Wii U

Soldato
The Wii U is, reportedly, going to cost £300-400. That's without BluRay, without a well established online network, without any substantial media partners, without much functionality besides core features. It's a very small upgrade on tech with yet another gimmicky control method. It has all the hallmarks of a failure in the making. The only people who can save it are the Nintendo fans and the casual Wii generation who haven't realised how little they use a console.

I doubt Nintendo will sell a console at over £300, The 3DS is going for £160+ and that has a lot of tech in it. I think more around the £220-£280 max mark would be a realistic figure, though I think it will most likely end up being in the middle of that.

Soldato
OP
So you want a console you are buying to struggle and do poorly?

Erm... what an odd person you are :p

I mean, when it comes to the next gen wars. I'd rather it be more of a contest between the three instead of Nintendo just running away with it. Might get Nintendo to start doing more games we want to actually play... instead of shuffleware.

Man of Honour
I mean, when it comes to the next gen wars. I'd rather it be more of a contest between the three instead of Nintendo just running away with it. Might get Nintendo to start doing more games we want to actually play... instead of shuffleware.

Nothing that Nintendo do really interests me, it never has. I'm much more behind Sony and Microsoft (and previously Sega :() on the games front, I prefer epic games over children's games.

This console just looks frankly stupid. If its awesome though I'm willing to be proven wrong, but even Nintendo fanboys must admit that it looks a bit bloody dodgy.

Soldato
Nothing that Nintendo do really interests me, it never has. I'm much more behind Sony and Microsoft (and previously Sega :() on the games front, I prefer epic games over children's games.

This console just looks frankly stupid. If its awesome though I'm willing to be proven wrong, but even Nintendo fanboys must admit that it looks a bit bloody dodgy.

Why does it look dodgy?

It's a very standard method of control. In fact, it's got two very standard methods of control. So many people moaned about motion controls - Nintendo respond (in part) to that with a dual analogue controller that so happens to have a large touch screen in the middle.

I could understand the misgivings if you were expected to by 2 of these controllers, or if they were particularly heavy but neither of those concerns appear present.

Two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, Zelda and Metroid, are what I would call epic. Would you class them as childish?

Man of Honour
Why does it look dodgy?

It's a very standard method of control. In fact, it's got two very standard methods of control. So many people moaned about motion controls - Nintendo respond (in part) to that with a dual analogue controller that so happens to have a large touch screen in the middle.

I could understand the misgivings if you were expected to by 2 of these controllers, or if they were particularly heavy but neither of those concerns appear present.

I'm just not seeing the point of a tablet as a controller. Clearly it's benefits must be limited if you can only use one and a lot of Nintendo stuff is aimed at multiplayer?

Two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, Zelda and Metroid, are what I would call epic. Would you class them as childish?

Interestingly, Zelda never grabbed me like it did everyone else. I'm not saying it isn't a great franchise though, its clearly very popular.

I have Ocarina of Time on my phone and I'll play through it at some point, no doubt.

I wouldn't call either of them mature though really. Epic? Certainly (if you like that sort of thing).

Associate
I kind of assumed that the next logical progression from the Wii would have been some kind of basic home VR console. Using a controller in each hand with motion controls like the Wii already had, all it would need would be a headset with motion sensors built in. I would assume a headset like that wouldn't cost more than the tablet controller they are going to use, so its not as if it would have been massively expensive. Even if the graphics had stayed at Wii level (with some added anti-aliasing) the first home VR console would have flown off the shelves.

Ah well, it shall remain just a pipe dream for the next next generation ;)

Associate
I kind of assumed that the next logical progression from the Wii would have been some kind of basic home VR console. Using a controller in each hand with motion controls like the Wii already had, all it would need would be a headset with motion sensors built in. I would assume a headset like that wouldn't cost more than the tablet controller they are going to use, so its not as if it would have been massively expensive. Even if the graphics had stayed at Wii level (with some added anti-aliasing) the first home VR console would have flown off the shelves.

Ah well, it shall remain just a pipe dream for the next next generation ;)

Nintendo made the Virtual Boy but it flopped bad, It would be interesting to see what they could do with VR with todays tech though

Soldato
I'm just not seeing the point of a tablet as a controller. Clearly it's benefits must be limited if you can only use one and a lot of Nintendo stuff is aimed at multiplayer?

I imagine the controller is past around from game to game.

Interestingly, Zelda never grabbed me like it did everyone else. I'm not saying it isn't a great franchise though, its clearly very popular.

I have Ocarina of Time on my phone and I'll play through it at some point, no doubt.

I wouldn't call either of them mature though really. Epic? Certainly (if you like that sort of thing).

I think if you can't get into them, that's fair enough. Not all games suit everyone. I've never got Half Life.

I don't see a mature theme being a basis of a great game however. I'm more than happy to play a 'childish' game.

Associate
I think people are focussing too much on the new controller, on some games surely you'll use the current controller on a new system in HD so it's like getting a whole new system with new games. I don't know about you guys but I was pretty excited when the PS3 was announced with new games and in HD with a fairly similar controller.

Associate
I'm quite optimistic about how the Wii U is going to do tbh, if Nintendo can get their core franchies out for it in force.

I think this generation people have been sucked in by the 'cinematic experience', which has never really been Nintendo's area. This of course, is where the other two platforms flourished.

Sadly, i could name with my two hands the number of Wii games that I've actually enjoyed. That being said, i've really enjoyed the games i've had on the Wii for the most part.

If the Wii U has a good launch with a solid lineup of titles from core franchises then i can see it doing really well. The Wii had a bad launch imo, in terms of core titles, and i don't think it really recovered. I loved the Gamecube before the Wii, it had a fantastic lineup of games, so i really hope Nintendo can recapture some of that magic.

- Multiple 1st party titles at launch
- A Good price
- Good Online infastructure
- Funky use of the tablet controller, that isn't stupid.

If it has all that i think it will do well.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looks like the friend codes will still exist. Just a bit refined and similar to the 3DS. :(

Was really hoping they would ditch these. They're saying the online will be close to xbox live but I just can't see it.

"If you look at 3DS and the online of that you'll get an understanding of where we're going with Wii U and we're taking that even further.

"The friend code system has also been refined. It still exists but in the same way that you'd need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it's much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-wii-u-3ds-online-closer-to-psn-xbl

Associate
I think people are focussing too much on the new controller, on some games surely you'll use the current controller on a new system in HD so it's like getting a whole new system with new games. I don't know about you guys but I was pretty excited when the PS3 was announced with new games and in HD with a fairly similar controller.

It's so damn big it's hard not to focus on it ;)

And that controller for *any* sort of gaming? I just can't see it.

Soldato
Not an owner of a Nintendo product so I don't know what this friend code thing is. Sounds just like a gamertag though? Is it just a persistent code that you give out just like a gamertag?

You had, IIRC, a code for the system (and one for each game?). It wasn't a particularly short code either, 16 chars or something.

I hope, if they want a friend 'code', it can be something you choose to register like a GT/PSN and it's consistent throughout, not per game. Awful system designed to 'protect'. Just not needed.

Permabanned
Haven't played online for years so they might have changed it.
A friend code is a 16 digit number that you swap and each game had it's own friend code. This was for the wii and DS.

The 3DS doesn't even notify you if someone has added you as a friend.

Last edited:
Associate
Not an owner of a Nintendo product so I don't know what this friend code thing is. Sounds just like a gamertag though? Is it just a persistent code that you give out just like a gamertag?

on the Wii it's a 12 digit code you need to exchange to add some one. There are some games that make it a bit easier iirc.

Man of Honour
Iss
Nope.

It's a common misconception though, and usually subconsious too.

Even though Nintendo like making Mario's, Zelda's etc, they have deviated, not so much on Wii, but DS and prior to that. One notable example is Advance Wars.

Er... advance wars is carbon copy of a NES game called famicom wars.

Back
Top Bottom