Will the rog swift get a free sync update?

Soldato
If the competition is offering the same product for free and Nvidia are holding back the availability deliberately to force up prices (as a few people seem to think) Nvidia are handing sales to the other three manufactures and allowing them to under cut them.

This is a mass production market. You add the costs, look at the competition and price accordingly and hit full production as long as you can make sustainable profit. The only way any of these business plans make any sense is if Nvidia don't think Gsync will be a big seller or know they can't compete with FreeSync or plan on turning over low volume with big margins. The other possibility is if Nvidia run Gsync like they did with 3D and feel they might get some value from running the Gsync business at a loss.

Soldato
If the competition is offering the same product for free and Nvidia are holding back the availability deliberately to force up prices (as a few people seem to think) Nvidia are handing sales to the other three manufactures and allowing them to under cut them.
The G-sync competition has offered nothing more then small talk & rumours so far....;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The G-sync competition is offering nothing more then small talk & rumours so far....;)

Do you really think FreeSync will come to nothing? From what I've seen a lot of money has been invested from the monitor and semiconductor industry. Thats not happened by chance.

Soldato
Do you really think FreeSync will come to nothing? From what I've seen a lot of money has been invested from the monitor and semiconductor industry. Thats not happened by chance.
What I mean is no one can confirm at this time if freesync monitors are going cost more then a monitor without freesync till they been released or there prices released..

Soldato
From your own words

From what I've seen a lot of money has been invested from the monitor and semiconductor industry

And you think there going give you this tech for completely FREE !

Soldato
What I mean is no one can confirm at this time if freesync monitors are going cost anymore then a monitor without freesync till they been released or hard prices released..

I suppose not, as we don't know how much a Gsync logical board costs, but FreeSync scalers have been in production for months so the decision makers must be sure they can turn a profit and they will know how much a Gsync scaler costs to produce and licence.

Soldato
I suppose not, as we don't know how much a Gsync logical board costs, but FreeSync scalers have been in production for months so the decision makers must be sure they can turn a profit and they will know how much a Gsync scaler costs to produce and licence.

LG and Samsung and iiyama probably dont, as they never made any 3Dvision monitors and dont have any gsync monitors, they also dont or havent made gamer-centric monitors, i would imagine nvidia have not approached them

So far, no one has announced both a gsync and a freesync model have they? Only one or the other?

Soldato
LG and Samsung and iiyama probably dont, as they never made any 3Dvision monitors and dont have any gsync monitors, they also dont or havent made gamer-centric monitors, i would imagine nvidia have not approached them

So far, no one has announced both a gsync and a freesync model have they? Only one or the other?

I'm sure they will know. They will have been buying logic boards literally by the boat load for years.

Soldato
The point is, nvidia can drop the price of the gsync module any time they like, IF freesync is seen as competition and affecting sales

I've been doing a little more reading and it seems the big earner for Nvidia is the licensing fee they charge, and I think the licensee's might have something to say and a contract in place regarding drops and other manufactures taking a slice of forecast sales.

Soldato
I think Betamax and HD-DVD probably had a boat load of money poured into them as well :D

So has Gysnc. Unless the Syncs are free, the only market I can see for Gysnc is from the fanboys (I mean no offence by this) and ill informed. If that market is enough to sustain a profit for Nvidia is a big question, as people don't seem to upgrade expensive monitors very often and the margins would have to be very high for the supply chain to all take a cut.

Maybe Nvidia plan to become a monitor manufacture?

Last edited:
Soldato
Because "free" things always do really well against proprietary ones. I guess thats why i'm sat here playing assasins creed on my linux machine that killed off windows years ago...

Soldato
So has Gysnc. Unless the Syncs are free, the only market I can see for Gysnc is from the fanboys (I mean no offence by this) and ill informed. If that market is enough to sustain a profit for Nvidia is a big question, as people don't seem to upgrade expensive monitors very often and the margins would have to be very high for the supply chain to all take a cut.

Maybe Nvidia plan to become a monitor manufacture?

But "FreeSync" is not free. You require:

A FreeSync compatible monitor
A FreeSync compatible GPU

FreeSync, when it launches, is going to cost EVERYONE who wants it. There is very low chance of any retrospective firmware upgrades.

There will not be a SINGLE FreeSync monitor that launches and costs the same or less than it's equivalent Non-FreeSync sibling. It's a gamer grade feature, you will be paying extra for it even if it costs the hardware partner £0 to implement.

Soldato
But "FreeSync" is not free. You require:

A FreeSync compatible monitor
A FreeSync compatible GPU

FreeSync, when it launches, is going to cost EVERYONE who wants it. There is very low chance of any retrospective firmware upgrades.

There will not be a SINGLE FreeSync monitor that launches and costs the same or less than it's equivalent Non-FreeSync sibling. It's a gamer grade feature, you will be paying extra for it even if it costs the hardware partner £0 to implement.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this particular avenue of the discussion, unless you assumed that I was assuming someone would give me a graphics card and monitor for free :(

My situation is, I have two machines that are due new monitors and I want the the best possible monitors for my money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure what that has to do with this particular avenue of the discussion, unless you assumed that I was assuming someone would give me a graphics card and monitor for free :(

My situation is, I have two machines that are due new monitors and I want the the best possible monitors for my money.

To be fair to sin, earlier inthis thread you were telling everyone that there will definitely be firmware upgrades "confirmed"

Back
Top Bottom