• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why GPU prices are NOT likely to drop significantly EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
50+ 6800xt in stock here, priced between £1050 and £1300

50+ 3060ti in stock here, priced between £630 and £750

Thats just 2 cards im looking at, presumably there is 50+ for mutliple other cards as well, so whats the deal with the prices still being double what they should be? Crypto is tanking as expected, stock is piling up as expected. When are the sellers going to relent a bit?

Would like to know what their markup is before I can justify paying over the odds.

OCUK will lower their prices when their suppliers lower their prices.

Prices on some cards are coming down. The 6600 is only 33% above MSRP and the used price is only 17% above MSRP.

OcUK Staff
50+ 6800xt in stock here, priced between £1050 and £1300

50+ 3060ti in stock here, priced between £630 and £750

Thats just 2 cards im looking at, presumably there is 50+ for mutliple other cards as well, so whats the deal with the prices still being double what they should be? Crypto is tanking as expected, stock is piling up as expected. When are the sellers going to relent a bit?

Would like to know what their markup is before I can justify paying over the odds.

Our markup on the above cards varies between 5-16%.
Any big price drop is basically waiting on the board partners to do a big price drop and whether they can or willing is unknown but I do personally feel they can definitely drop the prices as some other SKU's such as 3070Ti have dropped quite a bit.

We have 3070Ti from £749 inc VAT which is around the cheapest in UK, unfortunately its still way beyond MSRP and I feel MSRP will be a long time off if ever happening as the MSRP is also set for basic Founder / Reference models, whereas board partners like to push OC models due simply because they make higher profits on such models.

Soldato
Does OCUK pay up front, or only after the sale?
Upfront I would imagine (based on the company I used to work for who had to buy computer gear in bulk from the far east). I suspect though what would happen if the floor dropped out and the price collapsed and OCUK were stuck with a load of cards they paid top dollar for AIB's would offer up some credit on re-orders that way the retailers don't lose out.

OcUK Staff
Upfront I would imagine (based on the company I used to work for who had to buy computer gear in bulk from the far east). I suspect though what would happen if the floor dropped out and the price collapsed and OCUK were stuck with a load of cards they paid top dollar for AIB's would offer up some credit on re-orders that way the retailers don't lose out.

That is what we would expect, not always that simple though sometimes it can become quite a battle, sometimes it goes smoothly and sometimes I have to threaten to not buy any more of their product until they resolve it, thankfully as stocks are quite minimal so we have very little risk as all GPU purchase orders are allocation only, I still cannot order what I want to order yet and just have to buy what I am told I can buy.

Caporegime
Funny how we hear about the arse falling out of crypto and suddenly cards everywhere, yet still overpriced. Can't recall the last time i seen that many brands of 3080ti in at one time.

Soldato
still overpriced as folk are still buying them, price only will fall if no buyers, they falling slowly which suggests there are buyers but not as many as the crypto boom, obviously supply has picked up which helps as well

Soldato
Funny how we hear about the arse falling out of crypto and suddenly cards everywhere, yet still overpriced. Can't recall the last time i seen that many brands of 3080ti in at one time.
You have to remember that even with the recent falls crypto mining is still more profitable than it was before the latest boom so until it reduces further then miners will carry on mining rather than offloading their hardware.

Soldato
Don't worry we can invest all our money into speculative Ponzi schemes,which work out great when they are on the upswing,but when they collapse you get wiped out.

Most of the wealthy in the world,put everything into tangible items such as land,etc for a good reason but we all know that. The sad thing is most normal people really can't hedge as well,because they don't have "free" money which can they can put into high return investments which are generally more risky,or need a few months or probably years to mature. They need the extra money to use right now,or need to save up to buy a new boiler,car,etc they might actually need to have a normal functioning life. Plus the issue is the more volatile the investment the greater the return,but also the greater loss. Basically the old adage....only invest what you can lose still stays true.

