• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why GPU prices are NOT likely to drop significantly EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I understand perfectly because I have sold stuff which has appreciated before(not computers),but again so what?? You need to still invest enough to make it worthwhile which means you need the money to buy sufficient quantities. Also if you are referring to gambling what about all the people who are loosing massive amounts to gambling?

Using your logic maybe you should just buy lottery tickets,because Steve down the pub bought £1000 worth of them and they won the Euromillions?

Lots of people don't have the bank of mum and dad,to support them at 20. You basically were supported by your parents with a free roof over your head,etc. Plenty of people leave home at 16 and have to support themselves - they don't have "free" money and "can't" practice. You don't see to understand how many people live a hand to mouth existence in this country. People "can't" sit on assets. If you can "sit" on assets you are well off. The fact that you can't understand this means you were only surrounded by well off people.

They can't sit on them on whether they are hard assets or virtual assets like shares. I know people who invest into hard assets like you are saying - they all came from well off situations or their parents could assist them. They could afford to sit on assets because they had enough free cash to run their own lives.

What you are trying to preach isn't something special. It's no different than people who bought property during economic downturns. They did so either because they had the free assets to do so,or were risk takers and took massive debt onboard.

This is a country which has more food banks than McDonalds. Yes,I am sure everyone could have bought 10000 of AMD shares are a few dollars a pop,and made over 20 times that amount. Or bought a property when it was "only" £100000,and it might have gone up 3X in 20 years. But again you need that capitol and the ability to SIT ON IT.

People who CAN SIT ON IT,are well off people. This is why the rich are getting richer because they can hedge their bets for as long as possible.

It proves the point I was making - the well off and the children of well off people can get into doing these sorts of things. Why? Because taking a risk means they are not going to be on the street. Money makes even more money.

Yes,a poor person can become a billionaire but again only because they are either very intelligent and can educate themselves upwards,and are willing to take risks. Having stable family which are willing to not kick you out at 16,and expect you to pay your own way in life gives you a MASSIVE headstart over many others.

In fact in many countries,the kids have to work from a young age to help support their families.

Most of the world's population is poor,not because they can't see the light. They can see it but can barely earn enough to stop being homeless,or are mired in debt.

Be thankful that you were born into a situation where you had a family who could support you,and gave you a chance to take risks.

Quoted for truth.

Caporegime
I understand perfectly because I have sold stuff which has appreciated before(not computers),but again so what?? You need to still invest enough to make it worthwhile which means you need the money to buy sufficient quantities. Also if you are referring to gambling what about all the people who are loosing massive amounts to gambling?

Using your logic maybe you should just buy lottery tickets,because Steve down the pub bought £1000 worth of them and they won the Euromillions?

Lots of people don't have the bank of mum and dad,to support them at 20. You basically were supported by your parents with a free roof over your head,etc. Plenty of people leave home at 16 and have to support themselves - they don't have "free" money and "can't" practice. You don't see to understand how many people live a hand to mouth existence in this country. People "can't" sit on assets. If you can "sit" on assets you are well off. The fact that you can't understand this means you were only surrounded by well off people.

They can't sit on them on whether they are hard assets or virtual assets like shares. I know people who invest into hard assets like you are saying - they all came from well off situations or their parents could assist them. They could afford to sit on assets because they had enough free cash to run their own lives.

What you are trying to preach isn't something special. It's no different than people who bought property during economic downturns. They did so either because they had the free assets to do so,or were risk takers and took massive debt onboard.

This is a country which has more food banks than McDonalds. Yes,I am sure everyone could have bought 10000 of AMD shares are a few dollars a pop,and made over 20 times that amount. Or bought a property when it was "only" £100000,and it might have gone up 3X in 20 years. But again you need that capitol and the ability to SIT ON IT.

People who CAN SIT ON IT,are well off people. This is why the rich are getting richer because they can hedge their bets for as long as possible.

It proves the point I was making - the well off and the children of well off people can get into doing these sorts of things. Why? Because taking a risk means they are not going to be on the street. Money makes even more money.

Yes,a poor person can become a billionaire but again only because they are either very intelligent and can educate themselves upwards,and are willing to take risks. Having stable family which are willing to not kick you out at 16,and expect you to pay your own way in life gives you a MASSIVE headstart over many others.

In fact in many countries,the kids have to work from a young age to help support their families.

Most of the world's population is poor,not because they can't see the light. They can see it but can barely earn enough to stop being homeless,or are mired in debt.

Be thankful that you were born into a situation where you had a family who could support you,and gave you a chance to take risks.

