Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Soldato
Hmmmmm

EPGEAdi.png

Obviously the browser side of things not affected, maybe it's just a refocus on the browser and reducing the focus on things people don't use. Awaiting the blog articles...
I never did like the fact Mozilla was trying to branch out and sell us services such as VPNs. I'd be happier if they were diverting more attention to the browser and making more people aware of it.

Soldato
Is anyone else getting weird YouTube issues on FF 123? I updated earlier this evening and couldn't work out why YT videos were showing previews in a smaller box.

Soldato
I did not know until last week quite how low the firefox usage stats are. I admit that different sites will all have varying figures, but not wildly different surely. Oh this was mobile and desktop combined.

ChromeSafariEdgeFirefoxOperaSamsung Internet
64.73%18.56%4.97%3.36%2.86%2.59%

Soldato
I did not know until last week quite how low the firefox usage stats are. I admit that different sites will all have varying figures, but not wildly different surely. Oh this was mobile and desktop combined.

ChromeSafariEdgeFirefoxOperaSamsung Internet
64.73%18.56%4.97%3.36%2.86%2.59%
Edge is more popular than Firefox because Microsoft effectively pushed it in our faces after installing Windows. Way more tactics listed here, but either way Microsoft were quite brazen.

Chrome, I just don't get why more people don't see what Google for what they are - an advertising company. I've never trusted Google with my data, even though I have an Android phone with most/all of the Google tracking potentials turned off. That and their Chrome browser is bundled with some software, helping to trick people into using Chrome.

Firefox aren't perfect. It took them what felt like forever and a day before they released Firefox Quantum in Firefox version 57, which was a welcome improvement in the browser's performance. I do feel that perhaps Mozilla could and should do this again, which might sway a few more users over.

I do also think people are using desktop PCs less and less now. But you can still install and use Firefox on mobile phones, but again it's a question of promotion and getting people to change - most are happy with the default Chrome browser.

Associate
Chrome usage is significantly over-represented due to it being the default on android devices and desktop is overall a much smaller share of browser use than it was.

On my home pc I've been firefox for a long time, but at work it's either Chrome or Edge - a lot of our internal tools simply don't play nicely in firefox . Safari is straight up broken in most of our use cases.

Soldato
I'm having an issue where sometimes doing ctrl+f won't pull up the search bar in Firefox, started happening a week ago

Associate
I just started using Firefox. I like it but the one thing I hate is I can't seem to copy text some times? I don't have this issue on chrome?
I've noticed that too. It can get annoying sometimes. I suspect its got something to do with copyright or something & Firefox are just trying to cover themselves I dunno.

Last edited:
Associate
For the last few days I've been having issues with YouTube in Firefox, videos keep buffering/getting stuck until I refresh the page. Definitely not a bandwidth issue my end as I'm consistently getting 920Mbit+ on speed tests. Anyone else using firefox had similar issues? It could be YouTube's servers but would expect to hear widespread reports of it if that was the case...

Associate
Ok thanks, strange then... it's not doing it consistently, hopefully it just resolves itself. Don't really have any extensions installed so it's not that.

Man of Honour
For the last few days I've been having issues with YouTube in Firefox, videos keep buffering/getting stuck until I refresh the page. Definitely not a bandwidth issue my end as I'm consistently getting 920Mbit+ on speed tests. Anyone else using firefox had similar issues? It could be YouTube's servers but would expect to hear widespread reports of it if that was the case...

It isn't a Firefox issue, but seems to manifest worse in Firefox - I've been intermittently getting the same thing ever since YT went to war against ad-blockers (I'm not blocking ads usually on YT) so I think it is a side effect of that. It doesn't seem to be reported widespread but I've seen a small number of people complaining about it - a bit puzzling.

Here is one of my earlier posts about it:

Am I the only one where YT has gone to **** over the last few months? more often than not I'm getting weird stalls in the player even with good buffer health, weird buffer activity i.e. it will buffer way on ahead then suddenly drop back to 1-2 seconds ahead with the buffer length constantly flicking up and down, times where the video won't play beyond a certain point until I reload the page regardless of how much is buffered, instances where it glitches and just skips ahead ~10 seconds, etc. often reloading the page makes the problems go away on a particular video at least for awhile which suggests it is somewhat related to what server you are getting data from.

It is happening over all my devices and no matter what connection I'm on or whether I'm logged in or using private browsing, etc. etc. the only difference is what browser I use - Chrome tends to just momentarily flash up a corrupt frame and then continue, whereas Firefox has all the issues above and Edge if somewhere in between but usually closer to Chrome in behaviour. Need to remember to ask family if they are experiencing similar and/or if that happens for them when using my connection(s).

Back
Top Bottom