Windows 10

Soldato
Tips for improving general system slowness/browser responsiveness?

Just looked at my Dad's PC and it was dog-slow... he's says it's been like it since a recent update but before I start rolling things back I thought I'd check in here :D

Any thoughts? He's completely clean of virus's/malware etc.

Acronis can slow windows down unless you update it. I found it was very slow to start up until I updated Acronis.

Soldato
Is windows 10 boot time to login screen slower than windows 7/8?

Just wondering if I've borked the install somehow or it's slower generally.

Taking about 25 seconds to get to login screen.

Man of Honour

I've found it very random - not sure if sometimes it is doing update stuff - Win 7 and especially 8 consistently start faster for me.

Soldato

The boot up is slow a good few times after installation... You'll find it speeds up once it's sorted itself...

Soldato

Should be a lot quicker than 7, a tad quicker than 8.

Windows 10 has Fast Startup enabled by default which saves a known good OS startup state to a file and restores on startup. Think of it as a bare bones hibernation file with the kernel, system services and device drivers only. Changes to drivers, and windows updates will slow down the next couple of boots as it will likely do a full initialisation.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just migrated my system to a new build (gone from MSI P67A-G45 to Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming) and am really impressed by how Windows 10 handled the new mobo and associated connected hardware.

Absolutely everything worked just fine, first boot Windows pre-logon said it was configuring devices, then logon screen popped up.

All I had to do was re-activate Windows and that was it.

I knew Windows 10 system upgrades would be easy, just not this easy :p

As it stands, I've now had the same base install since 2009, just been doing OS upgrades each time and keeping the OS well maintained. Boot to desktop time is still ~20 secs, although this is without turbo boot enabled in the BIOS.

Man of Honour
Should be a lot quicker than 7, a tad quicker than 8.

Windows 10 has Fast Startup enabled by default which saves a known good OS startup state to a file and restores on startup. Think of it as a bare bones hibernation file with the kernel, system services and device drivers only. Changes to drivers, and windows updates will slow down the next couple of boots as it will likely do a full initialisation.

Not been my experience - sometimes it boots up about as fast as 8 but is often quite varied - my Windows 8 systems consistent boot very quickly but 10 wander about and not really that much faster than 7 on average - though my 7 systems generally are well optimised.

Soldato
I've mainly been testing Windows builds on the same corporate ThinkPads at work so YMMV. As with everything PC, there's near infinite variations of hardware. Also depends on the boot mode - UEFI is quicker to startup.

Soldato
Just migrated my system to a new build (gone from MSI P67A-G45 to Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming) and am really impressed by how Windows 10 handled the new mobo and associated connected hardware.

Absolutely everything worked just fine, first boot Windows pre-logon said it was configuring devices, then logon screen popped up.

All I had to do was re-activate Windows and that was it.

I knew Windows 10 system upgrades would be easy, just not this easy :p

As it stands, I've now had the same base install since 2009, just been doing OS upgrades each time and keeping the OS well maintained. Boot to desktop time is still ~20 secs, although this is without turbo boot enabled in the BIOS.

What's to maintain these days?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What's to maintain these days?

There;s still a lot of leftover crap from old ga,es/software when they're uninstalled, as well as temp files from apps that don't clean up after themselves.

The Registry is also not cleaned up after apps and games have been removed, and every time you create and delete icons on your desktop, the registry is populated with their details and not removed when those icons are removed etc.

This is my monthly schedule:

Maintenance.jpg

CCleaner sorts the registry cleanup out by removing, and these are the checkboxes I filter against:

Regiistry.jpg

Windows Backup creates a system image to external drive, and FreeFileSync maintains mirrored backups of documents, media and app data.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Press the shift key 5 times to turn it on. It's just an accessibility feature so that the upgrade to 10 is allowed through the installer linked above.

Associate
Press the shift key 5 times to turn it on. It's just an accessibility feature so that the upgrade to 10 is allowed through the installer linked above.

Which isn't necessary since there aren't any checks done to see if any assisting technologies are in use on the computer as it's an honour system.

Back
Top Bottom