whos just bought a brand new car?

Caporegime
Exactly make the most of everything that is available to you in the circumstances, if you can see the road is clear and the conditions are right there is no problem in using all of the available tarmac.

Soldato
Its a bit toolish driving IMO, im sure it was fun, and i know id love to do that, but i cant help thinking that eventually youll hit something on a blind turn.

Very nice car though, albeit not to my taste. Id have spent the cash elsewhere, but its all personal preference, and if you like it, thats all that matters :)

More pics and vids please, as it does sound extremely nice.

Caporegime
But if you are approaching a blind turn that you cannot see round you would not be on the other side of the road so would not hit anything.

Horses for courses.

Drive to the conditions and make sure you can always stop in the distance ahead which you can see to be clear and safe.

The guy in this video at all times could see welll in to the distance so could easily stop safely should anything be approaching him that he considered to be a hazard., for instance when he first went to overtake the A class at the start and then saw the van approaching he slowed down pulled in behind the A class and went past it when the road was clear again after the corner, just a shame he fluffed the gearchange ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Entai said:
But if you are approaching a blind turn that you cannot see round you would not be on the other side of the road so would not hit anything.

Horses for courses.

Drive to the conditions and make sure you can always stop in the distance ahead which you can see to be clear and safe.

The guy in this video at all times could see welll in to the distance so could easily stop safely should anything be approaching him that he considered to be a hazard., for instance when he first went to overtake the A class at the start and tehn saw the van approaching he slowed down pulled in behind the A class and went past it when the road was clear again afetr the corner, just a shane he fluffed the gearchange ;)

and was only 60% on, as I said previously

Caporegime
Cassius Clarke said:
and was only 60% on, as I said previously

Exactly it is the public raod and not a race track so no way would he be more than probably 75% max on it at any time leaving plenty in reserve in case mr numpty comes around the corner ahead of you .

Associate
OP
and with the ceramic brake upgrade there is plenty of stopping power if needed, no matter how hard you have been pushing (the brakes where a 10 grand optional extra, but the smell alone was worth it)

Soldato
Entai said:
Exactly it is the public raod and not a race track so no way would he be more than probably 75% max on it at any time leaving plenty in reserve in case mr numpty comes around the corner ahead of you .

It wasnt that bad IMO. Yes i wouldnt drive like that, but give him credit if he is a ex racing driver, he should have good car control. Some of the speeds i did think were a bit mental, i know its unlikely but youd hardly see a padestrian if there were any. Im also presuming the camera is held by a passenger, so as the driver he should have a slightly better view than what was seen on the camera, albeit slight.

Ive seen far worse driving from cars that have absolute plebs at the wheel.

If you dont mind my asking, how much did it cost you? Tell me to sod off if you do mind :)

Caporegime
Slightly OT but roughly along similar lines, here is another clip from Pistonheads TV, where you see some nice lines through corners and good use of forward visibility. Again when the van pulls out on him he sees it in plenty of time to do something about it easily. He was nicely out looking past the van saw the cyclist and parked cars so pulled and a waited before then passing safely.

Caterham CSR260 Hooning about!

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Cassius Clarke said:
still not convinced i should post more stuff, the green eyed monsters seem to be at large today.

Ah, come on and post it. What reason have I got to be jealous? I own a 5000lb station wagon with a 5 litre V8 and fake wood panelling!

Now, if it was a 365GTB/4.....then I might be jealous.......:D

Associate
Simon said:
There were no blind bends, On the right of the video you can see it is all open land, you can see 'around' corners. That car will be very wide and bumps will unsettle it. I certainly wouldn't want to be in a VERY powerful rear wheel drive under full throttle bouncing along potholes.

Quite ironic really how people are calling them blind bends, seems it is their observation that is lacking.
Entai said:
Perhaps it's because people think that the drivers head only looks in one direction like the camera does, whereas the drivers head is probably turning so that he can look around and through the corners.
Also the view around and through corners would be greatly aided by the driver taking wide lines across the center white line to see further through the corner .