Yep, I believe Harold needs to, as the kids say these days, check his privilege.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I understand perfectly because I have sold stuff which has appreciated before

Someone has to lose for some else to get the win, broker takes cut, its a zero sum game, losing gamblers get out quick if they have any sense when most of their trading bank is gone. What about all the people with savings/money in the bank/high interest acc etc, THEY are gambling BIG TIME against people like me who hold hard assets, I'm taking the other side of the bet saying the national currency will lose buying power.

Looks like you misread what I've been writing, I was NOT telling anyone to do the buy and hold hard assets trading strategy, its only for PRO TRADERS who know what they are doing and have already made a lot of capital. You can't just get a big loan from the bank and slap it on hard assets, likely you'll get taken to the cleaners after some time. I did it because I was a PRO TRADER at the time and wanted to pack in day trades, BUT could have made just as much without going into hard assets.

What I recommend new traders do is watch the charts, read the news, data on their selected markets and make a call which way the market will go, this info is all free on the net, after a few months if you are consistent start small with say £200 or £300. People waste so many hours on youtube/facebook etc, an hour or two spent on the trading per week could easily be done. £200 or £300 is not much when people spend on all sorts like fashionable clothes, hair styles, make up etc and hardly any risk.

What does this have to do with staying with my parents? Even if I was pushed out and stayed in a bedsit/small flat with a full time job to pay all the bills, I still WOULD HAVE learned how to trade in my spare time, and started off small with £200 or £300. You really think £300 is a risk I took? then start with £50 or £100. Trading is like any other professional sport, Steve Davis must have put in the hours, how could his (assumed) wealthy parents turn him into a top star player? Steve or his parents paid for the table, that's the only risk he took.

People far below the breadline who don't have say a net connection or starting money can't be helped. We have too many now, there is not enough cheap crude to support 8 billion people. Crude oil is our jobs/food/finance system.
Hope that explanation makes sense. :cool:

Soldato
GPUs are consumables over a few years, I don't see then being recycled, they go in the trash when broken.
I'm saying there is ONE root cause making the prices jump, and its same cause for GPU's and food etc. Does that make sense?

Oh I didn't realise that petrol and food was scalped due to mining. Hopefully the price of food and petrol will come down after June when ETH 2.0 releases.

Soldato
GPUs are consumables over a few years, I don't see then being recycled, they go in the trash when broken.
I'm saying there is ONE root cause making the prices jump, and its same cause for GPU's and food etc. Does that make sense?

Well, if you want to go with that argument then given enough time, everything is "consumable" :rolleyes:

Also, if you're throwing your old GPUs in the trash bin after a few years, have a word with yourself, because A) They should still be working and if so are almost certainly still useful so sell/donate them to someone who can use them. B) They shouldn't be thrown in the trash bin anyway - they can and should be recycled.

While in essence you're correct - there is only ever ONE root cause for why prices increase of anything: Demand > Supply. You seem to be ignoring the fact that the reasons for those varying levels of supply & demand are VERY different when comparing food, petrol and GPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
Someone has to lose for some else to get the win, broker takes cut, its a zero sum game, losing gamblers get out quick if they have any sense when most of their trading bank is gone. What about all the people with savings/money in the bank/high interest acc etc, THEY are gambling BIG TIME against people like me who hold hard assets, I'm taking the other side of the bet saying the national currency will lose buying power.

Looks like you misread what I've been writing, I was NOT telling anyone to do the buy and hold hard assets trading strategy, its only for PRO TRADERS who know what they are doing and have already made a lot of capital. You can't just get a big loan from the bank and slap it on hard assets, likely you'll get taken to the cleaners after some time. I did it because I was a PRO TRADER at the time and wanted to pack in day trades, BUT could have made just as much without going into hard assets.

What I recommend new traders do is watch the charts, read the news, data on their selected markets and make a call which way the market will go, this info is all free on the net, after a few months if you are consistent start small with say £200 or £300. People waste so many hours on youtube/facebook etc, an hour or two spent on the trading per week could easily be done. £200 or £300 is not much when people spend on all sorts like fashionable clothes, hair styles, make up etc and hardly any risk.

What does this have to do with staying with my parents? Even if I was pushed out and stayed in a bedsit/small flat with a full time job to pay all the bills, I still WOULD HAVE learned how to trade in my spare time, and started off small with £200 or £300. You really think £300 is a risk I took? then start with £50 or £100. Trading is like any other professional sport, Steve Davis must have put in the hours, how could his (assumed) wealthy parents turn him into a top star player? Steve or his parents paid for the table, that's the only risk he took.

People far below the breadline who don't have say a net connection or starting money can't be helped. We have too many now, there is not enough cheap crude to support 8 billion people. Crude oil is our jobs/food/finance system.
Hope that explanation makes sense. :cool:

I'd hate to be cornered by you in the pub Harold :cool:

Associate
I am going to quote what I said before. It seems I was proven right. The OP comes from a wealthy family so had the bank of mum and dad to support them. They had a free roof over their head,food,etc. They didn't have a family so had zero financial commitments.

