Windows 10

Soldato
I've set every setting to do with updates in group policy and the registry and not had a update for months. It's been bliss.

I have set mine through group policy aswel, I have set mine todo the updates manually,, as I check for updates about twice a month.

That setting does nothing to stop driver updates - it changed awhile ago. Keep trying to highlight this in the other thread this stuff gets changed and even GPE stuff isn't any guarantee as pastymuncher found out.

I have sort of fixed this by stopping ms automatically updating the drivers that I want to update myself, by using "Show or hade updates" https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

Last edited:
Man of Honour
LOL MS being sued by multiple parties over automatic/forced updates. Sadly it will probably be settled out of court with little impact on MS's decisions going forward :(

Man of Honour
OP
downloading now, wonder if it will allow fresh install.

a few things have been annoying me since leaving the fast ring, settings is so much more fleshed out and I apparently use it far more than i realised.
and i want to see if edge is usable now, as chrome is so incredibly slow(and really starting to bug me) and edge is so incredibly fast(but missing far to many features to actually use).

but was overall underwhelming, redstone 3 should be more exciting. As the arm stuff got pushed backed to that, and I would love an arm tablet than can run any and all x86 apps.

Last edited:
Soldato
downloading now, wonder if it will allow fresh install.

a few things have been annoying me since leaving the fast ring, settings is so much more fleshed out and I apparently use it far more than i realised.
and i want to see if edge is usable now, as chrome is so incredibly slow(and really starting to bug me) and edge is so incredibly fast(but missing far to many features to actually use).

but was overall underwhelming, redstone 3 should be more exciting. As the arm stuff got pushed backed to that, and I would love an arm tablet than can run any and all x86 apps.

The iso is available links on neowin site - https://www.neowin.net/news/isos-fo...ld-15063-can-now-be-downloaded-from-microsoft

Man of Honour
OP
damn it i went ahead and upgraded before you posted, oh well i'll leave it for another day.

Boo 3rd party vpn software still doesn't work on it, they've obviously changed something at the back end and vpn providers haven't updated their software yet,
however manual configuration using the built in settings does now work, unlike the last build i tried. So that's something.

time to give edge another try and see if its got enough features to be a daily browser or if its still a new born and needs growing up.

Soldato
Well they pulled new Update Assistant too probably after heard the news about Creators Update leaked early realised they had links enabled by accident so now all links are disabled.

So I updated my desktop PC yesterday with Update Assistant took about 10 mins to download Creators Update files then restarted and installed Windows 10 build 15063 took less than 15 mins.

I am very surprised to noticed both Edge and Chrome ran really incredible stable and snappier on Windows 10 Creators Update so no more tabs freeze or crashes anymore. :D Everytime since Anniversary Update I had Chrome tabs froze not responded for few secs and Edge tabs not responded and crashed. Thank god Creators Update fixed it! :)

Very impressed with new features, absolutely loved Night Light mode which made massive difference with my tired eyes at late night. I found Edge's new feature Set aside tabs for later very cool and awesome, very useful to reduce massive tabs and memory wastes. I had Chrome with 103 tabs opened which used around 3GB memory so I tested Edge with 10 tabs opened with 93 tabs aside for later with same tabs from Chrome used only just 100MB memory on Edge. Wow impressive. :)

Didnt noticed any performance differences in games with Game Mode enabled and I noticed Action Centre was still the same. Guess we will see new Action Centre from upcoming cumulative updates.

Permabanned
Hello, I just wanted to get confirmation on something Win 10 related without starting a new thread so if anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

I'm tired of having to keep buying a new OS when I do a new build so I want to know if a copy of Windows 10 pro 32-bit/64-bit English International that states it is not machine specific can be used on several builds and if so is there a limit to how many times I can use it?
Cheers.

Soldato
To me it looks like more crap that I don't need or want so I will be spending time uninstalling/disabling thing's yet again.

Thanks a lot, after reading that I think I would have to agree it's more crap most people will not use or want. Pc is used for gaming and none of the rubbish that comes with windows 10 so not needed.

Soldato
See here. To me it looks like more crap that I don't need or want so I will be spending time uninstalling/disabling thing's yet again.
That's exactly why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10. The thought of having to uninstall apps and whatever rubbish is installed and enabled puts me right off. I'd end up stripping all the apps from the ISO and reinstalling every 6 months - not always enjoyable. ;)

That's before the privacy stuff that I disable, which the updates are known to re-enable. :mad:

Soldato
Trying the latest build on a spare hard drive and it still has niggles that are preventing me using it full time. Like just now, mpc-be freezing up for a few seconds when I closed it while it was playing. This has never happened on 7/8.1 on the same hardware. And at 2am this morning, I was listening to music through my soundcard/headphones when it suddenly started blaring from my monitor speakers. This was because it updated my soundcard drivers and the default device switched itself without any kind of prompt. This is the behaviour of pre-alpha software. :/

Looks like I'm staying on 8.1 for a bit longer. :p

Back
Top Bottom