Windows 10

Associate
Looks good, no charms bar and start menu back yay :D

From what I saw earlier, there will be a charms bar for touch users - I doubt it will show with a mouse gesture though.

I like what I see here! I'll be waiting until the proper release though. This looks like the Windows they were working towards with the release of 8 and I can imagine 8.1 was a stop gap to ease the situation rather than a big development effort.

Soldato
"Install this on a secondary pc"

Nonsense! Main PC it goes :D

Haha, I'll be backing up my important stuff and jumping straight on to this on my main PC to see what it's like. Only takes like 5 mins to install an OS via USB, no no big deal to switch back and forth.

From what I saw earlier, there will be a charms bar for touch users - I doubt it will show with a mouse gesture though.

I like what I see here! I'll be waiting until the proper release though. This looks like the Windows they were working towards with the release of 8 and I can imagine 8.1 was a stop gap to ease the situation rather than a big development effort.

Yeah it looks great, depending on what you have plugged in the appropriate features are enabled / disable. So for me with no touch device, the much hated charms bar will be no more :D, plus start menu from the off means Microsoft are listening to the desktop users, the guys that have been there from the start using Windows... You think about removing the start menu altogether in Windows 8 after years and years of having one was the worst thing they could have done, finally putting things right lol.

Associate
Just noticed there's 10 devices on the poster thing, wonder if that will be the marketing for the 10 name. Developer board through phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, huge TVs.

The code name was Threshold and here we are at v10 so I am the only way who seems to think of the Star Trek reference to the warp 10 threshold?

Anyway I'm quietly excited about this since it seems to be going in the direction which W8 should have been in the first place. Trying to find out how to sign up for the Preview thingy that is mentioned in the video but can't seem to find anything as of yet.

After watching this I have to say I am impressed, it really does seem that Microsoft have learned to listen to their customers before building a product. I firmly think that this could well set them back on track after the disaster that was/is W8.

Stoner81.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha best reason I've read for jumping a number in naming;

Every second windows version was crap so they didn't want to risk calling it 9.

Windows xp (Good)
Windows Vista (Bad)
Windows 7 (Good)
Windows 8 (Bad)
Windows 8.1(Good)
Windows 9 (Bad)
Windows 10 (Good)

Assuming 8.1 was counted as a new version.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Associate
Did a whole lot of people completely miss this is nothing more than a Tech preview, this is barley even an Alpha model.

Where some of you seriously thinking this was going to show a finished product or something?

People judge by what they see, doesn't matter if it's an alpha build.

It's not helped when they start with marketing gobbledygook about how super special this version is they had to skip to number 10 or whatever all that nonsense was.

Also Joe needs a haircut (damn hippie!).

Associate
Same OS across desktop and tablet? Doesn't bode well.

I thought this was the best thing we saw yesterday, as I've mentioned before in the Windows 8 threads the way we have a mix of different desktop and full screen programs in Windows was a mess and a shame it didn't detect what kind of environment we're working in.

I think I suggested they should ask us on installation if we want to use it in desktop or tablet mode and then choose which programs we get by default so clearly they nicked my idea.

Constantly prompting which mode we want to be in seems a bit annoying but let's see where they go with this.

Soldato
I'm still getting "Windows Insider Program is almost here" screen :(. Although it is 2am in Redmond, so I guess when they said today they meant their time.

Back
Top Bottom