Who's turned their heating on?

Soldato
Why do people turn their heating off? Surely the whole point of it being thermostatically controlled is that it comes on when it's needed.

Mine has kicked in a couple of times in the last week or so, most recently was this morning.

When there's still some heat left in the day I prefer just to leave the flat to heat up itself without using heating, it'll go on to 18degC when it's struggling to do that by evening.

Indeed. If it's just early morning and late evening then i'll just deal with it and put a jumper on and a save a few quid. Our thermostat is in "summer mode" which means it's soft off with a 10c limit. I suspect this'll be the case until October.

Don
It is 21c inside the house at the moment, despite the colder air outside. Modern houses store heat very well!

I hope it is a few more months before I need the heating :D

Associate
Haven't turned the heating on yet, however if the temperatures keep dropping I might be forced to. Started wearing pyjamas to bed though.

Soldato
Mine might actually not be needed tonight if it holds the heat.

Current temps are,
Living room 19.5c
Dining room 19.5c
Hall 18c
Master Bedroom 17.5c
Back Bedroom 19c
Box room 17.5c

Hitman
Soldato
Ours has kicked on automatically once or twice over the past week and I've manually triggered it a couple of times - started to get quite a bit colder here now.

Associate
Don't understand the 'ill freeze before I turn the heating on mentality'. You've got a house with Central Heating and live in the modern world. Unless you actually cannot afford to heat the house just stick it on a program all year round and let technology take care of your comfort!

Soldato
Ours is still off but then the thermostat was still reading 19 degrees inside this morning. Once it drops to around 15 Ill probably stick it on to take the edge off first thing but until then its off till I get cold

Soldato
Downstairs thermostat 20.5 upstairs 21.7 at the moment no heating yet.

I worked out the other day that I am using on average just under 7 kwh power units a day, my combined gas + electric bills were around 50 a month on average, I expect this sort of trend to continue.

Associate
both downstairs and upstairs is 20.5 right now. Thermostat is never "off" it just tracks the temps at each specific time, according to the schedule and if need be will come on. Currently the highest temp it has in the schedule is 19 degrees.

Soldato
Downstairs thermostat 20.5 upstairs 21.7 at the moment no heating yet.

I worked out the other day that I am using on average just under 7 kwh power units a day, my combined gas + electric bills were around 50 a month on average, I expect this sort of trend to continue.
My heating is on and i paid £38 last month. Expect around £42 this month.

Associate
Circa 1815 house with single glazing and no insulation here. We've had the heating on for the odd hour in the last couple of weeks but just put it back on the timer last night. I try to have it on as little as possible as the boiler is hideously inefficient and costs a fortune to run.

Soldato
No heating on here as I've got an inset coal fire with a back boiler to run the central heating, so that gets lit at the start of winter and goes out in the spring :p

Saying that, I haven't even shut the windows yet, though I did have to put a jumper on last night!

Soldato
Nah, not yet. I got the final summer holiday on the 22 September for a week in Tenerife. I suspect the wife will be tapping me up to turn it on not long after we return from there!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Mine might actually not be needed tonight if it holds the heat.

Current temps are,
Living room 19.5c
Dining room 19.5c
Hall 18c
Master Bedroom 17.5c
Back Bedroom 19c
Box room 17.5c

What are you using to measure this? I'd be keen to know temps in areas of my house without a bog standard thermometer on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom