Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
I enjoy meat and as I eat a Keto diet I always aim to by responsibly farmed, grass pastured beef when I can get it.

Eggs are always organic and I try to buy from local farms where possible too.

I've accepted animals need to die for my diet, but I do try to get animals that have had some kind of reasonable life.

Shame a triggered meat eating mod has obviously moved this to GD for the lols but whatever.

I used to say the same things, unfortunately what you describe doesn't exist in reality. What chickens and pigs go through certainly doesn't constitute a reasonable life im afraid, sure outdoor bred pigs might have a slightly better life but this isnt the reality for most people. And you will no doubt eat at restaurants that most likely wont be using outdoor reared expensive pork and organic chickens.

Source - https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/pigs/keyissues

Soldato
OP
Not sure I could completely give up meat but I don't eat a lot. Grew up working on a dairy farm and my best mates parents owned a chicken farm that fattened 1000s of chicks in hot houses for Sun Valley and conditions especially for the chickens weren't great. I wish we had higher animal welfare standards. These are animals that feel fear and pain. Cows are surprisingly smart. At least our welfare standards are higher than the US and Australia, they are brutal in comparison.

Yea I grew up near a dairy farm. All the horrors were hidden though, like baby male calves being murdered straight away or left to suffocate in the dead mother or sold for veal.

Ours are not much better honestly, i've only managed about 10 minutes of the documentary 'land of hope and glory' which exposes the truths of UK farming. Can be watched here for anyone interested.

Caporegime
Shame a triggered meat eating mod has obviously moved this to GD for the lols but whatever.

I used to say the same things, unfortunately what you describe doesn't exist in reality. What chickens and pigs go through certainly doesn't constitute a reasonable life im afraid, sure outdoor bred pigs might have a slightly better life but this isnt the reality for most people. And you will no doubt eat at restaurants that most likely wont be using outdoor reared expensive pork and organic chickens.

If you want to be a vegan, then that’s your choice, I accept it. But you need to reciprocate by accepting other people make their own choices and not preach about it like you’re bloody Frances of Assisi.

Soldato
Im really not easily offended by "bacon tho" comments. I was hoping to at least have a reasonble conversation but its been moved to GD for some reason.

No you weren't. Nobody expecting reasonable conversation starts off a thread like you did. When you started it this way being moved to GD and the enusing slanging match between both sides was the only outcome.

Soldato
OP
Sad to see the predictable blind dismissal of a fairly fundamental issue in both animal rights and climate change, the usual childish quips and the jumping on the defensive without the ability to properly defend their stance.

Personally, i have removed about 95% of my meat and 60-70% of my dairy, and i am extremely selective of where and what meat & dairy i do buy. This has been a gradual process over the last 3 years but has now reached a level where i find most meat entirely unapatizing and i am frequently disappointed by the experience, so i suspect i will 100% vegetarian soon. On the dairy front, a lot is replaced such as milk and yoghurt, but cheese is a real problem, especially living in Switzerland. i have had poor experiences with vegan cheeses. I only use eggs for baking but need to experiment more with alternatives.

It is a shame yea but its what you're up against, and tbh, I do like such polarized topics, a lot of it comes from ignorance anyway and I would no doubt have said similar stupid stuff 5yrs ago.

Oh yea vegan cheese is a bit dodgy, I do miss Five Guys burgers, I still enjoy burgers anyways there just not made of cows.

Milk is so easy to replace, theres an abundance of plant milks now.

Caporegime
vegetarian-lettuce.gif

Soldato
OP
If you want to be a vegan, then that’s your choice, I accept it. But you need to reciprocate by accepting other people make their own choices and not preach about it like you’re bloody Frances of Assisi.

Oh right, if I like to kick dogs, thats ok then? Personal choice after all.

Your choices have a victim, that's what vegans take issue with.

Soldato
Im really not easily offended by "bacon tho" comments. I was hoping to at least have a reasonble conversation but its been moved to GD for some reason.
Your sig says it all really.

Grandson of farmers on my mother's side. Grandson of vegetarians on my father's side. I am agnostic and will sup with either.
My father's parents spoke at a world vegetarian conference held at Stonehouse Gloucestershire in the 1940's. They were quite strict in adherence as their cats were fed on marmite toast. But have you ever known a vegetarian cat?

Soldato
OP
It's one of the benefits of being top of the food chain.

But I would look to drastically cut back the amount of meat we as a world consume, based on the amount of resources and land it uses and the corresponding effect on climate change.

It's a mad statistic that 96% of the mammalian biomass on this planet is us and our livestock. 60% being the livestock.

Yea top of the food chain, until we enter a match with hippos/bears/lions or take a dip with a shark, then we're not so tough.

Man of Honour

There's plenty of restaurants that will tell you exactly where they source their meat from.

Also an RSPCA link? Might want to look into their rescue animal euthanasia policy...

Yea top of the food chain, until we enter a match with hippos/bears/lions or take a dip with a shark, then we're not so tough.

:D

Being top of the food chain includes the ability to make tools like guns

Soldato
OP
Your sig says it all really.

Grandson of farmers on my mother's side. Grandson of vegetarians on my father's side. I am agnostic and will sup with either.
My father's parents spoke at a world vegetarian conference held at Stonehouse Gloucestershire in the 1940's. They were quite strict in adherence as their cats were fed on marmite toast. But have you ever known a vegetarian cat?

My sigs a quote from Charlie Brooker.

They're obligate carnivore so no you wont find a vegan cat to my knowledge, there was a border collie who lived till 25 on a plant based diet tho, pretty amazing.

Caporegime
9 months of being a vegetarian and a few weeks of being a vegan then openly attacking others for their choices they've made, the same one that OP had done for decades?

Really? Does a few months of this buy you such a high horse? What about other things people have done in their life that benefits society? Can a heart surgeon eat a burger per child saved on the table? You going to have a pop at Mother Teresa not being a vegan?

Pleaseeeeeee, there is so much hypocrisy here.

Soldato
Hey guys, (now ive got you with that title) so I went vegetarian about 9 months ago after struggling with the idea of eating meat for quite a while and have recently gone vegan after seeing footage of a cow get bolt gunned in the head.

I think the main problems are ignorance and cultural conditioning, I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry. And piglets have their teeth "trimmed" and tails "docked" to reduce tail biting amongst other pigs which is a symptom of mental stress, gee I wonder why they might be stressed....

So, lets have at it, why do you still pay for animal abuse?
I imagine what you are describing is worse case scenario. We saw some lovely looking pig farms near Sutton Hoo. My wife described it as glamping for pigs!

I pretty much only eat free range meat, which is enough to assuage my conscience.
I have no plans to stop eating meat, but would prefer that the animals are treated as kindly as possible before slaughter.

Soldato
OP
Meat has most of what I need to survive and quite frankly, I like it. Every vegan I know looks sickly.

I don't approve of the methods in which animals are treated though. I don't really have a choice of where my meat comes from or treated unless the packaging is telling me.

I can't fight every battle in life. If you feel like it's a battle for you to make a change, then go for it.

Plant based diets have everything you need to survive, except B12.

I work out doing heavy weights 3 times a week. im not skinny or sickly. Theres also people like 'Hench Herbivore' and 'Lifting Vegan Logic'. All those are probably stronger than the people posting in this thread who eat meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom