Why I haven't been on the forums (for quite some time)

Associate
Two things immediately jump at me:

The buttons over the hero image and the lower section of the front page (intro, 3 columns, footer nav) feel inconsistent with the upper half of the page (primary nav, hero image) - it looks like a free template that's been hastily edited.

Product images on the browse pages are low-quality. Having every image watermarked also makes it feel a bit "off". On the full product pages I'm not sure if it's image compression or some kind of fake blur that's been added but they don't look enticing (a clean white background/better lighting might help here?).

At first look, I would classify the shop as "looks a bit dodgy, but might be okay". I would probably only order from it if I was getting a significantly better deal and could pay by a trusted payment processor (eg. PayPal). These are the sorts of issues that can be overcome by word-of-mouth recommendations in the short term, and working on the root cause of the problems in the long term maybe once it's picked up a bit.

Soldato
Not a fan of the homepage really. The coloured buttons in the centre of the page seem a bit redundant now that you have the links at the top. Every website I go to buy something from its either straight to the search bar or to the top links (like on the OCUK site).

On the Brands page when you click into it, it only shows # and 3 Guys. There doesn't really seem to be enough brands to justify having them on individual pages for the letter. Imo having them on the same page and maybe header the letters would look better. Less clicks anyway.

Soldato
Homepage is even worse now.

I think it's quite good...just remove the 9 differently-coloured buttons scattered all over it.

I think it needs more information about who you are, how long you've been established etc. It will "fill out" the white mid-section a bit more too.
"Here at Lens Hour we understand that value and quality are important to our customers. If you’re looking for designer sunglasses, eyewear and related accessories at an affordable price, you’re in the right place.

Read more at: https://lenshour.com/?v=79cba1185463"

Doesn't really cut it to me? Also "Read more at: https://lenshour.com/?v=79cba1185463" that doesn't display on the page but I can copy and paste it? :confused:

Associate
OP
I think it's quite good...just remove the 9 differently-coloured buttons scattered all over it.

I think it needs more information about who you are, how long you've been established etc. It will "fill out" the white mid-section a bit more too.
"Here at Lens Hour we understand that value and quality are important to our customers. If you’re looking for designer sunglasses, eyewear and related accessories at an affordable price, you’re in the right place.

Read more at: https://lenshour.com/?v=79cba1185463"

Doesn't really cut it to me? Also "Read more at: https://lenshour.com/?v=79cba1185463" that doesn't display on the page but I can copy and paste it? :confused:

That's just a little code trick I use to scare people . LOL just kidding, actually it helps getting a reference to the material and builds a few links and traffic when people post on forums ;)

The ?v=79cba1185463 string is specific to the country the user is based in so the currency switcher works.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The main problem I see is that I would, never, ever, ever, ever buy a pair of glasses or sunglasses without trying them on first and asking at least one other person what they thought. I don't know anyone else who would either.

I always buy my glasses online - from directsight.co.uk or http://www.speckyfoureyes.com/ depending on who has offer codes running at the time.

Soldato
My thoughts below. Generally I think the site looks too busy and inconsistent, but all this stuff is easy to fix.

* Ditch the landing page! There's a reason why Amazon doesn't have a landing page - you want to put products in front of your consumer straight away.

* If you do keep the landing page, get rid of the nine coloured icons. They look awful because they're all different sizes; they're in no discernible order, which is confusing; and they're not even necessary, because they just duplicate options which are already available in the header.

* At the top of the page, get rid of (a) the grey horizontal bar, and (b) the nav animation which kicks in when you scroll down. They're distracting and gimmicky, as well as bad for usability.

* On the category pages, the line spacing in the sidebar is out:
j80RUX3.png
This looks like 'Alexander' and 'McQueen' are two different brands. You need more spacing between items (but not between multiple lines of the same item).

* When you have new pictures taken, don't watermark them.

* On the product pages, get rid of the 'share this product' section (or at least make it less prominent). Users come to buy stuff, not to promote your site!

* Get rid of this (it looks like a dodgy Wordpress template):
r8VWyDj.png

* Remove each and every reference to Bitcoin. It looks scammy/amateurish, and nobody buys glasses with Bitcoin anyway.

* The cookie law script is broken - the pop-up doesn't go away when I click 'accept', and the 'more information' link doesn't work either.

Associate
OP
Ok so

1) Fixed CSS issue with recently viewed by others plugin
2) Unstuck header menu
3) Change cookie law plugin
4) Spaced brands
5) Deleted Bitcoin payment method

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why insist on having buttons get in he way of the picture? 9 to 3 was a good start but move them to the left or something.

I was messing around with the homepage all morning, and adding products makes it look aweful. The next option I need to try is adding an image slider with call to action for each category.

So it should go something like

Slider Image 1> 1 General Category
Slider Image 2> 2 General Category
Slider Image 3> 3 General Category

Associate
Those new images beside the sunglasses, eyeglasses and contact lenses products feel far too big and distracting. The way they jump out at you when you scroll down is also annoying.

Associate
OP
Those new images beside the sunglasses, eyeglasses and contact lenses products feel far too big and distracting. The way they jump out at you when you scroll down is also annoying.

Placeholder as usual, I can't seem to find the right layout for the homepage so I decided to leave it as is and work on more productive things.

Soldato
Placeholder as usual, I can't seem to find the right layout for the homepage so I decided to leave it as is and work on more productive things.

When are you expecting the new thumbnail images without the watermark?

IMO that is ruining the feel of the site currently.

Associate
OP
When are you expecting the new thumbnail images without the watermark?

IMO that is ruining the feel of the site currently.

We have talked a little with my business partners they think the images can suffice for now.

We already have around 200 pairs photographed but I think just continueing like this will destroy our credibility in the future.

I personal feel doing something like Zappos or Asos does with clothes. Not sure how this will work out for the eyewear niche.

Model+glasses plain white backround.

Have to say I think it looks a lot better now. I like it!

Thanks, better than nothing I suppose :)

Last edited:
Associate
For what it's worth. When I go to the homepage, I'm drawn to these huge ellipse images and I don't even bother looking at anything else.

Back
Top Bottom