Will you be buying Apple Vision Pro once it gets released in the UK.?

Lens reflections are very visible on high contrast content, and chromatic aberration (maybe it’s not exactly that but there is very visible colour splitting) is visible at the top and bottom of the displays.
perhaps I have become immune to some of the vr issues . I cut my teeth on the DK2 which has awful chromatic aberration and massive screen door effect as well as the cv1 which has a small FOV and terrible god rays. get used to those and I guess any headset looks amazing. I haven't seen the issues you have in my quest pro but would not confidently say they are not there. lucky me I guess.

Looks like I’ll be waiting until optics improve some more so see you all in 10 years time.
you really are missing out. can you not just adjust your expectation a bit? your choice of course but for instance I have a 70inch TV with surround sound and 3D now. i still enjoyed our 21 inch colour set 3 channels when I was a kid (hell I remember when we only had a B&W)

you really are missing out. can you not just adjust your expectation a bit? your choice of course but for instance I have a 70inch TV with surround sound and 3D now. i still enjoyed our 21 inch colour set 3 channels when I was a kid (hell I remember when we only had a B&W)
Not for the price. I will still give it a go at Apple Store but I’m now 80% sure I will not be getting it.

Last edited:
I can't put my finger on it but there is something horribly dystopian about this. It's definitely not helped by it being an apple product with them controlling everything on it.

It’s bad enough looking at screens so much (like me now). But looking at the world through screens? Honestly I don’t think this is going to take off in its current guise.

what do you mean by take off? I am not expecting some metaverse type 2nd life where we are all plugged in for 8 hrs or more every day .... but as just another entertainment device to use for a few hrs here and there why not?

What a disappointment that is, so basically if you want ultra high end then the Varjo xr4 is the one to get. Really all quite pointless until we get even more powerful gpus though.
the XR4 isn't really a consumer headset, its a bit like buying a John Deere tractor to mow your grass

Personally I think mixed reality is the issue here and Apple is selling essentially a dev kit or prototype to early adopters, its good they are in the game but as a standalone product well it just doesn't meet the MVP imho.

I'm curious to try one, and more so to see where Apple goes in 3 generations

Jobs would never have let this product launch. It's just too compromised, and doesn't have that immediate, clear and obvious enhancement to an everyday device to it that made the iPod and iPhone a success.

It's the sort of jank that Google puts out and bins a few years later. Not very Apple.

Here's a detailed text review from the verge which I found very comprehensive. I didn't watch the video, but it may be the same script used in the video.

Last edited:
Looks like I’ll be waiting until optics improve some more so see you all in 10 years time.

I didn't get a Commodore 64 when they first came out as I was waiting for ray tracing and DLSS.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Now that I‘m 100% sure Quest 3 just isn’t good enough for me I’m thinking of buying Apple Vision Pro once it‘s released here in UK.
I will give it a go at Apple Store and if i like it I’ll buy one for further testing.
For me to keep it it has to be free of the issues with optics I’m seeing with quest 3 and those are:
Internal reflections of pancake lenses in high contrast content
Reduced brightness and sharpness near the edges of the displays
Chromatic aberration
Bad black levels and contrast (this one is rather obvious that oled displays will eliminate completely).
I also don’t wan’t to see any kind of distortion from lenses so in other words for around £3500 starting price I expect perfection in display/optics department.
If there are software bugs and teething issues I’m willing to accept those.
Just to be clear I’m not saying the Quest 3 is a bad headset especially for the price just that it is not good enough for me and my use case.
While I like VR games there is nothing worthwhile for me apart from half life Alyx and I finished that multiple times including all the better mods so my main use case is video watching and desktop use in mixed reality.
Unfortunately, due to a couple of daft decisions that they've made, VR gaming is going to be impractical on the AVP:

1) The passthrough kicks in every time you move too much.

2) No controllers.

These issues CAN be solved post-launch, by adding a Guardian and releasing controllers, but even if they do that, developing for the AVP is going to be expensive.

Not only do you need a Pro Unity license to develop for it, they've also 'done a Unity' when it comes to installs. You need to pay Apple 50c for every first install after 1m.

So not only is it expensive to develop for, Apple will take 50c off you for each first install if you develop a hit.

You're better off with a Quest 3.

Not only does it have a FAR superior standalone library, it also has a huge PC VR library. With plenty of VR Mods and UEVR, which allows you to play UE4 and UE5 in VR.

And then you have the benefits of sideloading, too.

It’s bad enough looking at screens so much (like me now). But looking at the world through screens? Honestly I don’t think this is going to take off in its current guise.

With good development, you forget that you're watching a virtual world through screens. At least when it comes to VR.

This is why people lean on tables that aren't there. There's a Ronny O'Sullivan video where he leans on a virtual snooker table to take a shot, and he falls over.

I'll see if I can find it later.

Back
Top Bottom