Why are you not vegan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
It can't have taken you 38 years to realise animals in the meat industry are treated poorly? If you've been struggling with the idea why did you continue?

Spent a few years veggie and about a year vegan and never felt the need to make others feel bad about it. I support all of the arguments and agree its a morally superior choice but I also love meat. Cutting down on meat intake significantly, and trying to buy as locally as possible (budget allowing) is all I'd ever encourage others to do.

It's never been easier to go without meat and its encouraging to see more and more vegan options out and about so I do think people are starting to take it a bit more seriously.

Still miffed that oat milk is so expensive, its water and oats, how does it cost more than running a dairy farm :mad:

Soldato
and to survive a climate catastrophe we will need to drastically reduce meat and dairy consumption, so yes useful humans can survive on a vegan diet

Sounds very fascistic. You are branding humans with others ideas therfore non-useful. History has shown what happened to people labelled non-useful.

Soldato
Sad to see the predictable blind dismissal of a fairly fundamental issue in both animal rights and climate change, the usual childish quips and the jumping on the defensive without the ability to properly defend their stance.
Did you really expect anything different when you literally accused people of supporting animal abuse? If you thought trolling people with such an inflammatory topic title was going to result in anything but derision then maybe giving up meat has had adverse effects.

Man of Honour
Sad to see the predictable blind dismissal of a fairly fundamental issue in both animal rights and climate change, the usual childish quips and the jumping on the defensive without the ability to properly defend their stance.

Personally, i have removed about 95% of my meat and 60-70% of my dairy, and i am extremely selective of where and what meat & dairy i do buy. This has been a gradual process over the last 3 years but has now reached a level where i find most meat entirely unapatizing and i am frequently disappointed by the experience, so i suspect i will 100% vegetarian soon. On the dairy front, a lot is replaced such as milk and yoghurt, but cheese is a real problem, especially living in Switzerland. i have had poor experiences with vegan cheeses. I only use eggs for baking but need to experiment more with alternatives.
There's an interesting discussion to be had but unfortunately the OP knew exactly what they were going for by wording the title and opening post the way they did and it wasn't intellectual debate.

Soldato
Meat has most of what I need to survive and quite frankly, I like it. Every vegan I know looks sickly.

I don't approve of the methods in which animals are treated though. I don't really have a choice of where my meat comes from or treated unless the packaging is telling me.

I can't fight every battle in life. If you feel like it's a battle for you to make a change, then go for it.

Soldato
Not sure I could completely give up meat but I don't eat a lot. Grew up working on a dairy farm and my best mates parents owned a chicken farm that fattened 1000s of chicks in hot houses for Sun Valley and conditions especially for the chickens weren't great. I wish we had higher animal welfare standards. These are animals that feel fear and pain. Cows are surprisingly smart. At least our welfare standards are higher than the US and Australia, they are brutal in comparison.

Soldato
I'm currently doing the carnivore diet for my own health. I'll probably continue it forever because so many 'normal' foods make me ill. I do care about animals and I would like the animals I eat to live in decent conditions and to be stunned before slaughter, but that's out of my control. I don't particularly feel guilty about eating animals because animals eat other animals all the time, humans like to think they're a special species but they aren't really, in fact the only thing special about humans is they eat processed junk which isn't actually food, and they follow trends e.g. shipping avocados across the planet.

Caporegime
I recently found that baby male chicks are either ground up alive or gassed at 1 day old because they're useless in the egg industry.

How are you only just realising this? Yes, only the female ones lay eggs. Likewise, what do you think happens to most bull calves given they can't produce milk?

Are there really lots of people out there who'd otherwise be vegetarians or vegans but somehow don't know about baby male cows, chicks etc.?

OP is not even a vegan though, he is a vegetarian…

He said he's a vegan:
I went vegetarian about 9 months ago after struggling with the idea of eating meat for quite a while and have recently gone vegan after seeing footage of a cow get bolt gunned in the head.

You get different types of vegans and vegetarians too tbh... some will eat say eggs from rescue hens for example while others won't, some eat honey, some will eat muscles, oysters etc. and are a bit more pragmatic about it.

I don't particularly want to restrict my diet, I do think cutting down on meat is a good thing though and would be quite happy for it to go back to being an expensive luxury that people don't get to eat every day if that meant better conditions for animals. I don't know if that is politically feasible given how much people like cheap junk food etc..

I doesn't seem like it will take too long for lab-grown meat to become popular so I suspect vegans and vegetarians will become rarer in the future.

Soldato
I really enjoyed seeing the protestor being sprayed with slurry at the agricultural show last week.

What is sauce fir the goose is sauce for the gander as they say. Or mess with farmers and they will mess with you.

Soldato
I only eat dead things I would be comfortable killing myself, so that's basically just insects and sea food, purely because I grew up learning to fish, apart from that I'll occassionally eat organic eggs and some dairy but I look for cheese that is vegetarian.

I'd been wrestling with the morality and hypocrisy of eating meat for a while as an animal lover and as such just decided, if I'm not comfortable killing it myself it would be hypocritical to eat it because somebody else killed it for me, it's a simple moral line to draw and works for me.

Lab grown meat though, I would eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom