Wife ripped off by kwikfit

If I had the chance I would have said thanks but no thanks,

£70 nearly pays for a new tyre and if they measured it again they’d get a different answer.

Unless the tyre is obviously wearing unevenly, don’t touch it.

Out of specification, don’t make me laugh, if they want I’ll sign a concession lol.
Your wife had the chance though and she said to do it :confused:

They wouldn't have held a gun to her head, she made the decision to get it done on her car. What you would have said is irrelevant really.

I got a call from the local STS when getting tyres on my wife's car about alignment. I couldn't picture the amount it was out by in my head and whether it was worth doing or not so I told them just to do it. Did I waste £60 on something that wasn't needed? Probably. If I do that every time I get tyres on her car it will be less than £10 a year added to the running costs, so ultimately, who cares.

Your wife had the chance though and she said to do it :confused:

They wouldn't have held a gun to her head, she made the decision to get it done on her car. What you would have said is irrelevant really.

I got a call from the local STS when getting tyres on my wife's car about alignment. I couldn't picture the amount it was out by in my head and whether it was worth doing or not so I told them just to do it. Did I waste £60 on something that wasn't needed? Probably. If I do that every time I get tyres on her car it will be less than £10 a year added to the running costs, so ultimately, who cares.
Exactly I admit I was frustrated and it doesn’t matter.

Yeah I know, I’m in the doghouse for moaning about it now hence the rant on here.

You're in the dog house, not because you are moaning about it, but because you pointed out she was probably robbed. So rather than say sorry and that she will learn from the experience, like any woman, she will double down and put all blame on you :)

I've learned to keep my mouth firmly shut.

Last edited:
I quite like our local Kwik fit. They don’t seem to charge any more than other local garages or the main dealers and can actually get routine work done at your convenience rather than a random Tuesday in 8 weeks time. Also had a free puncture repair and they threw in a “free” aircon regas when I refreshed our brakes recently. To me they do a perfectly reasonable job at routine consumables.

Getting a wheel alignment is a very sensible thing to do when fitting new tyres. I don’t see the issue at all.

My view is it's totally pot luck at these places you may get a seasoned mechanic or if unlucky a spotty teen who will strip your sump plug as national tyres did to my steering rack (I had a discount voucher and had just had wish bones done)
Not sure how much training is required to work at these places

Having a reliable, capable and trust worthy local garage is a huge bonus that not everyone has, I've been going to the same garage for 25 years, I'll be gutted when the owner retires.

This sounds like a thread from someone who wouldn't be happy if they didn't bring it into spec.

12months down the line there would be a "bought tyres, left needs replacing sooner because they didn't check the tracking" outrage ranty post.

</end-thread>

Last edited:
This sounds like a thread from someone who wouldn't be happy if they didn't bring it into spec.

12months down the line there would be a "bought tyres, left needs replacing sooner because they didn't check the tracking" outrage ranty post.

</end-thread>
That's assuming it was out to begin with.

I'm pretty sure you can just fit the equipment slightly off and hey-presto, easy £70.

My view is it's totally pot luck at these places you may get a seasoned mechanic or if unlucky a spotty teen who will strip your sump plug as national tyres did to my steering rack (I had a discount voucher and had just had wish bones done)
Not sure how much training is required to work at these places

99% of these places don't have seasoned mechanics.

Went to have my aircon re-gassed at an F1 Autocentre and he wouldn't re-gas it because the valve was leaky. He wouldn't change the valve because he didn't know the part number even though he had a bunch of them to cross reference. I just bought a pack of universal ones off eBay with a special tool and did it myself then got it topped up somewhere else.

A lot of these kids wouldn't know what customer care was if it slapped them in the face.

I went in today to get my tyres changed, had a weird dirt mark across the bonnet. The health report stated incorrect mileage and tyre tread depths, front and rear wheels supposedly had 3mm of tread. I checked the tread 2 days before - Rears had just over 2mm and fronts 7mm+. :cry:

I refused the geo check and took the fronts with me, thankfully they didn't damage the wheels which were only refurbished last year.

Fronts had plenty of meat left on them, but decided to switch to Non RF tyres and wanted matching 4 tyres.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom