Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
Isnt this what comedians are supposed to do at award ceremonies? Didnt Smith get the memo?

If this is seemingly 'ok' for the Hollywood elite, Ricky Gervais has been a very lucky boy so far during his presentations at the Golden Globes.
Exactly, this wasn't some shady pub where you need to "defend the wife's honour", this was an award show where jokes are told, and everyone who attended knew this.

Will Smith is more than happy to make jokes about sleeping with Margot Robbie's mother, but doesn't like it when jokes come back to his family. Presumably the people defending Smith would also think it's perfectly acceptable for Margot Robbie's father to hit Smith?

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly, this wasn't some shady pub where you need to "defend the wife's honour", this was an award show were jokes are told, and everyone who attended knew this.

Will Smith is more than happy to make jokes about sleeping with Margot Robbie's mother, but doesn't like it when jokes come back to his family. Presumably the people defending Smith would also think it's perfectly acceptable for Margot Robbie's father to hit Smith?
This. For people saying if someone came up to a stranger in a pub and made a mild joke about their wife then they'd get a punch:
1. I think the majority of men wouldn't actually go straight to hitting them however sharp their keyboard is - a 'wtf you talking about' would come first in most instances I think, some immediately squaring up and getting in their face, and only a small number going to hit them as a first response.
2. An awards show hosted by a comedian is a completely different context to stranger coming up to you at a dodgy pub.

Soldato

Cracking jokes about sleeping with someone's mum....that's fair 'bants' in my book.

Mocking someone's wife's illness is not.

I'm pretty sure most people would agree there's a line, and it's somewhere between those two actions.

Caporegime
Cracking jokes about sleeping with someone's mum....that's fair 'bants' in my book.

I'm pretty sure most people would agree there's a line, and it's somewhere between those two actions.

He only said her shaved head, he mention nothing about her illness.

She also made an tweet or instagram post about "they can joke about it now!" before this, then when Rock did...and all this?

Soldato

Probably best you and Smith stay out of the comedy clubs then if you can't take a joke about a shaved head.

Caporegime
Having seen the full thing it was blatantly obvious he was laughing about the joke, then I bet Jada (who you can see was not amused) gave him an earful for it and then he went for Rock.

Man of Honour

This is an important factor for me. It can be utterly devastating for a woman to lose her hair. It's not the same as a man losing it. To laugh at that is stepping over the line.

Soldato

Im not going to defend the joke because it was poor, but the response wasn’t warranted.

You can’t physically assault someone like that on account of a joke. It didn’t show courageousness, it showed weakness on Smith’s part. It didn’t show wisdom either, it showed pure impulsiveness and an inability to control one’s self. It didn’t recapture his wife’s honour either, it had actually made what would have been a forgettable moment something that will be remembered forever, and not in a good way.

He could have confronted Rock and demanded an apology for example. But to default to physical assault, that only serves to reflect badly on Smith. You can’t set a precedent where it’s ok to assault comedians either.

Back
Top Bottom