Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Yes but like i said what's being reported at one moment in time is not necessarily what's being used, as demonstrated with TM showing 22 child processes with 2 windows and 4 tabs.
If an extension was causing it then it (extensions container) would listed at the top of the Firefox internal usage screenshots posted, but as it doesn't even show in the screenshot view, as it's all the way at the bottom, to me that demonstrates that it's nothing to do with extensions. The extensions I use are not anything that use any meaningful amount of resources anyway so I already knew they were fine before checking the internal reporting.

As for manually releasing memory button, here's before pressing it:
Hvrwjav.png

And after:
3WpJ6zi.png

So a release of about 950MB of memory, which is basically nothing :p

Edit* I am also sure that during the release of Windows 11, various articles and materials stated that Windows 11 has an improved memory management system that learns usage behaviour and pre-loads most used apps in memory so that they load quicker/perform better. That's where I got that from. I did try finding some sources but there is far too much clutter about general Windows 11 performance to sift through so I just gave up as it's not worth more than a 2 minute check really.

Last edited:
Nothing in relation to before clicking the button. 950MB memory being released is nothing on a modern system, whether released or not, makes zero difference to anything other than a number report on a screen.

Like I said lots of times already, there is no issue. I was purely observing resource use with one particular webpage full of media and thought it would be interesting to see what others see on their installs viewing the same page.

Last edited:
Oh right, you kind of lost me when you started posting and talking about resource usage you were getting on sites that were not that one particular webpage full of media.

Comparing resource usage across different use cases *isn't really going to tell you much, at least not at the high level you're looking at it from, you'd need everyone to use the dev tools to take a memory snapshot.

*For the reasons I've already given and because of other reasons like what Windows GC has been doing, how much memory someone has, what other processes are doing/they have loaded, etc, etc.

What you're essentially doing is the equivalent of asking people to post what FPS they're getting in a game despite not knowing anything about their setup because it's interesting, but without knowing the details it's not really interesting IMO as without context they're just numbers.

Windows doesn't 'learn' usage behaviour, programs makes requests and Windows tries to do what the program asks, if a program asks to reserve 1GB of virtual memory Windows attempts to do that, if a program releases that reserved memory Windows does it.

Though it doesn't directly affect application memory allocation SysMain and other Windows components will profile apps and file usage and cache or pre-load data, etc.

Though it doesn't directly affect application memory allocation SysMain and other Windows components will profile apps and file usage and cache or pre-load data, etc.
Yea, apologises as i majorly oversimplified it as i thought getting into prefetch/superfetch or whatever MS call it these days would just confuse an already complex topic even more.

How Windows manages memory is not something that can be easily explained on a forum IMO, simply pointing at X is using Y amount of memory can easily mislead people as demonstrated by the great insight comment.

I think everything has been demonstrated and/or explained quite fairly/clearly though really. My whole point was that whilst I know my own machine's usage patterns, I was just curious if others have similar behaviours and results from the same observation, obviously we've come to realise that this doesn't always result in the same findings because of those very usage patterns resulting in Windows behaving differently with memory resources. Like you said pressing the memory clean button would show what's actually in use/unsused and free that up, but it only cleansed out some 950MB which is nothing.

My machine is on 24/7 and both FF windows are open for that time too, even throughout gaming sessions, so I think my Windows has just become accustomed to using and/or allocating whatever memory it needs based on that usage pattern and leaving it there due to having enough RAM to play with anyway, hence why Firefox/Floorp etc use multiple GBs of memory whilst Edge, a browser I barely open other than to download my work payslips as they only support Edge (!), shows tiny amounts of memory use.

Ultimately what this seems to highlight is that as long as you have enough memory, then it just doesn't matter, and that unused memory is wasted memory, which has been the logical point being made for years around forums anyway.

Last edited:
This dashboard tracks technical issues in major software platforms which disadvantage Firefox relative to the first-party browser. We consider aspects like security, stability, performance, and functionality, and propose changes to create a more level playing field.
Platform Tilt: https://mozilla.github.io/platform-tilt/

It looks like Mozilla have finally noticed their worryingly small global browser market share. But is it too little too late?

Recently switched over from Chrome to Brave with the way Google are trying to block adblockers, I decided it was time for the move. Seems to be a really good browser so far and I haven't encountered any issues with YouTube since moving over. The only issue I do have is that certain extensions seem to upset certain sites, but disabling them temporarily solves this and I can live with that for the time being.

Over The Edge

Mozilla have released the above report which basically accuses Microsoft of ramming Edge down users through "dark patterns".
Thanks for linking that. I just read the whole thing.

It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know but when you see all of those Microsoft dodgy practices in one place like that it's pretty shocking. It reinforced my hatred for them and made me glad I've moved almost completely away from Windows at home.

It works, but you have to press it multiple times...

Oh that is odd - it worked fine first time loading the page, and if I clear cache/cookies but any subsequent time does take multiple clicks.

EDIT: It isn't even that, randomly it works or doesn't work each time the page is loaded.

Last edited:
Oh that is odd - it worked fine first time loading the page, and if I clear cache/cookies but any subsequent time does take multiple clicks.

EDIT: It isn't even that, randomly it works or doesn't work each time the page is loaded.

Yup that's what I found too, after you said it was working for you I tried it again and it was working!

Also go down to the section: related posts. Try clicking the links they don't work first time.

Last edited:
I find T Nation doesn't work correctly in Firefox. Some of their pages have little + boxes that don't open when clicked. (Unless you click a million times)

Try clicking the + here.
I've tried opening that page multiple times and clicking the + in the boxes as you say and they work fine for me.

Hmmmmm

EPGEAdi.png

Obviously the browser side of things not affected, maybe it's just a refocus on the browser and reducing the focus on things people don't use. Awaiting the blog articles...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom