Why Do DHL lie?

Associate
Expecting a monitor today via UPS. I was actually standing on my doorstep looking at the tracking when it updated to say 'The courier attempted to deliver your parcel'

This is clearly a lie, so I'm with the OP. No card, not been away from the front of the house in the last hour.

Soldato
I was pleasantly surprised when I had to use UPS for a Benq monitor RMA. I thought it was going to take a couple of weeks, but it was collected from my house exactly when they said they would, ~48 hrs to get to The Netherlands, ~48 hrs with Benq, and ~48 hrs to get back to me, again delivered exactly when scheduled.

Associate
OP
Yeah DHL don't have any issues - and you can speak to a human in the correct department to resolve any delays if they do occur at least.

Hi,

Can you tell me how to do that please?

When I rang I get the choice to book a delivery or track a delivery. If I go for track I'm asked to enter my consignment number. An automated voice then asks me to confirm the postcode and then I'm told, "The parcel is out for delivery, it will be with you by 18:00hrs".

Which is, see below, another lie.

Soldato
DHL sent a parcel to the wrong house number in the wrong street. Then wouldnt tell me where it went because "data protection act".

Luckily I managed to social engineer them in to leaking some info and got it back myself.

Associate
OP
Ok, an update from Monday.

As you know the parcel was due to be redelivered on Monday (26th).

I received an email again from DHL stating the parcel would be with me between 13:54 and 14:54. I saw there was an option for an update to be sent to me when my parcel was next to be delivered. So I entered my email and phone number.

At 13:54 I did what was suggested previously. I took a late lunch and stood in my lounge waiting. Looking out of the window.

At 14:12 I received an email from DHL, you will be next. The driver is enroute and will be with you between 5 and 15 minutes time. Great!

45 minutes later I was still waiting. I gave them till 15:00hrs but still nothing. I returned to my office (upstairs, front of the property) and had the window open. All day only one white van entered my street, this was a decorator working next door.

At 3pm I tried to call DHL. I was given the option to book a delivery or track one. I selected track and entered my consignment number when asked. I then had to confirm the postcode. I was told, by an automated voice, the parcel was out of delivery and would be with me by 18:00hrs. Guess what? I'm still waiting.

I contacted the eBay seller. He told me DHL are now saying there was no contact.

Well, to an extent, that isn't a lie. As no DHL van entered my street then indeed there was no contact! Funny that they have both my mobile number and email and yet they couldn't get hold of me. I have not left my home on Friday or Monday. The neighbours opposite, and to both sides of me, are retired and are therefore in all day. The parcel is not high value or breakable. It could be left with any neighbour.

I never received a "we missed you" card when they allegedly knocked and got no contact.

I'll leave you to decide whether this would frustrate you or not...

Soldato
I had a delivery via DPD the other day where the driver couldn’t find me (he said no satnav in the van or satnav couldn’t find me), but he did call to ask if I could meet him in a village 5 minutes away as he had 2 deliveries to make there. I actually saw him outside a farm on the way to the village, so I collected the parcel there.

The best part was that after my introducing myself, him recognising my rubbish Franglais accent and my showing him my driving licence as ID; he still asked for the DPD secure delivery code I’d been sent.

All for a €25 bag of tile cement.

Associate
OP
Personally, I've never had a problem with DPD. I know others can probably tell different stories, but for me, DPD are the best by far. I would happily pay (slightly) more, or wait longer, if I knew the delivery was done by DPD.

Soldato
I have a man crush on my DPD driver. What a babe he is.

Sounds like a nightmare re: your rods. Bit of a faff in any direction you go: either buy again and hope the other ones turn up and do a return; or ask seller if they can despatch another set...

Haven't had the (mis)fortune of using DHL for a long while now...!

fez

fez

Caporegime
The reason they do it is the same reason most people do things, because there are no repercussions. They don't refund you, they don't get in trouble and the only person who loses out is the recipient who they don't really care about.

They are all in a race to the bottom and if we are honest, the amount we pay for delivery is a pittance considering the effort involved in that parcels journey.

Its kind of why I have given up worrying about which company I use because I have had issues with all of them.

Associate
OP
Update...

Parcel has finally arrived. :)

When I asked the driver what had caused all the delays he wasn't able to answer.

I think Fez (above) has summed it up really, still no excuse for blantant BS though.

Soldato
UPS are far worse.

We had exactly the same situation.. they drove up and then drove off.

Based on responses in this thread, I would understand if the parcel wasn't loaded and instead came next day, no issue.

Except they dropped the parcel at a local drop off point, a newsagents.. and when we got there, there was a huge stack of other UPS parcels, so this guy has clearly just skipped his deliveries and then dumped them at the drop point.

I don't get it.

Soldato
This is another good reason to get CCTV cameras on the front of your house.

I had an issue with an Amazon delivery recently. The parcel wasn't delivered even though it said was handed to the resident. The moment I said I have a CCTV system and cameras pointing at the door Amazon couldn't deny the situation and immediately made a re-order.

Back
Top Bottom