never (condone or actually) break lower limits in built up areas (that is just my personal opinion though)

2; Next time get the right gear before you are half way past the Merc A class you are overtaking

Apart from those two points otherwise the driving is reasonable given the good conditions and the nice open wide corners that you can see a long way through, also given the car and the fact the brakes are superb then I would not have been unhappy at being a passenger in that at those speeds, which I would have said never got much past 80 or maybe 90mph anyway. Had I been driving to be perfectly honest I would have at least been going that quickif not faster.

There is no problem in using both sides of the road when you can see that it is perfectly clear for a distance in which you can easily manouvere, slow down, or even stop in safely, which this driver did all the time (in this video anyway obvoiusly I can't comment on their driving at other times.)

The lines through corners and heel/toe downchanges did however mark him out to be someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel of a nice car.

As I say these are purely my opinions and please do not flame me to much and no "Think of the Children" As I have a daughter and often do think of her. :D

Blooming heck there was only five replies when I started typing this now look at all *** people above who are saying the same as me, I was trying to be the first Doh :(

I couldn't agree more. The driving was fine. It would have been good if the passenger/cameraman would have had some training, and kept the frekkin camera still so we had some reference point.

The driver was making a progressive, safe drive, keeping the car 'on the boil' in 90% of the time (apart from the odd wrong gear here and there, meh, we all make mistakes).

I didn't see one 'blind corner' on that road. I actually think that its good that he's using the road correctly, straight lining the corners where possible to make a progressive smooth drive.

Nice car too, I'm not usually a rari fan, but thats niiiiice! :)

Associate
OP
TheVoice said:
Except roads police officers are actually allowed to do so, usually while using various warning devices (lights and sirens).

Hardly the same thing.

Personally, I think any driving like that, regardless of who's doing it, should be kept away from public roads. There's no justification for it. Yes, a fast car like that is there to be enjoyed and everyone is going to want to put their foot down a bit, but there are far better places to do it.

yawn, please tell me the general user base of OCUK motors forum (cos I have no interest in the others) are not the same as this, joyless ****

get a life dude, or look at it this way, it would be worse, you might have to listen to you.

Associate
Great sound and lovely car, congrats to whoever :)

There is nothing wrong with being on the other side like that, all the corners cut have visibility anyway. People seem to just assume wrong side = dangerous, illegal, idiotic but it is not!

Like Lopez said, I too drive like that most days and the only thing that would have made me twitchy was the bus, but you cannot see ahead in the video like real life...

Soldato
I think that's fantastic. It's a stunning car and as far as I could see 'you' weren't blindly careering round corners. Was is filmed near cotgrave?

I'm sure you weren't driving recklessly in car that costs almost as much as a house!

Soldato
Skull said:
Hehe I was also expecting him to be in an urban area going round blind 80° bends at high speed.
I was expecting to see him in a DTurbo zooming past the Ferrari over the crest of a hill around a blind bend with plastic tyres and a wrench for a steering wheel! :p

Soldato
Fusion said:
With many people crying over the video, I expected lunacy of the highest order. What I saw looked like fun, seems a cracking road.

Same here.

Some of you guys shold come to one of the MM's and get a passenger ride with me, Coco, El and the others.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I can see around a corner (MM roads are great for that - no walls/hedges to hide the corners) I'll take the racing line, cut the corner and power out of it... at speed!

The video, while some of the corners weren't taken at their best (although, I don't think the driver was trying to go crazy, just going out for a blast) didn't look dangerous at all.

Nice car :cool: Nice video :cool:

Caporegime
uber jealousy!

excellent choice...... you git :p

just watched the vid, tbh he was driving slow ;]
could have been hell of a lot worse!

excellent sound, even more jealous :/

Last edited:
Soldato
VaderDSL said:
Congrats ... have a cookie

cookie.jpg

Ok im really hungry for a cookie now.

Very nice whip by the way.

/goes to the shop.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was expecting a video containing an idiot in a Ferrari recklessly overtaking people and cornering on the wrong side of the road on blind bends.

Nothing of the sort - on the whole, pretty good driving.

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Actually no, this wasn't when using blues and twos, this was general driver training. And as Entai has already stated, the IAM teaches people this technique too. So it isn't just the police that are 'allowed to':

Hence why I said "usually". As for IAM methods, I'd be surprised if they teach this technique at speeds over the NSL. I'm well-aware that there are well-trained drivers out there, but I'm sure even they have some respect for the roads and the rules that accompany them.

DreXeL said:
TheVoice: Maybe next time you should read the rest of the thread before quoting me and replying.

What makes you think I didn't?

Cassius Clarke said:
yawn, please tell me the general user base of OCUK motors forum (cos I have no interest in the others) are not the same as this, joyless ****

get a life dude, or look at it this way, it would be worse, you might have to listen to you.

If you're unable to accept differences in opinion without resorting to gormless insults and name-calling, I think you're the one in need of a life.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
TheVoice said:
I'd be surprised if they teach this technique at speeds over the NSL.

What has the speed got to do with anything? I was talking about the technique itself. The speed is irrelevent.

TheVoice said:
What makes you think I didn't?

Everything you posted.

Last edited:
Associate
driving look fine to me, didnt even look like they were going that fast.. :confused:

only fault is booting it before the national speed sign but its not like i havent done that before.

looked like a bog standard B road blat... who like being stuck behinde a bus and a van? i'd have over taken them if i was on the way to tesco's in my shopping car!

Back
Top Bottom