Wimbledon

Soldato
I really don't want to see him get a *.B.E until he retires to be honest. I know they gave Wiggins one but it doesn't seem right in your mid twenties.

It doesn't seem right to me that the British Lions will probably all be knighted and if England win the Ashes, they will also likely be knighted. Winning in a competition where there is only one other team to play against isn't quite the same.

One

One

Soldato
I really don't want to see him get a *.B.E until he retires to be honest. I know they gave Wiggins one but it doesn't seem right in your mid twenties.

Early to mid twenties is probably the best time to be a knight. You'll be at your peak fitness able to defend the realm from any terrorist dragons.

Soldato
It doesn't seem right to me that the British Lions will probably all be knighted and if England win the Ashes, they will also likely be knighted. Winning in a competition where there is only one other team to play against isn't quite the same.

Unlikely to happen but equally ridiculous if they do get knighted. Let the queen take them out for a night on the razz with her horsie winnings by all means but let them finish a successful career without such titles or the pressure that may come along with it.

Early to mid twenties is probably the best time to be a knight. You'll be at your peak fitness able to defend the realm from any terrorist dragons.

:D

Soldato
Has to be one of the best Wimbledon's for a long time, it's just a shame that the Women's final was so disappointing after the fantastic games that preceded it.

One thing that has annoyed me a lot this year is that every time something doesn't go their way they look up to their friggin' box as if they're making excuses to their coach or whatever :mad:.

Marion Bartoli arriving for Champions Dinner

Would love it if Inverdale turned up and said "Still wouldn't" :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing that has annoyed me a lot this year is that every time something doesn't go their way they look up to their friggin' box as if they're making excuses to their coach or whatever :mad:.

I think there's some sports psychology involved when they do this. The idea is to vent their frustration at the team in the box rather who soak it up rather than take it out on themselves. It's better Murray does that than smashing his hand up on his racquet which I didn't see him do this year. So many mental improvements as well as physical with Murray. He's got a great team behind him.

Man of Honour
I'm not saying it's not deserved. I'd prefer such honours to be dished out when sportsmen and women have retired, not just for one massive achievement but to celebrate their whole career. Nobody's going to forget what happened this Wimbledon and who knows, the way things are going he may win a few more slam titles including another Wimbledon or two before he retires.

I think similarly, I'd prefer to wait until the end of the athletes career or near enough before considering honours for them. It may be deserved but I still think it's more fitting to wait.

Makes you realise how rubbish Henman was LOL

Henman was a very decent player but I think his problem was he was born in the wrong era - he was serve and volley at the point where it was moving to being big baseline hitters. The game had moved on and that left him exposed, he did pretty well though considering how "limited" he was.

I actually thought that the Tournament wasn't that bad for players looking at their box but I did watch more of the mens matches so if you're talking about the womens matches then you might be right. I'd settle for a compromise though - they can look up at their coaches in the box as much as they want providing there's no grunting or screaming. Sound fair?

Soldato
I think there's some sports psychology involved when they do this. The idea is to vent their frustration at the team in the box rather who soak it up rather than take it out on themselves. It's better Murray does that than smashing his hand up on his racquet which I didn't see him do this year. So many mental improvements as well as physical with Murray. He's got a great team behind him.

Ah, fair enough if that's true. He has come on leaps and bound in the past 18 months and it's greta to see him conquering his demons.

I actually thought that the Tournament wasn't that bad for players looking at their box but I did watch more of the mens matches so if you're talking about the womens matches then you might be right. I'd settle for a compromise though - they can look up at their coaches in the box as much as they want providing there's no grunting or screaming. Sound fair?

It was actually Djokovic (in the Semi and final) and Murray (Quarter and Semi) for the most part. Sounds fair though. I don't mind a bit of grunting like Murray and Djokovic occasionally do but I can't stand that loud **** and the screaming from the women :o.

Soldato
So chuffed for Murray, not to take anything away from him but I did wonder when Djok would get some first serves in on a regular basis......I cant really remember him serving so poorly for a while, I'm prepared to be proven wrong as usual though.

Thoroughly deserved win, glad all the press hype will actually have to be re-themed for next year even though it will probably only change from "can we ever win it" to "can we ever win it again"

V F

V F

Soldato
Soldato
fantastic performance from murray and well deserved. ok novak hit a lot of unforced errors but lets not take anything away from andy. i was well impressed at how he responded every time he was put under pressure. :cool:

Soldato
fantastic performance from murray and well deserved. ok novak hit a lot of unforced errors but lets not take anything away from andy. i was well impressed at how he responded every time he was put under pressure. :cool:

You can't take anything away from Andy...time and time again Novak couldn't find a way past him and instead of waiting for a mistake which he said in his interview he tried to find that big shot...the defence from Murray force those errors. In most cases to call some of the them "unforced" errors is completely the wrong word to use.

It's great how the conversation can now move onto how many and not when will he win.

Soldato
It's great how the conversation can now move onto how many and not when will he win.

McEnroe has already said "6+" although I think that's more than an understatement the way he took Novak apart yesterday (against the fittest man on tour, with immense powers of recovery)

(I think the only one Murray will find difficult to win will be the French, but the other three - with two final appearances already in each - he will hopefully win multiple times)

Henman was very unlucky imo, for better or worse, he was still a brilliant player (and probably had just as much pressure on him as Murray did). I just don't think Henman was as single minded (in regards to leaving home at 12? years old to live somewhere else to favour his playing style - hmm could it be argued as a serve /volleyer Henman was in the right place anyway? I dunno)

I still have immense respect for TH, but am even more proud of AM and really hope he can be just as successful in events / years to come

Man of Honour
McEnroe has already said "6+" although I think that's more than an understatement the way he took Novak apart yesterday (against the fittest man on tour, with immense powers of recovery)

(I think the only one Murray will find difficult to win will be the French, but the other three - with two final appearances already in each - he will hopefully win multiple times)

Llendl was a great clay court player, and now that Murray has 2 majors including Wimbledon, maybe they'll spend more time working on his clay game. I still think Novak and obviously Nadal are way ahead of him on clay, but considering the way his game has improved over the years, I wouldn't put it past him.

Henman was very unlucky imo, for better or worse, he was still a brilliant player (and probably had just as much pressure on him as Murray did). I just don't think Henman was as single minded (in regards to leaving home at 12? years old to live somewhere else to favour his playing style - hmm could it be argued as a serve /volleyer Henman was in the right place anyway? I dunno)

I think Tim was just unlucky to be around in an era that had one of the best grass court players of all time in Pete Sampras. People say Tim wasn't that good, but at his best he was ranked 4th in the world. When has anyone in here ever been the 4th best in the world at anything?!

As for Murray, I am immensely happy for him. Every year he arrives with the expectation of the entire country on his shoulders, and every year he gives his all. His performance yesterday was exceptional, forcing Novak into so many mistakes because Novak knew he had to find the lines more than he would against anyone else. Murray was returning shots he had no right to, and that puts pressure on your opponent to come up with something special.

Now for the next challenges for him - more Slams, and becoming World Number 1. I honestly think he can do both, especially as he has reached his last 4 Slam finals. With Federer's powers finally fading, and Nadal's knees letting him down on everything except clay, we could really be into a new era in tennis with Murray and Djokovic being the dominant forces for the next few years. I think we'll see those two in many many more finals together over the next 3-4 years.

Associate
Up until recently,Murray has been up against Federer, Nadal AND Djokovich all at the same time. It's hard enough to beat one top player, never mind three on top of their game. As has been said tho, Fed and Nadal have dropped off somewhat and Murrays star has definitely risen. Deffo mire to come.

Back
Top Bottom