Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
What will happen is that before every show, there would be an announcement that anyone step on the stage will be remove from the building.

Or that comedians will get conceal licence for firearm and shoot anyone who step on the stage, using Will Smith as an example for legit reason because people think they are entitled to slap someone because they can't take a joke.

You think that's okay?

Or should people just grow up and take a joke as a joke as intended?
personally I think if you go to a comedy club you are making an unspoken agreement that you accept you may be referred to in jokes.
as I said I am not saying will smith was right to do what he did . but I don't buy the "freedom of speech and anyone having the right to say anything they want" in any circumstances either. (probably wasnt you who said it but someone did). take that to the extreme you could have some really outrageous stuff.

I guess my long winded point is, is that it then, 1 over reaction and his career should be done, all awards stripped ? because that is what some people want.

btw just for the record I have never ever thrown the 1st punch in a fight but contrary to popular belief on here words can hurt. I was incredibly picked on all through school . whilst I never hit anyone I did see red a few times. to stop myself hitting someone I did massage a cheese pasty into a guys hair once.and another time poured a pint of black current on a guy in his posh suit. both probably count as assault but at the time both I feel were fully justified. ;)

regardless of. if you or I found what he said hurtful the person who he made the comments to did and I guess that is what mattered.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Correct again. You are good at this. I think what I'm trying to say is that certain jobs carry a level of risk. Being the funny guy in the room carries the risk of getting a slap.

Unless of course it's just funny jokes that are not at the expense of your audience.

Plus do you really believe that mugging off someone's loved one to their face is doing absolutely nothing wrong?

He hardly mugged her off, he made a super mild comparison...

I mean the person he compared her to is a beautiful actress who shaved her hair for a military role.

She barely has any hair loss, the shaved head look is completely her choice and supposedly liked it, she could have done nothing at this point as it isn't noticeable anyway or she could have worn a wig. Their daughter has also sported a shaved head look too.

If i was Chris Rock i would like to think i would come out publicly and say something similar to this as well...... if i made a joke about the husband or wife of someone about a medical condition (even if in ignorance but i am not sure i believe that tbh) and got slapped for it, i would like to think i would be big enough to say enough is enough now lets move on.

He didn't make a joke about a medical condition, you don't even know if she has a medical condition - alopecia is simply an umbrella term for various types of hair loss, it can be caused by stress or by years of hairstyling or by a very benign autoimmune condition.

I mean people get old, get over it... she's just got an ego issue.

Caporegime
personally I think if you go to a comedy club you are making an unspoken agreement that you accept you may be referred to in jokes.
as I said I am not saying will smith was right to do what he did . but I don't buy the "freedom of speech and anyone having the right to say anything they want" in any circumstances either. (probably wasnt you who said it but someone did). take that to the extreme you could have some really outrageous stuff.

I guess my long winded point is, is that it then, 1 over reaction and his career should be done, all awards stripped ? because that is what some people want.

btw just for the record I have never ever thrown the 1st punch in a fight but contrary to popular belief on here words can hurt. I was incredibly picked on all through school . whilst I never hit anyone I did see red a few times. to stop myself hitting someone I did massage a cheese pasty into a guys hair once.and another time poured a pint of black current on a guy in his posh suit. both probably count as assault but at the time both I feel were fully justified. ;)

I don't buy the "you should be free to say everything you want" either, however, my feelings is irrelevant as this didn't take place in my feelings, it took place in the States where the 1st Amendment is a thing they really like. So I have to use the criteria of where this took place (States) and not apply my own feelings on the matter.

I really don't really care what punishment he gets, what should be clear is that what he has done is wrong, and you cannot assault someone for a joke. Period.

V F

V F

Soldato
He didn't make a joke about a medical condition, you don't even know if she has a medical condition - alopecia is simply an umbrella term for various types of hair loss, it can be caused by stress or by years of hairstyling or by a very benign autoimmune condition.

I mean people get old, get over it... she's just got an ego issue.

Most of the new Hollywood has massive ego issues.

Soldato
Being annoyed by a joke and getting physical are 2 different thing, you seem to unable to grasp the concept that you are offended, doesn't mean you have to hit someone in return.

Instinct? it made it sound like a reflex. He laughed, then had to get up, then walk the 10meters or so, he had a good 5 seconds to think before acting on it.
Not in my world it isnt. Getting annoyed and giving someone a slap is part of the same world, one is just a more extreme version of the other. I completely understand fully what you are saying, im just telling you that you are somewhat naive to this the world works that way.

Saying that, i understand the meaning of the thread title and me talking about human nature doesnt really cover the specifics of the thread.

Soldato
Making excuses for slapping a comic on stage sounds an awful lot like finding an excuse to become unhinged.

Its like people think comics will take a gig on the previsor that "you might get physically assaulted and if you do we probably wont do anything about it".

I dunno maybe people think this situation is no different to one bloke insulting another bloke's wife in the street without provocation but it very clearly is not the same deal. There is some definite naivety in this thread, but it's not coming from Raymond Lin.

Caporegime
My opinion of Will Smith has certainly dropped, looked like a subservient ***** when he stopped laughing after looking at his wife, all people are now talking about is how he lost his temper and not his Oscar lol.

Soldato
Not in my world it isnt.
Indeed, and not under uk law anyway

Section 4A makes it an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting language with the intention of causing someone else harassment, alarm or distress. The offence is only committed if it has that effect.

Under section 4 it is an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting language with the intention of making someone else believe that immediate violence will be used against them or of provoking an immediate violent response. The offence is also committed if the effect of the person's language is that someone else will think that immediate violence will be used against them or a violent response provoked.

The maximum penalty for the offence under section 5 is a fine of £1,000, while someone could be sent to prison for up to six months or be fined up to £5,000 for the offences under sections 4 or 4A

maybe that is just free speech in the usa ?

Soldato
Had it been a threat then sure, but it wasn't.
not insulting in YOUR opinion - read the text ?
it is an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting language with the intention of making someone else believe that immediate violence will be used against them or of provoking an immediate violent response. The offence is also committed if the effect of the person's language is that someone else will think that immediate violence will be used against them or a violent response provoked.

Caporegime
Not in my world it isnt. Getting annoyed and giving someone a slap is part of the same world, one is just a more extreme version of the other. I completely understand fully what you are saying, im just telling you that you are somewhat naive to this the world works that way.

Saying that, i understand the meaning of the thread title and me talking about human nature doesnt really cover the specifics of the thread.

Well, since this didn’t take place in your world, the rules in your world is relevant. It’s important not to part your judgment onto where this took place.

I’m not naive, I fully understand that some people gets upset easily and some are short tempered and you shouldn’t poke at the bear. Like your don’t stick your finger in a tiger cage. But what we are talking about isn’t the grand scheme of things but this isolated incident. If you want to discuss the wider social issues then that’s for another thread. For Will Smith, he should have kept his butt cheeks firmly stuck to that chair.

Back
Top Bottom