Why I have gone back to Windows 7

Associate
Well folks,
I have looked around many times whats the best O/S for gaming etc, but now that after spending some three weeks restoring my PC to how I want it after the Windows 1809 patch wiped out all of my game saves etc due to the 1809 patch issue as per https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/08/microsoft_windows_10_pulled/

With the stupid Cortana, "diagnostics", adverts, games installed I am going back to Windows 7, over which I know I can use everything I want to and not worry about Canda Crush Saga reinstalling itself every ten minutes.

I ONLY want what I install on it, NOT want MS want me to put on.

I cannot see a reason now to stay with Windows 10, not until they have had a year or of good updates...

... and yesterday was the last straw with the activation issue, I formatted my machine and installed Windows 7

Am I mad let me know your thoughts below -

Soldato
Use whatever works. if that's 7 then so be it :)

The activation issue has already been fixed i believe? regardless, very easy to see why people are getting fed up with constant niggly problems. I mean, your documents should be backed up - that's common good practice - but windows still shouldn't be deleting them. Annoying and it wears consumers down. I cant blame anybody for not wanting to continue with windows 10, despite my own relatively problem-free experience with 10 on multiple machines. Too many people are having too many stupid problems that just shouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lesson from this one is don't be a seeker and go looking for the update on release day. Wait until MS have beta tested the Windows on consumers for at least 6 months...

I'm running Pro with feature updates deferred a year, monthly patches 60 days. Someone else can get the bugs out.

Associate
OP
I am going to go back to Windows 10 at some point, BUT only after it has had at least six months of no major mess ups, for me as a parent having a Windows 10 machine always updating, causing problems isn't good with a) kids having to do homework and b) my Elite Dangerous gaming time!

Soldato
I am going to go back to Windows 10 at some point, BUT only after it has had at least six months of no major mess ups
Why don't you just use Windows 10 Pro? Then you can set it to business ready updates instead of home ready updates and you won't get updates until they have been out six months or more and proven rock stable.

Associate
OP
well basically because it went Home version last night - asking for activation again, something I know that has been sorted but as I have mentioned I just want a system that I can use not one I have to pray will work prior to turning it on.
Windows 10 Pro also won't allow me to run a bit of hardware under a certain drive, any updates only provide a newer driver which doesn't work with the hard as I need it to

Soldato
You can go back, but Windows 7 has about 14 months left of support, and Microsoft and the big hardware vendors have been herding users to Windows 10 by not offering drivers for Windows 7/8 on new hardware. I only went Windows 10 as the motherboard chipset doesn't fully work under Windows 7...

I'd suggest dual booting into 7 for those things that need it and use a 10 Pro license for everything else so you can defer the updates by 6 months.

Associate
OP
That's true, but my concerns are further enhanced by the issues of the activation problem yesterday, having Updates paused wouldn't have prevented that issue would it (Genuine question)

I may try a clean install over the weekend.

Man of Honour
Why don't you just use Windows 10 Pro? Then you can set it to business ready updates instead of home ready updates and you won't get updates until they have been out six months or more and proven rock stable.

Even that isn't a guarantee with 10 - there have been several instances of MS pushing updates to business setups (or trying to) ignoring people's policy settings because they think they are critical. And and even on the longer update cycles some cases it has just deferred issues that haven't been sorted.

Any machine I actually want to use is firmly on Windows 7 - it isn't that it is a more problem free OS as such it just gives me more ability to manage the issues and run a known good environment largely free of any unwelcome surprises. Sadly some of my newer setups only have driver support for Windows 10.

That's true, but my concerns are further enhanced by the issues of the activation problem yesterday, having Updates paused wouldn't have prevented that issue would it (Genuine question)

The activation issue isn't related to Windows update and even happened to 7 many years ago - but it is a good example of why the update approach and generally taking more control away from the end user, even with some good intentions, in Windows 10 is ultimately retarded - issues do happen that can be inconvenient through to show stopping people need to be able to manage them properly if required.

Soldato

Updates and activation are two separate things to the client.

Nothing like a good panic. The activation issue didn't brick the machine. ;)

Man of Honour
Well folks,
I have looked around many times whats the best O/S for gaming etc, but now that after spending some three weeks restoring my PC to how I want it after the Windows 1809 patch wiped out all of my game saves etc due to the 1809 patch issue as per https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/08/microsoft_windows_10_pulled/

With the stupid Cortana, "diagnostics", adverts, games installed I am going back to Windows 7, over which I know I can use everything I want to and not worry about Canda Crush Saga reinstalling itself every ten minutes.

You can disable/uninstall these..

btw the fresh start feature that came with the creators edition will allow you to create a windows install without the bloat. Load your drivers then create an image for later reinstalls.

... and yesterday was the last straw with the activation issue, I formatted my machine and installed Windows 7

Am I mad let me know your thoughts below -

tbh , I've had activation with all versions of windows.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not in my opinion hah - at the end of the day the OS should enable the end user and be as reliable and convenient as possible something Windows 10 falls down on significantly.

I've spent so much time recently trying to fix people's machines due to recurring issues with the start menu or explorer becoming unresponsive or the OS just booting to a blank screen with the mouse pointer and ability to open task manager via alt-ctrl-delete and nothing else its crazy. Another common one is the anti-malware service becoming incredibly busy in the background indefinitely causing the machine to perform poorly and never clears up of its own accord (not caused by any malware being present).

Back
Top Bottom