Windows 10

Soldato
Well I decided to upgrade to windows 10 but looks like I will be going back to w7 when I get time to do it.

Start menu opens and then cannot click on anything in there like settings, apps or shut down options. Re created a USB stick and tired a ISO as well but same issue on both, seems to work when I first get in to windows but then after a reboot it stops working and then cannot run do Sfc scan now as then it states it cannot start the repair service.

A shame as I wanted to use windows 10

This was doing clean install each time on a different ssd.

Man of Honour
OP
reinstalled the other nght as I was having some network issues and want to try and rule out windows. But decided to give edge a proper go, as Chrome has really got slow and annoying recently. So far much improved, adblock actually blocks ads on youtube now, which was my biggest bug bear when I tried using edge before.
So far it is so much faster(which I've found ever since it came out) than chrome and lighter on resources as well. Just have to see if I feel the same over the next week or if I see any issues. But after a few hours it seems it might actually be a proper browser now and not the half finished mess it was.
not many extensions yet, but its got the big ones I use.
I also see it is the only browser atm which supports Netflix UHD

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Must be some issue with your hardware.

Had issues like that with a couple of systems - though it didn't normally start immediately after a new install though did once or twice - never did narrow down a common denominator even changing around a lot of hardware but keeping the same motherboard it would still happen but both systems have very different motherboards. Had to stick em back on their original OSes as it was a pain to reinstall Windows every few weeks or months.

Soldato
Had issues like that with a couple of systems - though it didn't normally start immediately after a new install though did once or twice - never did narrow down a common denominator even changing around a lot of hardware but keeping the same motherboard it would still happen but both systems have very different motherboards. Had to stick em back on their original OSes as it was a pain to reinstall Windows every few weeks or months.

I went back to w7 as when I did a clean install of 10 it did the same thing so gave up. A shame as when 10 first came out I didn't have this issue and used it for months problem free

Soldato
I used to have a start menu issue, when the machine had been on for some time the start menu would no longer open, I'd have to log out and back in or restart the explorer service, they fixed it in an update, since the last update it's broken again. Very annoying, anyone have a fix?

Soldato
I used to have a start menu issue, when the machine had been on for some time the start menu would no longer open, I'd have to log out and back in or restart the explorer service, they fixed it in an update, since the last update it's broken again. Very annoying, anyone have a fix?

Mine never worked from when I first got in to windows, right click then shut down worked but the start menu in general just did not work after clicking the start button. did 2 x clean installs and even a factory reset of the OS and nothing fixed it. I didn't have time to sit here trying to find fixes for it as when W10 first came out I had no issues at all and only went back to W7 to try and troubleshoot BSOD issues to rule out W10 causing the issues.

Maybe ill try again in a year or so and see if it works again but for me W7 id trouble free and doesn't require any messing around

Soldato
Had 10 since it came about and recently upgraded to the creators update and had no issues either, I consider myself quite lucky as it seems nearly everyone else has had some kind of issue with W10.

Been using Win10 since day one, my upgrade tonight went smooth so no issues to report, was not expecting any to be honest and I use my Win10 every day, will do my Win10 laptop tomorrow ( that should go smooth as well).

Another happy Win10 user and gamer here :).

Man of Honour
OP
finally getting some info about the VR Microsoft announced what was it a year ago.
I hope it is only a couple hundred bucks, unlike the holo lens

Soldato
I'm having an issue with the Windows 10 start menu. It shows all my installed programs, but if I search by starting to type in the start menu, it won't show the programs I have installed. For example I install Office with Word and Excel - if I type Word or Excel into the start menu, neither will be found even though I can see them listed amongst the programs. I've installed StartIsBack as a stop gap for now, but it's pretty frustrating.

One surprise I did find was the ability to choose my own taskbar and start menu colours again. A bigger surprise was being able to enter the RGB values. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
I tried W10 when the free version came out, no problems converting from W7 to W10, disabled all the extras I didnt want and it ran lovely and fast, but then it got into an update loop, continually failing to install updates on booting and then rolling back, so I went back to W7
I will probably try it later in the year when I have got new hardware.

Soldato
w10 has been solid for me, except for this recent upgrade, in each case when a pc was upgraded it utterly ruined the homegroup and sharing, involving a folder deletion and recreation, then all was rosy.
Irritating, but when solution found only takes a couple of delete reboots to sort.
Useful as we share a computer attached printer at home.

Man of Honour
OP
after testing edge for a week, moved to opera.

just two issues otherwise i would have stuck with edge and called it the better browser.
it crashes several times a day, which i just cant deal with.
50% of the time when changing tab, rather than just changing tab, it pulls it out into a new browser, far to sensitive chrome and opera do not do this ever.
Those two issues are extremely infurating, shame as other than that it is super fast and a lot lighter on resources if you are using a low end device.

Soldato
Wonder why it crashes?
I've weirdly not had an edge crash in months and months, which frankly amazes me.
In fact, its been so long since the old 'webpage has crashed clicked to recover' I can't think of the last page which caused it.

No doubt now I am in trouble. Expecting thousands of catch up crashes.

Man of Honour
I've never had it crash with 2 tabs open but weirdly with 3+ it will crash now and again - just stops responding and the window goes white for no particular rhyme or reason I can see, sometimes just basically have nothing more complex than google open.

Man of Honour
OP
Wonder why it crashes?
I've weirdly not had an edge crash in months and months, which frankly amazes me.
In fact, its been so long since the old 'webpage has crashed clicked to recover' I can't think of the last page which caused it.

No doubt now I am in trouble. Expecting thousands of catch up crashes.
no idea, its a fresh install.
a page will just freeze (and different sites, so I don't think its the site that causes it) then a few seconds later it'll just close the entire browser.

Soldato
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I have problems with Windows 10 and the recent big update. Since installing it, my computer, about 80% of the time, doesn't boot first time. There's a black screen with a band of graphical nonsense (greens/reds/blues in a thin band across the screen) the screen goes black, then it eventually reboots of it's own accord without any issues. I've reinstalled my graphics drivers and tried the newest ones recently, but it still occurs... Was hoping M$ would have fixed it by now?

Anyone got any ideas as to how to solve it please? :)

Back
Top Bottom