That is the issue with all these Nostradamus type predictions - as usual its those who are wealthy,or have very little outgoings/family commitments who can actually benefit from these hedges. Hence for most people it makes no difference either way. Its like telling someone if they buy rice in 40kg bulk bags it would be cheaper,but they can barely afford 1KG packs of rice at anyone time. Or buy a £1000 dGPU and mine some cryptocoin and you will make £1000s more. Not great if you don't have that sort of spare money for a PC,or are not willing to take a loan as a hedge to do so.

The ones with more disposable income always end being better off either way. Being relatively wealthier saves you money. Being poorer means you get poorer more and more,and that is the VAST majority of the world's population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59565690

This is why the top few percent of the world's richest people are gaining more and more of a percentage of the planet's economic wealth despite our global economy growing. That is with an increasing world population too. You do the maths - it only means us plebs on average are getting less and less! :(

This is why people need to stop defending all these companies jacking up pricing. Their workers are not benefiting it appears,but the top few are.

I am going to quote what I said before. It seems I was proven right. The OP comes from a wealthy family so had the bank of mum and dad to support them. They had a free roof over their head,food,etc. They didn't have a family so had zero financial commitments.

Hence they could entirely take risks - if they lost all their money with hedges they would still have a roof over their head and be fine. They could sit on their assets,as they had a safety net in their family. The OP is in privileged situation and doesn't realise how lucky they are. If they had been born into a broken home,and had to leave home at 16 with just the clothes off their back then the reality is won't be as easy. Yes you could do it but then if you are off in your hedges you are homeless. It's the same as people who say invest in the stock market in the low times(which the wealthy do),because you sell at the high which is again wealth transference,but again you need to have that wealth to invest.

What the OP is describing is commodity trading - things like metal brokerage,etc. For example Nigel Farage made his wealth from trading in commodities,but again he came from a wealthy family. Even if he failed his family probably could have helped him out.

This proves entirely what I said - those with wealth or families with wealth can do this. Most people live a hand to mouth existence and they need "liquid funds" to pay for things like a new boiler,etc.The ability to "sit" on assets whether being physical(like say antiques or land) or virtual(shares and cryptocoins) means you are rich in fluid cash assets,as the longer you don't touch the investment assets,the larger the return you can make if you are buying at the lowest end. But then you need to enough fluid/other assets to be able to buy during a crash in assets too. You still need flexible assets which again most normal people don't have. A family paying your living costs is an example of such as asset.

I know people who have made those investments into hard assets - all of them had plenty of liquid funds on top or had family who were a safety net,so it wasn't a choice between dumping it into hard assets or finding money to eat food or cloth their children.

There have been instances where myself I would know certain assets if I had bought at that time would have given me a big yield if I waited a few years. The problem is that I didn't have the free assets to invest at that time,and I certainly wasn't going to take a loan out either. Yes,I lost out but hindsite only works out if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am going to quote what I said before. It seems I was proven right.

How many people have children at about age 20?
You don't need wealth you can practise for say 1 hour a few times a week in the evenings after your day job, its FREE to practice.

You seem to be misunderstanding, hard assets, land, property came later when I was up a few hundred k and I decided to pack in the day trading.
I had a big bank now made from the initial £300 and a few hundred k could buy a lot of hard assets in those days but not now.
Like I said it costs nothing to practise, its the skills that get you the profits not a big loan from parents or bank.

If someone gave me a few hundred today I know I could turn it into 50k or whatever in some time, its the skills that pay your bills, just ask Steve Davis (snooker)!

Associate
OP
It's the sitting for years that gets the profits,

Yep your right there, I should have explained better.
You have to first cut your teeth in trading and build strong foundations to pro level, as in any sport, Steve Davis (snooker), Ronaldo (football).
This is the learning phase takes about 3-5 years, but I was a bit of a trading freak and after only 1 year was taking on the market pros and handing them their heads, but I really put my back into it the first year.

