Why YOU think the PC is better for gaming than the 360 and the PS3!

Associate
OP
My 2p...

Reasons the PC is better :
1) Faster, more cutting edge hardware
2) More flexible choices of control methods.

Reasons the consoles are better :
1) Standard hardware. No messing around with drivers and incompatible software.
2) You can sit in the living room after you get in from the pub.

Control systems are the bane of my life. I just wish that it would be recognised that :
1) You can't play an FPS with a joypad properly. Mouse and keyboard/keypad is far better
2) You can't play strategy games on a console using a joypad as there's not enough buttons. Limited resolutions don't help with the interface either.

Thanks mate, that is exactly what i wanted, in terms of explanation.

Soldato
We have got to the stage where a good game can be played on a console. A better version on the PC doesn't seem worth the premium of time/cost on the PC to most people. There are few PC exclusives now beacuse the money is in console games. Many PC versions of console games are half-cocked ports that require a powerful PC to play. Comparing on-paper specs of a console and PC doesn't translate into real terms because the console versions are so well optimised. IMO the PC needs a big move forward in in power to the point where some games are only possible on the PC (remember, cysis is coming out on consoles and none of us know how good it will be yet) and even then it will require the games to back it up. The sad thing is, once PCs really get to the stage that they are much better, a £300 console will be released that will start the whole thing again and probably last for at least 10 years.

I own and like both.

Associate
OP
We have got to the stage where a good game can be played on a console. A better version on the PC doesn't seem worth the premium of time/cost on the PC to most people. There are few PC exclusives now beacuse the money is in console games. Many PC versions of console games are half-cocked ports that require a powerful PC to play. Comparing on-paper specs of a console and PC doesn't translate into real terms because the console versions are so well optimised. IMO the PC needs a big move forward in in power to the point where some games are only possible on the PC (remember, cysis is coming out on consoles and none of us know how good it will be yet) and even then it will require the games to back it up. The sad thing is, once PCs really get to the stage that they are much better, a £300 console will be released that will start the whole thing again and probably last for at least 10 years.

I own and like both.

Cheers :)

Soldato
This thread really is full of idiots.

If you don't like it that he has made another thread on the subject then just don't post on it instead of moaning like little children.

Soldato

I own and like both.

Pretty much bang on the head. Best kit for the job.

For me :
PC : LAN games. COD4, UT3 etc. Strategy games, eg C&C.
360/SP3 : Racing games eg GRID, arcade games like Pro Evo, NHL
Mac : Anything not games, eg Internet, Work, Media.

Devices are tending to blur the traditional lines, eg PS3 does a lot - it's an excellent Blu-Ray player, but I'll still use my Mac to browse the internet.

I am noticing a trend towards the PC getting a slightly raw deal, eg lack of patches and DLC for the same game available on the consoles. Also some games are a terrible port - such as GTA4 - requires a frankly silly spec PC to get close to the experience of a £150 console.

Soldato
Also some games are a terrible port - such as GTA4 - requires a frankly silly spec PC to get close to the experience of a £150 console.

In the same vain as that though, most PC to console ports are terrible too.

Porting between the 2 simply doesnt work very well, which should show how different the 2 worlds are.

And why comparison threads are silly

Soldato
can you tell me at which point was that supposed to be funny, because that is nothing like the sort of question i have asked. I have asked in a kind manner and you have replied in an way which is irrelevant.
It's about where you're asking it ;).

Would you go to the pc forum and ask why they think consoles are better?

Associate
Also some games are a terrible port - such as GTA4 - requires a frankly silly spec PC to get close to the experience of a £150 console.

Heh, the console versions of GTA IV run at 25-27 fps; wouldn't take much of a PC to run the game at such a rate. A Core i7-based rig will crush the console experience, frames per second wise, by more than a 2 - 1 margin, while looking a boatload better to boot.

Does Core i7 constitute "silly spec"? No.

Half the outcry over "poor ports!" seems to be misplaced glee from console gamers who don't realise just how contemptibly poor their own standards are. 25 fps games needing to actually be upscaled in order to hit 1280x720; that's where things are in consoletown right now, which is why my trips there have been very few N' far between as of late.

Soldato
1: Controls, I hate controllers :p. Even for fighting games I prefer my good old qwerty keyboard :). I simply can not play well with just my thumbs, I need to use all my fingers for buttons, 1 or 2 buttons per fingers, not a thumb that controls 4 of em... That's because I'm used to it since 3 years old though and not used at all to a console... Mouse is essential for FPS and RTS imo...

2: Mods, let's be honest, GTA SA for example is many many times better on pc due to M TA and SA: MP... Plus graphics mods, content mods, etcetc... Various games are a completely better ( read as better) game after mods...

3: Upgradability& Graphics: I hate being stuck to the sameish graphics for 5 or more years, need a gfx upgrade more often. Also I like higher than 30 framerates many genres of games, and I like being able to add AA, etc when games lack it...

4: Having 1 system for all: Downloading, Films, Series, Music, games, msn, internet etc... ( A console would not download torrents, would not house 3TB of data, would be a pain to use msn/internet on, afaik it doesn't support more than 1 monitor/screen... A practical pc imo has 2 or more monitors...), you say why it is better for gaming, because it takes less time to fire up a game from steam when you feel like it when browsing or whatever than to turn on a console, find a game, input disc, and play... I have to do something physical rather than 2 clicks on my mouse...

5: I can't play around with my console as much, eg. mess with drivers, hardware to make my system better, I love tweaking& playing around with bios, drivers, overclocking, etc... And a bit of childish ''my pc is better than yours, if not I'll make it better'' syndrome :p.

6: Emulators, a pc is also a PS2, PSX, a N64 or any older Nintendo, etc... Game catalog is simply mahoosive...

Permabanned

1: Controls, Simple, easy to use, games designed well can use a pad perfectly.

2: Mods tbh most of them are pap, only bought a few maps on a console and the only mod I ever played was desert combat for BF 1942 and that was turned into a game so how bad must the original game be.

3: Upgradability& Graphics: This costs money, time and conflicts, again console is just you get what you pay for and games are always getting better and looking better as the console gets older.

4: Having 1 system for all: My console is for games, my PC is for internet etc. keep things separate means both run fine and do thier job time after time.

5: See number 3

6: Emulators, dont have time to be playing games released now and games I have already played, plus old games are best left in the memory bank.

Back
Top Bottom