Hence they could entirely take risks - if they lost all their money with hedges they would still have a roof over their head and be fine. They could sit on their assets,as they had a safety net in their family. The OP is in privileged situation and doesn't realise how lucky they are. If they had been born into a broken home,and had to leave home at 16 with just the clothes off their back then the reality is won't be as easy. Yes you could do it but then if you are off in your hedges you are homeless. It's the same as people who say invest in the stock market in the low times(which the wealthy do),because you sell at the high which is again wealth transference,but again you need to have that wealth to invest.

What the OP is describing is commodity trading - things like metal brokerage,etc. For example Nigel Farage made his wealth from trading in commodities,but again he came from a wealthy family. Even if he failed his family probably could have helped him out.

This proves entirely what I said - those with wealth or families with wealth can do this. Most people live a hand to mouth existence and they need "liquid funds" to pay for things like a new boiler,etc.The ability to "sit" on assets whether being physical(like say antiques or land) or virtual(shares and cryptocoins) means you are rich in fluid cash assets,as the longer you don't touch the investment assets,the larger the return you can make if you are buying at the lowest end. But then you need to enough fluid/other assets to be able to buy during a crash in assets too. You still need flexible assets which again most normal people don't have. A family paying your living costs is an example of such as asset.

I know people who have made those investments into hard assets - all of them had plenty of liquid funds on top or had family who were a safety net,so it wasn't a choice between dumping it into hard assets or finding money to eat food or cloth their children.

There have been instances where myself I would know certain assets if I had bought at that time would have given me a big yield if I waited a few years. The problem is that I didn't have the free assets to invest at that time,and I certainly wasn't going to take a loan out either. Yes,I lost out but hindsite only works out if you can afford it.

Or just being in a position to take advantage of opportunity.

Associate
Yep your right there, I should have explained better.
You have to first cut your teeth in trading and build strong foundations to pro level, as in any sport, Steve Davis (snooker), Ronaldo (football).
This is the learning phase takes about 3-5 years, but I was a bit of a trading freak and after only 1 year was taking on the market pros and handing them their heads, but I really put my back into it the first year.

When I was up a few hundred k after some years I decided to pack in day trading so I could sit back with some long term bets so went into hard assets.
Got first property at auction so I paid even less than real market price, got second property a small terraced place shortly after and bought land and other hard assets around this time and a bit later. Only reason I got the assets was that I spotted an inflation cycle that would last at least a decade or two.
Rented out both so the rent money was good profits too. Everyone knows what rents are like now, crazy, crazy!

Had ideas of moving into the larger detached property with my own family later on which did happen.
Its the getting to pro level that makes the starting few hundred k then spotting the inflation cycle in its early days.
The practise is not hard work BUT you got to put in the hours every week and not be lazy, trading is FREE to practise on the net, free charts, free news reports, free historical data etc, you have all the same tools as I use on the internet.
Just ask a pro CSGO player or any professional, you gotta learn your trade, Practise, Practice and Practise.

When you've made it you can shout "Nice Little Earner" Del Boy style! ;)

Thanks for the input Harold lloyd :)

Associate
How did this thread turn into a botched version of economics 101? Literally, so many monologues and anecdotes about a subject that is well understood.

In the real world, prices are falling rapidly. You can get a 3070Ti from overclockers today for £750, 3060ti for £620, 660XT for £450. All still above the original MSRP, but falling regardless. You'll see that all the major sellers are having large price drops, "discounting" prices. They're only doing that to start selling the stock that is no longer shifting. Brilliant.

Supply is FINALLY catching up with demand. The same antics are likely to continue for a few years, particularly on new product releases, but here's hoping we don't see a huge uptick in demand again.

OcUK Staff
Agreed and the second hand market has imploded. Can’t sell a 2nd hand (decent) graphics card for anything atm.

I monitor social media and this week have seen plenty of 3070's sold for around £650 second hand, which shocks me considering you can buy a brand new 3070Ti for £750. So though the values are down I feel £650 is still strong money for a second hand 3070, even £550 would be decent, I've never known a market where second hand items fetch close to current new price, second hand GPU's would always typically be around half price of new and I am not seeing any 3070's for as low as £350-400.

Associate
Agreed and the second hand market has imploded. Can’t sell a 2nd hand (decent) graphics card for anything atm.

Really? Every single card on my watch list on "The Bay" has sold no problem. Mind you, they have sold at prices which are lower than they have been for the past few months. They are still at what I would consider "highly overpriced", mind.

I find it hard to believe that a "decent" card won't sell for "anything". Maybe you need to check out recent sold prices and reassess your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom