Why do people buy Rustlers microwave burgers?

you can buy frozen burgers that have cheese already in them, they in my opinion are a much better alternative.

I suspect if rustlers made a oven cooked variant of their product it be so much better, but microwave seems more fashionable due to the cooking speed, but microwave is not good for certain types of food.

It is incredible how variable quality of food can be.

Like frozen sausages that are oven cooked, there was a particular product I used to buy from tesco and they tasted so nice, the meat was full, and they were not watery and also not very fatty, the fat left in the oven tray was minimal. Then suddenly one week the product was replaced with another one on the tesco website, I suspect they changed suppliers to save costs, and the new one was horrible, about 5x the fat left in the oven tray after they were cooked, they were very watery, and sort of shrunk when cooked. A trend I noticed in lots of products is increased water conent over the years presumably to save costs.

Another one is burgers, some burgers are more filling than others, whilst some shrink when cooked and are watery.

Sandwich spreads, cheese and onion sandwich spread 10 years ago you could really taste the cheese and onions and it was a thick spread, now days if you buy the same spread from "any" supermarket (so they all using same supplier or same cost cutting techniques), they much more watery with weaker taste that feels artificial.

Pre packed sandwiches from tesco were repackaged in the past 2 months (probably changed supplier), the quality is noticeably down, again higher water content, they probably saving something like 5p per sandwich but profit is profit. When tesco reduced the sizes of their subs, but kept the quality I prefer that to just making the product taste like crap and been soggy.

I have worked for a food manufacturer and seen the sort of cost cutting that can go on, but sometimes it gets reversed when sales drop and/or complaints go up.

Last edited:
Although admitting to being an occasional rustlers fan earlier in the thread (had one this week when late from work) I've had an epiphany.

If I fancy a burger during the week and have time to cook I'll make two out of fresh mince and keep one for work the next day, but usually only once per two weeks.

Due to me and the mrs getting in from work late on fridays and needing to do shopping before eating we usually get a McDonalds after the shop so I dont have to cook when we get in (usually 8-9pm by that time). Over the last few months I've noticed that after eating a normal medium sized maccys I feel like absolute **** internally, for about 24 hours. I'm bloated AF after the meal and the next morning have to have a huge unload unlike any other meal.

So last couple of weeks I was home early, mrs says shes looking forwards to maccys later, I cook burgers and homemade chips (baked not deep fried, I've got it nailed now and theyre as good as fried) and its decent.

Best part is: 1: about £5 cheaper 2: No bloating, plenty of room for a couple of beers after 3: No horrendous ***** the next day.

Other than the friday nights I was pretty much cooking from fresh all week, but even rustlers burgers dont upset me jimmies like a mcdonalds does!

So last couple of weeks I was home early, mrs says shes looking forwards to maccys later, I cook burgers and homemade chips (baked not deep fried, I've got it nailed now and theyre as good as fried) and its decent.

Have you tried triple cooking the chips? Takes a bit of prep but you can get a batch done in advance I guess as there are two stages that involve the freezer, so you could do the first two stages and then just have a batch in the freezer ready to go that just need to be whacked in a fryer at 180 for 7 mins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Cooked_Chips

Have you tried triple cooking the chips? Takes a bit of prep but you can get a batch done in advance I guess as there are two stages that involve the freezer, so you could do the first two stages and then just have a batch in the freezer ready to go that just need to be whacked in a fryer at 180 for 7 mins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Cooked_Chips

Might give it a go, quite like soft chips myself so not looked into it before

E: just seen they're deep fried, that's a no from me then

The great thing about Rustlers, besides being on offer all the time,
is the ability to mix and match.
You can really knock up something nice, by grabbing a few.

Dirty food you betcha, no worse than what you grab on a night out.

Not had one in years but I found the trick was to microwave the burger and cheese and to put the bun in the toaster. Probably been covered already but that makes them tolerable for me

Back
Top Bottom