When I was up a few hundred k after some years I decided to pack in day trading so I could sit back with some long term bets so went into hard assets.
Got first property at auction so I paid even less than real market price, got second property a small terraced place shortly after and bought land and other hard assets around this time and a bit later. Only reason I got the assets was that I spotted an inflation cycle that would last at least a decade or two.
Rented out both so the rent money was good profits too. Everyone knows what rents are like now, crazy, crazy!

Had ideas of moving into the larger detached property with my own family later on which did happen.
Its the getting to pro level that makes the starting few hundred k then spotting the inflation cycle in its early days.
The practise is not hard work BUT you got to put in the hours every week and not be lazy, trading is FREE to practise on the net, free charts, free news reports, free historical data etc, you have all the same tools as I use on the internet.
Just ask a pro CSGO player or any professional, you gotta learn your trade, Practise, Practice and Practise.

When you've made it you can shout "Nice Little Earner" Del Boy style! ;)

Associate
You don't need wealth you can practise for say 1 hour a few times a week in the evenings after your day job, its FREE to practice.
You seem to be misunderstanding, hard assets

You're correct, I have practiced with my hard asset almost religiously since my early teens, cost me nothing bar a few dirty socks and towels.

Soldato

You seem to be misunderstanding, hard assets, land, property came later when I was up a few hundred k and I decided to pack in the day trading.
I had a big bank now made from the initial £300 and a few hundred k could buy a lot of hard assets in those days but not now.
Like I said it costs nothing to practise, its the skills that get you the profits not a big loan from parents or bank.

If someone gave me a few hundred today I know I could turn it into 50k or whatever in some time, its the skills that pay your bills, just ask Steve Davis (snooker)!

I understand perfectly because I have sold stuff which has appreciated before(not computers),but again so what?? You need to still invest enough to make it worthwhile which means you need the money to buy sufficient quantities. Also if you are referring to gambling what about all the people who are loosing massive amounts to gambling?

Using your logic maybe you should just buy lottery tickets,because Steve down the pub bought £1000 worth of them and they won the Euromillions?

Lots of people don't have the bank of mum and dad,to support them at 20. You basically were supported by your parents with a free roof over your head,etc. Plenty of people leave home at 16 and have to support themselves - they don't have "free" money and "can't" practice. You don't see to understand how many people live a hand to mouth existence in this country. People "can't" sit on assets. If you can "sit" on assets you are well off. The fact that you can't understand this means you were only surrounded by well off people.

They can't sit on them on whether they are hard assets or virtual assets like shares. I know people who invest into hard assets like you are saying - they all came from well off situations or their parents could assist them. They could afford to sit on assets because they had enough free cash to run their own lives.

What you are trying to preach isn't something special. It's no different than people who bought property during economic downturns. They did so either because they had the free assets to do so,or were risk takers and took massive debt onboard.

This is a country which has more food banks than McDonalds. Yes,I am sure everyone could have bought 10000 of AMD shares are a few dollars a pop,and made over 20 times that amount. Or bought a property when it was "only" £100000,and it might have gone up 3X in 20 years. But again you need that capitol and the ability to SIT ON IT.

People who CAN SIT ON IT,are well off people. This is why the rich are getting richer because they can hedge their bets for as long as possible.

It proves the point I was making - the well off and the children of well off people can get into doing these sorts of things. Why? Because taking a risk means they are not going to be on the street. Money makes even more money.

Yes,a poor person can become a billionaire but again only because they are either very intelligent and can educate themselves upwards,and are willing to take risks. Having stable family which are willing to not kick you out at 16,and expect you to pay your own way in life gives you a MASSIVE headstart over many others.

In fact in many countries,the kids have to work from a young age to help support their families.

Most of the world's population is poor,not because they can't see the light. They can see it but can barely earn enough to stop being homeless,or are mired in debt.

Be thankful that you were born into a situation where you had a family who could support you,and gave you a chance to take risks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom