Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hey guys, (now ive got you with that title) so I went vegetarian about 9 months ago after struggling with the idea of eating meat for quite a while and have recently gone vegan after seeing footage of a cow get bolt gunned in the head.

I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry. And piglets have their teeth "trimmed" and tails "docked" to reduce tail biting amongst other pigs which is a symptom of mental stress, gee I wonder why they might be stressed....

So why are you not vegan....

Edited the title just due to the backlash :)

Documentary on UK farming - https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/

Document on the misery of broiler or "meat" birds https://www.rspca.org.uk/webContent/staticImages/BroilerCampaign/EatSitSufferRepeat.pdf

Common arguments debunked - https://www.carnismdebunked.com/general-ethical

Last edited:
Hey guys, (now ive got you with that title) so I went vegetarian about 9 months ago after struggling with the idea of eating meat for quite a while and have recently gone vegan after seeing footage of a cow get bolt gunned in the head.

I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry. And piglets have their teeth "trimmed" and tails "docked" to reduce tail biting amongst other pigs which is a symptom of mental stress, gee I wonder why they might be stressed....

So, lets have at it, why do you still pay for animal abuse?

BBQ

/thread

Soldato
It's one of the benefits of being top of the food chain.

But I would look to drastically cut back the amount of meat we as a world consume, based on the amount of resources and land it uses and the corresponding effect on climate change.

It's a mad statistic that 96% of the mammalian biomass on this planet is us and our livestock. 60% being the livestock.

Caporegime
Sad to see the predictable blind dismissal of a fairly fundamental issue in both animal rights and climate change, the usual childish quips and the jumping on the defensive without the ability to properly defend their stance.

Personally, i have removed about 95% of my meat and 60-70% of my dairy, and i am extremely selective of where and what meat & dairy i do buy. This has been a gradual process over the last 3 years but has now reached a level where i find most meat entirely unapatizing and i am frequently disappointed by the experience, so i suspect i will 100% vegetarian soon. On the dairy front, a lot is replaced such as milk and yoghurt, but cheese is a real problem, especially living in Switzerland. i have had poor experiences with vegan cheeses. I only use eggs for baking but need to experiment more with alternatives.

Caporegime

Where do you buy your clothes? Cars? Mobile phones? Are you happy to judge folk for 'animal abuse' but not slaverly?

Caporegime
Because I am a meat eater and refuse to let holier than thou people like you make me feel guilty for something that man has been doing for millions of years

no, you are an omnivore that doesn't bhave to eat meat. what humans have been doing for millions of years is irrelevant - rape and murder has been common for millions of years.

Soldato
and to survive a climate catastrophe we will need to drastically reduce meat and dairy consumption, so yes useful humans can survive on a vegan diet
Red meat is the main driver though. Cut your red meat consumption and you are already doing well but yeah if somebody starts a thread with 'why do you support animal abuse' then it is only going to go one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom