Willy waving thread: show us your laptops!

Soldato
Well, I couldn't find anything like this, so I thought I'd make one. :p

Give us some details of your machine, how long you've had it, and possibly a cheeky picture or two. Nomatter how old or new, all welcome!

I'm a bit of a HP fanboy, so I got me this monster :cool:
It's an NW8000, a little bit of a dinosaur but still does what I need it to... and it was £100 from eBay. Score!

Specs:
Pentium M 1.7GHz
1GB DDR RAM
160GB Samsung M5 HDD
128MB ATi Fire GL T2 graphics
Absolutely mind-blowingly brilliant speakers (for a laptop)

Behold...
NC80003.jpg

Associate
I bought an IBM ThinkPad T43p from this really cool guy on ebay last summer. It died on me a year later though, so this time around I went for something newer.

ThinkPad X200:

kxMJ7h.jpg

wFuWOh.jpg

Not as cheap as your NW8000, but I'd say it was money well spent.

oh, was I meant to include the specs?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
160GB 7200RPM
Intel 4500MHD graphics
ThinkLight, TrackPoint, titanium hinges + other usual ThinkPad trimmings.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
p1000056b.jpg

Dell 1564 with i5 430 cpu, been back to Dell once for a high pitch wine, replaced HDD, now had fan & heatsink replaced.

Soldato
I loves me Samsung netbooks I do!

IMGP2066.jpg

IMGP2065.jpg

IMGP2063.jpg

OK, so only two of them were mine, and the white one has since been sold as a failed project, I still have the black NC10 with W7 and Ubuntu on it.

Soldato
Mine is just a boring ol' Studio 15 Model even if Red Microsatin so probably not worth posting but I was thinking of somehow customising my trusty IBM lappy so spice it up a little...hmm.

Caporegime
Dell XPS M1330

2.5GHz T7500
2GB Ram
200GB 7200RPM HDD
Slot loading DVD
LED LCD screen
Integrated GFX

dellxpsm13302.jpg

(obviously not mine:p)

Had it for about 3 years now, used to have a 7 hour battery life too, ideal for uni, now it's down to about 3-4. :(

Love it, small, powerful and beautiful. Hopefully I'll get an ok paying job after my Masters and swap it for a VAIO Z series, only thing that really matches it.:D

All the above laptops seem to be small ships rather than laptops! Not sure I'd want to put any on my lap! :p

Associate
Yeah get rid of the stickers, a little white spirit helps.

I thought the HP in the first pic was a packard bell until I read the specs

Actually did I not read somewhere that Dell were not going to bother with the stickers as it actually slows down the manufacturing process

Last edited:
Associate
@Amp34

Ive gone from a 13" laptop to a netbook and to a 16" desktop replacement laptop, you cant use it on your lap for long periods as it will burn, but I like it so much better as you get the benefits of a desktop, speed, screen size and graphics power given enough cash, and you can carry it around and get a few hours off the battery, I will never buy a desktop again.

I would have kept the netbook but I found my mobile phone to be great replacement for it, ie quick look up of stuff using voice search or a quick game or msn etc

Soldato
Dell Studio 1737

laptop1.jpg

laptop2.jpg

laptop3.jpg

2.2GHz CPU, 4gb RAM, ATi GPU, 250 and 320gb HDDs

Not been the most reliable laptop in the world. So far, it's been back to Dell for a new motherboard due to it not charging the battery. They eventually picked it up after countless phone calls and e-mails to their quite frankly, awful tech support in India. I don't think I'll ever buy a Dell again because of it.

I've also had to flash the firmware on the original hard drive. It started with the click-of-death and after doing some reading around, it had something to do with the power management parameters of the old firmware.

Been pretty faultless since then though and is a nice machine to use. The screen is excellent.

Also got a Samsung NC10 with 2gb RAM.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont want to fuss around getting the camera out.
I have this one:

Sony VAIO VGN-AW11Z/B
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
4GB DDR3 Ram
512MB Geforce 9600M GT
18.4in screen (1080p)
Blu Ray
I put a 64GB SSD in it for OS etc along with a 320GB storage drive

it_photo_6205_52.jpg

Associate
Is that HP any good raikiri?
I do like HP laptops, solidly built for the most part, Mines been great for nearly a year, and only cost £500, but I could do with a faster graphics card model.
What screen res does that DM4 run at, and what is the ATi card like.
It would be nice if I could get some thing like my HDX 16" with faster graphics and an iseries cpu and 1080p, I dont really want to spend HP envy money.

Associate
Lol used to fix those Sony laptops for a living, pretty much everyone that came in for repair was for the round plastic bits where the power goes in and power button are located, they break off really easy, meaning a new topcase is necessary, and problems with the nvidia cards too, but Im sure yours will be fine.

Id like an SSD in mine but only have the one bay despite being 16"

Back
Top Bottom