There was not one single blind bend on that entire video that I could see
Enfield said:
Driving doesn't look bad to me, visibility is good, could have been pushed harder.
TripleT said:
Can't see much wrong with the video either Does seem to smell of the usual green-eyed / non "regular" abuse to me
Lopez said:
Err, did everyone see the same video or have I missed something?

That's basically how I drive to work most days. The only move I'd not have duplicated was the overtake of the bus and that's because neither the 205 or the Mondeo have got the firepower to pull that sort of overtake off.

For the people at the other end of the spectrum who think the driver was ambling along and couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dog's arse, do remember that in car cameras, unless mounted really low knock about 30% of the speed off compared to real life.
Muncher said:
Cassius - The driving was fine, there was nothing on that video that I wouldn't be comfortable doing. Hope you enjoyed the drive ;)
Just a selection of quotes, which I totally agree with.
That vid was spot on to watch, a wider line to increase the visual angle while decreasing the time before the throttle can be cleanly nailed.
I'm with Lopez, if you want to make fast progress in a safe manor, that's the way to do it.

It strikes me that the majority of complaints or negative comments about the vid are from persons who genuinely don't drive there own motors hard or fast & so haven't experienced such a method.

Back on topic...
The F430 looks great & sounds fantastic, must be quite an experience, I just wish it was a 360CS! :p

And as were talking Ferrari's, here's Richard Meaden of .evo having some fun in a 599 while chasing Harry Metcalfe's 550 in Italy. "Watch out kids"

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Lovely car, and nothing wrong with the driving. I remember watching a program a while back and it was showing traffic police being trained. They are actually taught to use the whole road where safe to do so, exactly like the driver of this vid.

Except roads police officers are actually allowed to do so, usually while using various warning devices (lights and sirens).

Hardly the same thing.

Personally, I think any driving like that, regardless of who's doing it, should be kept away from public roads. There's no justification for it. Yes, a fast car like that is there to be enjoyed and everyone is going to want to put their foot down a bit, but there are far better places to do it.

Soldato
Coco said:
The F430 looks great & sounds fantastic, must be quite an experience, I just wish it was a 360CS! :p
[/URL]

Nah, the F430 is a much much nicer car than the 360 IMO. The sound from the V8 is a lot nicer to hear, and i prefer the styling too. Only complaint i have about the car is the colour, the 430 looks its best in dark grey i think, but thats just personal :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
TheVoice said:
Except roads police officers are actually allowed to do so, usually while using various warning devices (lights and sirens).

Hardly the same thing.

Actually no, this wasn't when using blues and twos, this was general driver training. And as Entai has already stated, the IAM teaches people this technique too. So it isn't just the police that are 'allowed to':

Entai said:
Of course the other group of people who regularly get taught to drive like this are drivers going for their IAM awards.

Some instructors only go as far as the white lines others, like myself, teach tehir students to use as much road as possible givean all the relevant circumstances.

TheVoice: Maybe next time you should read the rest of the thread before quoting me and replying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
DreXeL said:
Maybe next time you should read the rest of the thread before quoting me and replying.

A very dangerous thing to not do. :D

Now't wrong with his driving I thought! - And with that noise behind him, I don't blame him for his apparent like of the rev limiter. :) :cool:

Associate
TheVoice said:
There's no justification for it. Yes, a fast car like that is there to be enjoyed and everyone is going to want to put their foot down a bit, but there are far better places to do it.
That I have to totally agree with.

One of my greatest pleasures is to be able to go out & give it some beans, but as you said, there's no justification for it when I'm knowingly breaking the law & despite every effort to do it in a safe-manor there will always be that risk to myself & possibly others when on the road.

Will I stop? Not in the near future and while a track is great fun, it doesn't provide the same 'thrills' as on a road. If only the 'Ring was in the UK!

Back
Top Bottom