Windows 10

Soldato
Not played with Windows10 much, this morning someone in the office managed to change their password and get it wrong locking them out.

Quick fix, boot off PuppyLinux CD, mount windows partition, swap over cmd.exe with sethc.exe, reboot into Windows10 and tap shift five times, hey presto the cmd window appears :D

Then used net user <username> * to reset the password and swap back the exe :D

Soldato
Power surge on the USB port in Windows 10

Hi guys,

A friend has had the pictured error on his Lenovo i5 laptop for a few months now, since introducing a Logitech USB mouse he thinks?

image.jpg

I had a look tonight and I couldn't fix it? Removing the mouse adaptor doesn't help, nor does uninstalling the USB controller and restarting, as suggested here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/SLN301114

The mouse works fine on other kit so it's not that :confused:

Any thoughts? The sound of the error alone with would drive me mad...

Thanks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Says power surge, so sounds like that adapter is causing an obscure power drain to the USB port for some reason on that laptop, or that laptop's USB ports cannot delivery enough power to maintain stable operation.

Soldato
Says power surge, so sounds like that adapter is causing an obscure power drain to the USB port for some reason on that laptop, or that laptop's USB ports cannot delivery enough power to maintain stable operation.
Take it a face value then? The laptop is still under warranty so I advised him to get it back to the retailer.

I've never seen anything like this before...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As a heads up it seems Windows 10 is automatically enforcing an nVidia driver update for quite a lot of people - for some this is actually downgrading their driver and resets settings and installs components people might have deselected for others they've skipped this driver due to it causing problems for them.

Another great job by MS.

Man of Honour
Just did it to me as well and it was a older driver. I really hate this lack of control over what Windows 10 installs!!

***Edit*** POS also changed my default sound from my Soundblaster Z to Nvidia though the HDMI cable to my monitors crappy speakers even though every option but the Soundblaster Z was disabled. Just leave my settings alone!!

Associate
pastymuncher;30486080 said:
Just did it to me as well and it was a older driver. I really hate this lack of control over what Windows 10 installs!!

***Edit*** POS also changed my default sound from my Soundblaster Z to Nvidia though the HDMI cable to my monitors crappy speakers even though every option but the Soundblaster Z was disabled. Just leave my settings alone!!

That's what happened to me last night... never use my monitor speakers.. pooped myself when the startup sound blasted out as the speaker volume was 100%!

Associate

When I upgraded my Nvidia drivers last week, the same happened to me. :(

Never had these problems with my AMD cards :D

Soldato
Rroff;30485771 said:
As a heads up it seems Windows 10 is automatically enforcing an nVidia driver update for quite a lot of people - for some this is actually downgrading their driver and resets settings and installs components people might have deselected for others they've skipped this driver due to it causing problems for them.

Another great job by MS.

Ah another clueless user who has no idea what is best for them. One day you will understand it's all for your own good. :D

Man of Honour
w00dy85;30486706 said:
When I upgraded my Nvidia drivers last week, the same happened to me. :(

Never had these problems with my AMD cards :D

It's nothing to do with Nvidia, it's Microsoft supposedly knowing what is best for us. I have updated Nvidia's drivers before and it hasn't changed my audio settings yet Windows decides to force a older driver on me and my sound settings get reset. The same thing kept happening after the Anniversary update until I disabled everything in the sound folder apart from my soundcard.

Man of Honour
marc2003;30486803 said:
Ah another clueless user who has no idea what is best for them. One day you will understand it's all for your own good. :D

Sadly I fully believe that is the perspective of whoever is project lead on this :(

Soldato
This happened to me earlier in the week. Went off to do something, came back and resumed a track I was listening to. Noticed it sounded different then Windows froze and the sound coming out of the monitor speaker was awful and then BSOD'd and restarted. Worked out that Windows 10 had changed my nVidia drivers for me and changed the playback device from my sound card to my monitor.

I do wonder how responsible the enforced change of playback device was for the BSOD and restart.

Man of Honour
Looks like next major feature update will have the ability to properly group start menu tiles... about time... now if only they'd fix some of the other things that are detracting from the OS :s

Permabanned
Microsoft need to stop forcing things on people and take the route Apple does.

Sick to death of people saying their systems have broke doing updates or problems with drivers etc.

Microsoft should get it right in the first place they big enough not too. Greed!

Don't use Windows at all now.

Associate
This happened to me earlier in the week. Went off to do something, came back and resumed a track I was listening to. Noticed it sounded different then Windows froze and the sound coming out of the monitor speaker was awful and then BSOD'd and restarted. Worked out that Windows 10 had changed my nVidia drivers for me and changed the playback device from my sound card to my monitor.

I do wonder how responsible the enforced change of playback device was for the BSOD and restart.

ye i had this also. a right pain in the backside. Also had it while i was watching a video updates installed which turned my screen black. This happened even though i have updates set to auto install when my PC is idle

Man of Honour
And I got so much **** from unimaginative people earlier in the thread who couldn't see these problems coming :( can but hope MS eventually listen to the growing discontent with the model.

Back
Top Bottom