Why do some avoid the doctors?

Soldato
I've buggered my foot but I didn't go to the doctor partly because I didn't want to be told that I couldn't play football for x amount of time and partly because they would just tell me what I already know - rest it. Three weeks of rest from any high impact exercise so far and if it isn't totally sorted in another couple I'll go and see what's wrong.

Associate
There is big money now with the pharmaceuticals and some pills are v v cheap to make therefore profits are huge.

Take it you don't quite know just how much money goes into research for a new drug then.

Companies don't just discover that One drug, they spend on average, £500mil just to develop one potential drug, and even then, there is no guarantee that it will pass clinical trials.

Even after all that passes, they only have the patent on it for 10 years, so 10 years to make some money off something they spent potentially billions on.

Permabanned
My doctor has a very VERY poor grasp of English.

When I set an appointment and arrive there, he also expects me to wait for an unspecified time before I am actually allowed to see him. This is unacceptable to me, I wouldn't accept in in any other part of my life - so why here?

The waiting room only has mind draining magazines about how Jordan is breaking up with Peter Andre.

Whenever I go, whatever is wrong with me, he always takes my blood pressure, and perform many other tests. This is not because he really cares about me. This is because the way it works is if he takes blood pressure he 'charges' to NHS £7.50 for doing so. If he orders a blood test he can 'charge' the NHS more. It's about 30 seconds work.

When I had an ingrowing toenail he wandered towards me with the blood pressure machine - I said to him 'It's an ingrowing toenail - I do not want my blood pressure checked'. He got in a snotty mood because he couldn't get his 'extra money' out of me - and stated I refused 'treatment' and kicked me out of his surgery without giving me any anti-biotics for the toenail (which, I'd checked on t'net - was all I needed) - as a kind of punishment to be for refusing the extra unnecessary tests.

On the way out I asked him if I could continue playing football .. his answer 'You think you know more about medicine than me, so go figure it out yourself'.

Marvellous. I will not lower myself to a trip to the doctors again ..

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm the type that unless I have a very serious problem, I'm not going to waste my, or indeed the doctors/hospitals time. Dentists on the other hand... I hate dentists. Not personally. Any I've had have been lovely people. I just hate dental procedures. But like the doctors I try to avoid going unless I absolutely have to. I didn't go to one for five years until my wisdom teeth started playing up. And I spent a week eating ibuprofen and soup before I decided that I either had to get a dentist to sort it out or I was going to throw myself in front of a bus.

Caporegime
OP
Well it's now on her chest and she needs antibiotics, she's finding it difficult to breath. Now she's made an appointment with the doctors! :rolleyes:

" I told you so!, you didn't listen and now you're going to the doctors after it's got this far"

Sigh

Soldato
Some people are responsible enough to know that for every little sniffleit's not worth going in.

Whilst it isn't a good idea to overload the NHS every time you have a sniffle some people simply don't recognize the signs that what they have may need some medical attention. Other people like me due to various medical conditions have no choice but to get most things checked out by a medical expert.

There is a balance between being a time waster and not seeking help.

Associate
I work with a girl who's the other way, she will got for anything, I think she likes to say "oh I'm not very well I'm going to the docs"

What gets me is she only works part time but can only ever get in to see the doc during work time....! Grrr...

Soldato
I'd rather go to a witch doctor than a UK GP (Quack,Quack!) oops! 'Sorry wrong drug, don't worry the side effects may only be temporary'. Quack Quack oops!. Hey try this drug instead, no guarantees but you never know.

'Hey! I get a nice commision for prescribing this drug, try it!' It probably won't make you feel any better but at least it will help me pay for the new Bentley!'

I think your tinfoil hat may have slipped a little.

Oh and I agree with the poster who said you are an idiot. Your are.

Caporegime
I avoid the doctors, as I don't see the point of wasting there time.

Most things I've had my body will get rid of it itself, as it is designed to do so.

Man of Honour
I avoid the doctors, as I don't see the point of wasting there time.

Most things I've had my body will get rid of it itself, as it is designed to do so.

Indeed. I know enough about my health and looking after my body that I'd rather leave the doctors treating ill people.

I haven't been to the docs other than a couple of post operation check ups (minor surgery).

In fact that reminds me I need to get an NHS card, as I have no idea where I'm registered or who my GP is!! :rolleyes: :o

Soldato
What angers me about the doctors is bloody waiting times. Takes me 10 working days to get an appointment at my doctors, by that time it's generally cleared up.

Soldato
In which case a visit to the doctors probably wasn't needed...

You're probably right, but if you can be cured a lot quicker because of medical intervention then surely it's better for all concerned?

My doctors surgery is terrible. I'm on a repeat prescription and each time, without fail, something goes wrong. I have no faith in it at all and really need to sort out changing.

Permabanned
You're probably right, but if you can be cured a lot quicker because of medical intervention then surely it's better for all concerned?.

Not really. It's better for your immune system to fight illnesses itself where possible. Medical intervention should only be used for the more serious problems. Like broken limbs. Exploding internal organs. Brain injuries.

Feeling a bit under the weather takes nothing more than manning up, a couple of headache tablets and sweating it out.

Soldato
I had multiple virus's this year, all caught from my kids. I don't need to go to a doctor to be told to "drink plenty of fluids and take paracetamol", if a few more people used some common sense rather than taking up resources that are needed to treat seriously ill patients the NHS wouldn't be in such a **** state.

Associate
I don't like going because I feel I am wasting their time. If I'm not crippled in bed then I'm well enough. Although I have gone recently because I was ordered to by the gf but I didn't like it. Every doctor I have met has been incredibly helpful but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few rubbish ones out there.

Soldato
I think your tinfoil hat may have slipped a little.

Oh and I agree with the poster who said you are an idiot. Your are.

Actually he does have a point, especially when it comes to psychiatric medicine. I know plenty of people who've been prescribed all manner of pills with no forethought from the GP which have either made them worse, been a complete ballache to get off when the time comes or have such nasty side effects that it'd probably be better for the patient to just not take anything.

Some GP's are utterly shocking, I watched one look up symptoms and treatment on Google once, no word of a lie.

Soldato
Not really. It's better for your immune system to fight illnesses itself where possible. Medical intervention should only be used for the more serious problems. Like broken limbs. Exploding internal organs. Brain injuries.

Feeling a bit under the weather takes nothing more than manning up, a couple of headache tablets and sweating it out.

It may be better for your immune system to fight illness, but if you catch a contagious illness then I'd argue that it would be better to seek treatment to avoid infecting others and to ensure your stay off work (or other things) is as minimal as possible.
A&E is for those issues you mention anyway, not your GP.

Back
Top Bottom