Why I have gone back to Windows 7

Associate
You can only judge by yourself and not others, personally quite happy with 10, had no real issues and everything running fine for me.

Agree. I've been far from the biggest fan of Windows 10 (or indeed, Windows generally, since I was young enough to know what it was) but I would not go back to Win 7 from Win 10. It was good for its time, but times have changed a lot since 2009! I would say there are relatively few benefits but more than a few disadvantages to using Win 7. However, I can understand the hate/frustration, ultimately though, it's the best of a bad bunch.

Soldato
Microsoft flings untested Windows 10 updates to users! (Oh no it doesn't!)
We also release optional updates in the third and fourth weeks of the month, respectively known as “C” and “D” releases. These are validated, production-quality optional releases, primarily for commercial customers and advanced users “seeking” updates. These updates have only non-security fixes.

liked the comment Maybe it's time for a Hard W10exit?

Soldato
You can only judge by yourself and not others, personally quite happy with 10, had no real issues and everything running fine for me.
Same here, I have been using win10 for 3yrs now without major probs and Im using old and new hardware/software with it too.

But going back to win7 now is a tad pointless because the support for it has almost ended. Downgrade to win8.1 or stay with 10.

Man of Honour

Problem here is if you use the check for updates button to try and avoid updates in the immediate future if you are doing something... I don't know how MS can't see (I guess they can and don't care) how obnoxious their update implementation can be.

Same here, I have been using win10 for 3yrs now without major probs and Im using old and new hardware/software with it too.

But going back to win7 now is a tad pointless because the support for it has almost ended. Downgrade to win8.1 or stay with 10.

Problem is Windows 8 isn't a hit with everyone and not without its own problems - I'd much rather use 7 if I can.

Man of Honour
You will when you cant get any updates for it and when software wont work with windows7 anymore.

Hardware is going to be more of an issue as newer stuff won't get the support for Windows 7 and drivers won't be developed :( then software eventually for instance games will start to required 10 - I've not bothered with anything other than critical security patches for 7 in awhile and it isn't going to be Armageddon the moment updates stop.

Dunno what I will do in the long run 10 simply isn't fit for my purposes - I guess I'll go back to playing older games mostly maybe dual boot 10 for newer games if I really have to. I won't be going to 10 as a main desktop any time soon unless it fundamentally changes as it isn't even an option for my use on my main desktop - hopefully by the time it comes to it MS will have pulled their head out their rear and started making it into the OS it has the potential to be and fixes some of the obnoxiousness in implementation of some features like the style of updates and the way the app store works especially when it tries to stick shortcuts to or default apps on without consent.

Soldato
Well as you know I have hated win10 ever since I tried windows8 as win10 isnt much of a improvement, but despite this I have learnt to live with it. I have got it looking like windows 7 as much as poss, disabled the annoying automatic updates and to be honest if all your hardware runs with it fine, its trouble free and nice stable OS and I just pretend the app store its not there, as it doesn't hassle me with updates/messeges or anything. But I still hate it all the same..hehe

2ynqge1.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
and I just pretend the app store its not there, as it doesn't hassle me with updates/messeges or anything. But I still hate it all the same..hehe

I've had a number of instances where post an update it has either got itself stuck in a loop trying to download/update programs (apps) that I don't even have installed and either have never installed or uninstalled a long time ago or Windows has decided to add app store related items to the start menu without consent in some cases resulting in it altering the layout of how I have it setup for my usage or even resetting how I have it setup.

I actually quite like how you have it setup in your screen shot - it is quite close to how I have 7 setup but my 7 setup is still a little easier on the eyes IMO and just looks a little more polished especially the aero glass style transparency on the task bar is nicer IMO.

litgDeM.png

Soldato
I havent had any probs like you have described, but I did start with win10 a few yrs after launch, maybe they had fixed the issues you have had with win10?

I spent quite a few days after I had installed win10 to get it looking as near to win7 as I could, but I gave up on the glass transparency for the window borders, but managed to change the interactive/active borders from the ugly white to grey colours to match the desktop as you can see from "waterfox". My taskbar and start menu is transparent but its blurry not glass(that option is in "classic shell" I think)

But it has been a real ballache to get it setup this way, but luckily nothing has changed back to how it was before I changed things a few yrs ago. Also I have just upgraded my pc and couldn't be bothered todo a clean install of win10, but its running perfectly with the original install.

Man of Honour
I havent had any probs like you have described, but I did start with win10 a few yrs after launch, maybe they had fixed the issues you have had with win10?

Nah it is just quite random and as always and one of the frustrating things with 10 not everyone has the same experience.

Soldato
You will when you cant get any updates for it and when software wont work with windows7 anymore.

I'd say a year is still plenty at this point to see if Microsoft do ever get their act together (hint: they won't and i'd bet everything I own on it).

Of course, if people would just start learning Linux properly we could actually move the world to a decent open source future and Microsoft can stick to doing what they actually want to do - selling overpriced consoles.

Back
Top Bottom